PDA

View Full Version : ummm. how greatly am i hindering myself by making a gnome warrior

sakenagi
01-16-2015, 01:30 PM
i like gnomes. i want to make a gnome warrior, but the lack of strength and stamina compared to an ogre completely discourages me. is the difference that big? is making a gnome warrior over an ogre the same as buying a 121 horsepower minivan for 5,000 vs buying a van at 140 horse power for 4,5000 dollars

Formshifter
01-16-2015, 01:37 PM
If you've got the shinies to twinkle it out, you should be ok, but dont expect to be a raid MT. If you enjoy it, do it. If you want to do it exceptionally well, go ogre. Get a cobalt bracer if you can though, as ogres and dungeons dont often mix well without shrink.

Doomgaze
01-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Ogres have frontal stun immunity. If you go gnome, don't come home.

sakenagi
01-16-2015, 01:39 PM
./cry

Kope
01-16-2015, 01:43 PM
In classic/kunark era gnomes can tank like any other race. Yes, ogres have better stats and have frontal stun immunity, but the mobs in classic and kunark really aren't that hard. You can MT anything any other race can with the same gear.

That being said I'm not 100% positive this applies to velious. I assume it should be very similar and you should be able to MT 90% + of the things everyone else can, but I haven't played in velious in...12..13 years?

maskedmelon
01-16-2015, 01:48 PM
In group play, I would say the difference is negligible. It will be more difficult to max sta, essentially putting you about 300hp behind an ogre. I don't see that as game breaking and tend to think FSI is grossly overrated given the infrequency of its incidence.

Ezalor
01-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Situations in which picking Ogre on a blue server is smart:

- You're 100% guaranteed to be raiding on this character full-time
- You're 100% guaranteed to be your guild's main raid tank
- You give absolutely no fucks about looks, faction, or anything other than making sure you picked the most optimized race
- You really, really, really insist on being the MAIN raid tank and being raid off-tank isnt good enough for you

^^ If ALL of the above are true, pick Ogre. Otherwise, it absolutely does not matter whatsoever.

zanderklocke
01-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Best of the Best warrior was a halfling, not an ogre. Food for thought.

Cecily
01-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Perma shrunk and cute. Do it.

August
01-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Gnome is the master race. Refer to Sirkens 'best race for every class' list.

Shea
01-16-2015, 03:17 PM
As a gnome warrior, let me say with confidence that you're not hindering yourself choosing gnome, with the one caveat being that ogres get frontal stun immunity, making them ideal main tanks for raid situations.

Some things that people don't realize about gnome warriors is that they have innately high dex, which means that in group situations (especially ones without shamans for dex buff) they really do shine - higher dex = higher chance of proc rate = better aggro overall. Also, gnomes can wear enchanted dwarven plate armor, which is up there with the best plate armor in the game and evens out their stat weaknesses. The Enchanted dwarven plate greaves, for example, are pretty close to cobalt greaves, -15ac, -8dex, but +4MR +2FR. Almost all the pieces have MR which add to a gnome's already stellar innate MR.

Yes, gnomes have less innate STR/STA, but those are the easiest stats to max as a warrior so the deficit in that regard is not bad.

So my advice would be to go for it, they are really nothing to sneeze at.

captnamazing
01-16-2015, 03:27 PM
I play a halfling warrior and have raid tanked for about a year now. Guilds will opt for the ogre tank for main, usually, but there are plenty of circumstances where there isn't one around.

More inconvenient than not having frontal stun immune is being small-statured. In a raid of 30+ people, it's always easier to see an ogre.

Imo, roll whatever warrior you want. Learn the class and rep the race. If you really strive, you'll end up tanking raid bosses.

kaev
01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
I play a halfling warrior and have raid tanked for about a year now. Guilds will opt for the ogre tank for main, usually, but there are plenty of circumstances where there isn't one around.

More inconvenient than not having frontal stun immune is being small-statured. In a raid of 30+ people, it's always easier to see an ogre.

Imo, roll whatever warrior you want. Learn the class and rep the race. If you really strive, you'll end up tanking raid bosses.

You know we only overlook you when we're being bad bro. Support toons need to get their /target and /assist macros ready before the raid, rather than after the wipe.

Seriously OP, the ogre frontal stun immunity thing is an edge, especially when positioning a raid boss, but an edge is not the same thing as a class-defining ability. A warrior of any race can tank any mob in the game. Play well & be fun to have around, you'll do fine.

Crawdad
01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
i like gnomes. i want to make a gnome warrior, but the lack of strength and stamina compared to an ogre completely discourages me. is the difference that big? is making a gnome warrior over an ogre the same as buying a 121 horsepower minivan for 5,000 vs buying a van at 140 horse power for 4,5000 dollars

Your average forum-goer takes this game more seriously than 99% of the people you'll meet in-game. Unless you plan to be part of the Bleeding Edge 1%, pick whatever race you enjoy the most. If you Do want to be part of the 1%, well, you're starting here a bit late. So just roll what you enjoy the most!

The server is... 5, 6 years old? Most established raiding guilds are going to already have MTs who are decked out. If you join an up-and-comer, just be good at your job and you'll get to MT. Don't worry about the end-game, just enjoy the ride.

Edit: Just wanted to add that on Live we had many server firsts and we had nothing but Dwarf, Half-Elf and Wood Elf warrior MTs. Also a Barbarian. Zero Ogres, not even Shaman. Race just doesn't matter as much as being competent. Shrink/small races are great for a few Velious bosses, even.

Bristlebard
01-16-2015, 05:06 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5003/gnomeb.jpg

Gnomes. Wear. Goggles.

HeallunRumblebelly
01-16-2015, 05:11 PM

Halfling warrior OP. God tier sneak tagging.

Swish
01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
With BIS gear everyone is the same really except for stun immunity.

Don't be tempted to min/max, if gnomes are your thing then go right on ahead ;)

Raev
01-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Gnome is the master race.

Also, Gnomes actually have the same STA+DEX total as Half Elves (more than Humans, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves) and are only 10 points behind Barbarians and Halflings. And in Velious you get some sweet cultural tinkering clickies including Haste!

Formshifter
01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
- You give absolutely no fucks about looks

Idk what youre talking about. We're a handsome race.

Also, you can pretty much guarantee you'll be raiding full time if you get to that point. theres always at least a few class r guilds recruiting.

Mistle
01-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Also, Gnomes actually have the same STA+DEX total as Half Elves (more than Humans, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves) and are only 10 points behind Barbarians and Halflings. And in Velious you get some sweet cultural tinkering clickies including Haste!

Yes, gnome warriors are the only ones who won't have to be a part of what promises to be a hell camp on this server over Stormfeather.

Cecily
01-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Halfling warrior OP. God tier sneak tagging.

Halflings are kinda gross, otherwise I'd agree. Gnomes you're like.. hehe gnome.

Ezalor
01-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Idk what youre talking about. We're a handsome race.

I was more of trying to say pick what you think looks the coolest. I personally like both gnome as well as ogres.

harnold
01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
if you make a gnome warrior, literally nobody will play/look at you, you will be forced to spend all eternity in kerra isle

Valrok
01-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Gnome Warrior all throughout Velious....MT'd AoW many times on Brell successfully. Do not listen to these haters... <3 gnomes

iruinedyourday
01-17-2015, 01:54 AM
tbh the most important stat of all time is Fashion. You are getting mad fashion points with a gnome war.

Jigawatts
01-17-2015, 02:11 AM
tbh the most important stat of all time is Fashion. You are getting mad fashion points with a gnome war.
My wood elf druid wearing all plate graphic armor agrees.

shydagger3
01-17-2015, 02:17 AM
you won't notice one difference at all once you have decent gear

applesauce25r624
01-17-2015, 06:43 AM
ogres - stats and stun immunity

iksar - regen / AC bonus

dwarves - alcohol and barrel rolls

halflings - furry foot fashion

gnomes - see through walls and can look up barbarian skirts (female kilts?)

Nirgon
01-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Think for a minute how many pieces of gear it would take to make up those stats

Then again whatever makes you happy

Tasslehofp99
01-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Most, if not all, 60 warriors who raid will have max sta/str/agi/dex with buffs.

The only disadvantage gnomes/halflings have is that it may take a few more slots of +stat gear which ogres/trolls could put into +HP/AC/Resists or whatever.

You also never have to worry about shrinking as a non-fatty, which is awesome in itself.

I'd go with Halfling for hide/sneak personally, those two skills alone are OP as fug.

Argh
01-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Races don't really make a noticeable difference for warriors. Make whatever makes you happy.

Xer0
01-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Everyone here makes valid points, but consider that: as a new player on the server a it will take you a long time to get the gear required to make the starting stat bonuses nill. If you dont plan on hardcore raiding, or raiding at all you may not even see that day.

While int he end, long term, it doesnt matter much what you pick.. In the beginning, using cloth armor and rusty weapons you will certainly feel the difference 140 str/stam makes.

Bristlebard
01-17-2015, 10:38 AM
While int he end, long term, it doesnt matter much what you pick

Is this really true? Will a gnome wearing faction armor and stuff like that really be able to max his melee stats with sham buffs? Not everyone is going to be in ToV and ST gear, even 3 years from now.

Edit - nm, looked at warriors magelo profiles right now and even the casual-ish guild warriors are 150+ with all 4 stats :)

radda
01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
having no frontal stun immunity is not a problem if your raid knows how to attack off briefly at times while stunned.

Tasslehofp99
01-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Is this really true? Will a gnome wearing faction armor and stuff like that really be able to max his melee stats with sham buffs? Not everyone is going to be in ToV and ST gear, even 3 years from now.

Edit - nm, looked at warriors magelo profiles right now and even the casual-ish guild warriors are 150+ with all 4 stats :)

Yes, even with the lower tier quested armor and items you can get without raiding most tanks should be capped in str/dex/sta/agi.

Fael
01-17-2015, 11:05 PM
Do gnome warriors get defensive ? If so then what does anything else matter ?

Dolic

fastboy21
01-18-2015, 12:39 AM
if you playing it for fun (omg...gasp! playing a game for fun!) then nome is cool. you are small and memorable...much more so than the random ogre named "meatshield" or "Barshbarsh" that you will encounter.

war is a pretty boring class. there is very little you can do to make yourself better than your stats/gear other than not going afk. so, if you are planning to play the warrior as your main and want him to actually be "the best" (no such thing in EQ...) then gnome isn't for you. you'll get max level and realize be pissed you didn't roll something else.

personally, i have a nome warrior.

pharmakos
01-18-2015, 12:44 AM
gnome warriors still raid tank better than ogre SKs

them disciplines

webrunner5
01-18-2015, 06:27 AM
I HAD a Gnome Warrior long time ago. HAD, like means, I don't now. :D It is about as close to a sharp stick in the eye you can do on here. There is Hard Mode and Than what you want Hard Mode. :eek:

I hope you have a Very understanding Wife, GF, or small dog that does not bite too hard when you kick them often. :p:p And you will, and yourself in the ass for having it. :(

Poetic
01-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Best of the Best warrior was basically just a snowball fight. The warriors weren't even jousting. Had all the warriors played the same way, the winner would have either been iksar or troll for the regen. I wouldn't let warrior BOTB factor in anyway. As a warrior you are having to tank things in melee range. A gnome is fine if thats what you want to play. If you want an edge for raiding pick Ogre or Iksar (Velious). If you want an edge for solo/duoing, Troll is a great choice for regen/stats. If you want to play what you want and willing to suffer the stat differences to level 60, play the gnome.

Bboboo
01-19-2015, 02:11 AM
Number one answer to these types of questions is, you'll probably never get to the level for it to matter anyway, play what you want.

Clark
01-19-2015, 05:50 AM

Lol :)

Clark
01-19-2015, 05:52 AM
If you want an edge for raiding pick Ogre

Decad
01-19-2015, 09:05 PM
All races is the same in the end if you know what to do. The extra HP matters very little in velious considering how much harder mob hits.

Play whatever you like.

maskedmelon
01-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Best of the Best warrior was basically just a snowball fight.

Intriguing. Are uoubspeaking figuratively, or referring to a specific item or tactic?^^ I assumed the former, but had to make sure!

Cecily
01-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Small races have a big advantage in jousting.

Xer0
01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Number one answer to these types of questions is, you'll probably never get to the level for it to matter anyway, play what you want.

I tend to agree with you as an individual who has been around a while and has managed to make a fair few plat and such. However you're failing to point out that as a new player with 0 gear or platinum, the extra 60ish stamina/strength you get by choosing ogre or troll completely DOES make a difference in both tyour survivability and ability to deal damage.

Secrets
01-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Gnomes have the same hitbox as a halfling though, and halflings have arguably better stats. Dwarves have even better warrior stats, but level slower.

So if you want a small race that levels fast with a minor stat penalty, Halfling. If not, Dwarf. No reason to go gnome other than appearance.

fastboy21
01-20-2015, 06:20 AM
Gnomes have the same hitbox as a halfling though, and halflings have arguably better stats. Dwarves have even better warrior stats, but level slower.

So if you want a small race that levels fast with a minor stat penalty, Halfling. If not, Dwarf. No reason to go gnome other than appearance.

uhm tinkering!

webrunner5
01-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Best of the Best warrior was basically just a snowball fight. The warriors weren't even jousting. Had all the warriors played the same way, the winner would have either been iksar or troll for the regen. I wouldn't let warrior BOTB factor in anyway. As a warrior you are having to tank things in melee range. A gnome is fine if thats what you want to play. If you want an edge for raiding pick Ogre or Iksar (Velious). If you want an edge for solo/duoing, Troll is a great choice for regen/stats. If you want to play what you want and willing to suffer the stat differences to level 60, play the gnome.

Best advise on here. Well done. :cool:

Bboboo
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
I tend to agree with you as an individual who has been around a while and has managed to make a fair few plat and such. However you're failing to point out that as a new player with 0 gear or platinum, the extra 60ish stamina/strength you get by choosing ogre or troll completely DOES make a difference in both tyour survivability and ability to deal damage.

Level a Druid to 29/34 for quick plat and semi twink um.

webrunner5
01-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Yeah, but the problem is a Warrior is not a cheap class to play, and playing a Evil Race one is even harder for a Noob. I would him rather be a Gnome, easier I would think in the short run, get it, short.:p

Taminy
01-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Doesn't really matter, we've had wood elf and dark elf MA and SA who have even worse stats (stamina) than gnomes.

And frontal stun immunity is nice but it's not that important for a warrior (it's more relevant to a soloing shaman). Aggro can be always be solved in xp groups by rooting and on bosses with mallets and root nets.

maskedmelon
01-20-2015, 10:46 AM

So in other words, a shorty could stand within melee range of a fatty while being outsid the fatty's melee range?

Bodybagger
01-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Troll is the master race... ogre is over rated. All ogre does is hit str/sta cap slightly earlier, which doesn't make that huge of a difference. I'd gladly take the regen leveling over the stun immunity, you literally never notice it as a melee really. Iksar is like a troll that can't wear the best armors... and gets an ac bonus and is even more hated.. but fits through doors and keeps the regen.

All other races you are basically just choosing looks imo. Faction means nothing, you don't level in cities and don't ever have to train as a warrior really, not like you are buying spells regularly. So you only need to vendor sometimes, which with a ton of strength, and eventually even WR bags, you're a heck of a pack mule. Hell my barbarian rogue is known as the 400lb rogue because I will never stop looting and will pass off lighter items that stack and take full bags of fine steel in to vendor haha.

I'd go gnome SK maybe but not warrior. Halfling better in every way unless you're gong for tinkering... and Halfling has some cool armor honestly. But then if I wasn't playing an evil race, I'd be a barbarian. Only reason to be a non large race is if playing a class they can't be, in my book. Honestly you can play anything you like and it 100% DOES NOT MATTER.

Play an erudite paladin, no one will care, and you will get to enjoy shield of the stalwart seas. The game was made to be enjoyed by everyone. Make anything you want and enjoy!

Xer0
01-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Level a Druid to 29/34 for quick plat and semi twink um.

not as quick plat as you'd think. people are stingy and lots of druids around for porting.

pharmakos
01-20-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd go gnome SK maybe but not warrior.

not on this server you won't

maskedmelon
01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
not on this server you won't

Way to set him straight Pharms. >.>

Bboboo
01-20-2015, 04:12 PM
not as quick plat as you'd think. people are stingy and lots of druids around for porting.

Took me a few weeks to port up a fungi.

captnamazing
01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
the question is: how greatly are you hindering yourself by NOT making a gnome warrior (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176382)

gauntlet
01-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I can't decide on whether to create a gnome or Halfling warrior.

Arteker
01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
u got great dex as gnome , ogres can have better hp stats and str but at the time of grouping most of them dont have good dex and dont proc so they kinda useles unless u root the trash

Clark
01-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Ogre warrior is supreme.

Clark
01-21-2015, 01:43 AM
u got great dex as gnome , ogres can have better hp stats and str but at the time of grouping most of them dont have good dex and dont proc so they kinda useles unless u root the trash

The best warriors carry 20+ root nets imo. Counting on procs isn't near as reliable.

Then you got stuff like 10 charge puppet strings, 5 charge slow hammer, oil of fennin ro, other clickies.

Arteker
01-21-2015, 06:11 PM
The best warriors carry 20+ root nets imo. Counting on procs isn't near as reliable.

Then you got stuff like 10 charge puppet strings, 5 charge slow hammer, oil of fennin ro, other clickies.

thats why without those clikys my stupid unbufed 215 dex beats ogre full bufed 1170 dex

pharmakos
01-22-2015, 01:00 AM
i don't think anyone rolls a warrior because they want to do a lot of clicking. high DEX > high STA imvho =p unless you're looking at getting level 60 and main tanking velious raids.

mefdinkins
01-22-2015, 01:55 AM
i made a high elf enchanter instead of gnome to get what like 14 cha / int and I regret it every day.

Casting illusion gnome just isn't the same...