PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you've spent camping an item only to leave empty handed?

Evia
01-16-2015, 02:53 AM
Today I spent 11 hours in Droga trying to obtain an EoE. I saw the Soothsayer 3 times and he dropped 2 mantles and 1 bracer. I wish I could have kept at it but it was just getting ridiculous. After I left it got me wondering what other items/camps people have invested time at only to leave without getting the item they were after.

So, let's hear some stories!

CreamyCowboy
01-16-2015, 02:58 AM
24hrs + for monk epic stuff .. not on this server, but way back when heh.

Evia
01-16-2015, 03:11 AM
the worst part about it was the longer it went on the more I wanted to stay because I wanted to justify all of this time I had spent. Leaving felt like I had completely wasted the day away for no reason at all.

CreamyCowboy
01-16-2015, 03:21 AM
Oh yea I know what you mean. "One more spawn cycle then I'll leave .. ( no luck ) okay ONE MORE cycle!"

Swish
01-16-2015, 03:28 AM
Oh yea I know what you mean. "One more spawn cycle then I'll leave .. ( no luck ) okay ONE MORE cycle!"

nothsa
01-16-2015, 04:36 AM
When the fabled items were droping ojn live, i did the Lower guk camp FBSS, MTHS took 70 hours

Cecily
01-16-2015, 04:38 AM
I think waiting for a lottery spawn / loot drop is the worst part of EQ. I just farm plat here and there over several months and get something nice every once in awhile.

quido
01-16-2015, 05:12 AM
It took me over 30 hours across 3 sessions (mostly solo) to get my first Verix.

It was approximately the same (3 sessions for a total of about 30 hours) for my first Chardok pipe, except my last 10 hour session was in a duo.

I spent about 150 hours in early Kunark camping fungi - saw two staves, but never saw a fungi tunic drop until I camped it again like 12 months later.

Pint
01-16-2015, 06:19 AM
I once watched verina tomb for a friend for most of a week, part of which included a ~36ish hr marathon. Didn't end up getting verina that week.

Tankdan
01-16-2015, 06:54 AM
revamped Chardok - that bard illusion. Took me 3 or 4 days. It was on Live in like 2010, so it was a total waste of time regardless.

Swish
01-16-2015, 07:20 AM
People might laugh but I spent a long time on live continually clearing the stables in CoM trying to get the courier to spawn for the shaman epic. He was way way rarer on live but I never looked for the evidence to support it to get it altered here (many thankful shammies I'm sure).

Got him on the second session but logged out empty handed after 8ish hours the first time.

Daldaen
01-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Camped Gimblox for 12 hours one afternoon/evening here.
I was tabbing between EQ and catching up on TV or playing another game but that was dumb. Never again. I would just buy the MQ of it took more than 3 hours. Thus why MQ sales are a glorious thing.

golten
01-16-2015, 09:19 AM
i camped a DE illusion mask on another emulated server for probably 36 hours straight.

Cecily
01-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Spent 5 hours camping Blacken Iron Crown once. Worst loot for item camp ever.

Sirken
01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
back in late 99 or early 00, me and 2 pals took 8 hr shifts for 7 days trying to get the elusive Pyzjn to spawn with that damned GBS. we didnt get it. but i found out from my gnome pal that he got it 20min after we gave up on the 7th day. this was the first time i almost quit EQ.

Manticmuse
01-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Two years ago I spent almost 3 full days camping Xalgoz for his clicky fear staff. I took power naps for 20 minutes between spawns and almost lost my damn mind. When the jerk finally spawned with that beautiful sarnak head staff, I felt a giddy rush that was amplified by being on the brink of insanity. I hardly use it but wouldn't sell it for 100k. I couldn't ever camp something like that again, due to not wanting to and also not having the luxury of having three days uninterrupted time to do so. The staff serves as a badge of neckbeard honor, of which I should be ashamed but am oddly proud? This doesn't quite fit your question since I got the item, but at what cost? AT WHAT COST?

Mentathiel
01-16-2015, 09:36 AM
A couple of weeks back, I spent a couple of days in Lower Guk waiting for the Ghoul Assassin to pop and someone to kill him so I could loot the DE Illusion mask. I was level 18, I seem to recall, so it was not a safe place for me.

Worst of all was when he popped and I watched a group get ready to fight him. I was so excited until I saw they had a monk as their puller. The second he used FD, the assassin (who can see through Hide) noticed me and I ended up dead. The monk sent a tell saying that he could get the party cleric to give me a 0% rez, then another 10 seconds later saying that the cleric was dead. The mask rotted away while I sobbed quietly to myself in East Commons.

Now, while not the longest I ever spent camping, but perhaps the most dangerous was when I went to Chardok at level 10 in search of the Jagged Chokidai Spine I still use in my main hand. Two hours in Chardok (plus maybe an hour's travel time through some high-level regions) is a long time for a level 10 rogue, but totally worth it...

azeth
01-16-2015, 09:36 AM
On Live, during a transition between between a guild I was in before I joined what would end up being my permanent/raiding guild, I didn't have much help to do the Ragebringer.

Equipped a fishbone earring and hung around phinigel for probably 100-200 hours before I had an opportunity to pay a group for their Kedge robe loot.

thieros
01-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Pained soul the first time around on p99 cost me about 60 hours off and on including the longest sesh of about 14 hours. I buy that piece if needed now

maskedmelon
01-16-2015, 10:00 AM
I do not leave empty handed. Although, my camps may stretch across multiple play sessions, they are all I do until I acquire the item I am after. It never occurred to me that I should expect the drops in a single play session^^ I guess I just have it stuck in my head that I am camping something.... Rare ;)

zanderklocke
01-16-2015, 10:27 AM
I spent 18 hours over a few sessions camping the Mask of Deception. I became really good friends with Stephanie/Myliek at that camp. It was worth it for that reason.

Nuktari
01-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Another Droga nightmare,

around 18 hours straight at BG/Chief.
Didn't leave empty handed, but didn't get the Idol during that time.

#NeverAgain

http://media0.giphy.com/media/3JQxdiPakVWBG/200.gif

Juevento
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM
I spent 10 hours camping rotten skeleton. Longest I've ever been confined in one place. I about murdered someone.

I think camping stuff is dumb btw.

Iumuno
01-16-2015, 11:59 AM
I did from level 40 to 48 on Red recently in Droga, at either the chief or ss camp. Never saw an idol, earring, circlet. No fanatic ever spawned either.

bloodmuffin
01-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Goblin Goblin Gazughi Ring, I don't think there's anyone out there as unlucky as me when it comes to courier spawns. I think I've racked up 140+ hours total and still never got that fucker to drop, about 5 alts worth of leveling there + several days on my main, so many god damn couriers killed.

I've seen more T staffs out of KC than I have that stupid ring.

Troubled
01-16-2015, 02:33 PM
AC camp in mostly OoT over the course of 10 days on red, usually putting in 2-4 hours. Gave up and bought it. Found AC up in sro a couple weeks later just chillin.

dealicious
01-16-2015, 02:38 PM
spent over 200h on my gnome mask on eqlive with no success

zanderklocke
01-16-2015, 02:44 PM
spent over 200h on my gnome mask on eqlive with no success

Gnome mask is dropped by a warder?

Telin
01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
14 days about 4 hours a day for corrupted sea fury. It finally spawned and I died. Then spent another 10 days or so and finally got it with help. The first one was killed by a wizard for no reason which made me mad.

Clever
01-16-2015, 02:56 PM
I spent 100 hours over 7 days camping Xalgoz for a Staff of the Dreaded Gaze. At hour 100 I walked away and bought one.

triad
01-16-2015, 03:02 PM
spent 29 hour camping PS for VP key .. passed out at the keyboard around hour 25 work up 20 min later camp stolen .. they camped it for 3 hours gave up and i got it an hour or so after that .. was so happy

triad
01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
I've seen more T staffs out of KC than I have that stupid ring.
in all the years ive played this game and all the chars ive leveled through kc ive had 2 drop in MY group ever ..

but camp wise i did PS for VP key camped that sob for 25 hours strait .. passed out for 20 min and someone else snagged camp .. they left a few hours later and i got back on it for about an hour and he spawned

cormag
01-16-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm on day 4 now of trying to get a Sarnak Earring of Station (2)

Rararboker
01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Another Droga nightmare,

around 18 hours straight at BG/Chief.
Didn't leave empty handed, but didn't get the Idol during that time.

#NeverAgain

I'm in this boat. Spent a LONG time at chief, afk'ing between spawns, and never saw the idol once. Spent like 4 hours in OOT and got enough plat to just buy it for my warrior. Never again.

Malone88
01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Goblin Goblin Gazughi Ring, I don't think there's anyone out there as unlucky as me when it comes to courier spawns. I think I've racked up 140+ hours total and still never got that fucker to drop, about 5 alts worth of leveling there + several days on my main, so many god damn couriers killed.

Same here. Not that many hours spent, but I must have looted about 20 of those Spirit Catcher rings camping the Courier double-spawn.
Never got Gazughi Ring. Gave up and bought it.
Hoping the next time I do that camp, I'll have some karma stacked up in my favor...

Calibretto
01-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Raster of Guk. Not here, I got pretty lucky on p99. Back when kunark came out on live I spent the first few days of my time off from school waiting for another monk to get his. He finally did and left the camp, I spent 22 hours straight and went to bed at 12am the night before i had to go back to school. I woke up at 6am and checked to see if he was up (Longshot) and he was up! Looking me right in the face! I got him to about 35% and the minotaurs killed me. No time for CR, had to go to school. Ended up getting in some days later.

drktmplr12
01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Today I spent 11 hours in Droga trying to obtain an EoE. I saw the Soothsayer 3 times and he dropped 2 mantles and 1 bracer. I wish I could have kept at it but it was just getting ridiculous. After I left it got me wondering what other items/camps people have invested time at only to leave without getting the item they were after.

So, let's hear some stories!

Single session: 8-10 hours for Tagrin in Sol B of all mobs..He is usually pretty easy.

Total camping time: 35-40 hours for Tagrin. Luckily I was able to get from late 30s to late 40s at royals camp so i guess it wasn't entirely empty handed.

Rayzor84
01-16-2015, 03:43 PM
14 hours over 3 days so far for goblin gazughi ring. Would like it for breaking charm and can't really afford to buy it.

Left for the third day in a row angry.

indiscriminate_hater
01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I spent 100 hours over 7 days camping Xalgoz for a Staff of the Dreaded Gaze. At hour 100 I walked away and bought one.

plat per hour for camping that staff is so bad for that level. that thing is stupid rare

drktmplr12
01-16-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm on day 4 now of trying to get a Sarnak Earring of Station (2)

that damned earring.

Basically every time the guild did a monk epic fight.. I would run down there to try my luck while waiting for people to trickle in.

One earring so far.

Grombar
01-16-2015, 03:58 PM
3-4 months, usually at least 3-4 hrs a day in the revamped Hate on live. I must have killed over a 1000 ashenbone drakes and never did get a decrpit hide to drop for my SK epic. guildie ran across one while fighting in for another mob and MQ it to me...

SK epic has to be the worst by far.

Gooch
01-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Vex Thal Key on a PvP server. I had to key 4 toons so farming shards was insanely rough. I regret doing that quest to this day because VT was a horrid zone. I think I spent at least 40 or 50 hours in Maiden's Eye.

Daldaen
01-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Gnome mask is dropped by a warder?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=87434

I think he is talking about that one. The drop rate was pretty notoriously bad on that item and that zone sucked... Except it's raids. Mechanically some of the best raids EQ ever produced. Once they were fixed up to not be broken. In their pre-Nerf state they were really hard, we almost beat the hardest one but failed the timer by like 5 seconds and it was nerfed the next day. Sadface.

sox7d
01-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Raster took me 136 (30 minute spawns) I believe. I finally looted it, had an existential crisis and logged out of live for the final time. So, empty handed with any sort of intrinsic value.

Crawdad
01-16-2015, 04:57 PM
revamped Chardok - that bard illusion. Took me 3 or 4 days. It was on Live in like 2010, so it was a total waste of time regardless.

Came here to say the same thing. Oh Overseer Dal`guur. We had a static Exp group for Chardok after the revamp and would camp...I can't remember, all I know is we'd pull pretty much everything around herbalist. Anyways, spent weeks Exping here and finally just broke down and solo camped for the mask. Probably spent at least 96-120 hours total, but I have abysmal luck in general. This was right when the revamp happened, though.

Neriad Shawl was another soul killer, probably 3-4 days spent grouping/soloing and nothing to show for it.

Also Mushroom Grove VT shard. First time I fell asleep at the keyboard on my bard.

Wwoe
01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Stormfeather on Mith Marr. Spent 34 hours straight there, it would not spawn for some reason... I take 45seconds to use the restroom and come back to a barbarian warrior killing the bastard. But I did get a visit from Sobe who was the Best of the Best Druid on the server for a few years and we got to chat for a few hours, which I still remember to this day.

Swish
01-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Stormfeather on Mith Marr.

I remember a lot of swearing over that spawn :p

Poosammich
01-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Camped the Dark Assassin for varying 3-6 hour stretches over 3 days, maybe 20 hrs total in all. I think I was the only Nub dumb enough to go after an Erud Necro solely for the shoulders (http://wiki.project1999.com/Mantle_of_Souls)... No sooner did he spawn, than turn around and eat my widdle lvl 42 Necro face! Some buds did come over, and helped me rectify the situation, but it took me far too long for those shoulders. I never did replace them. =]

-Catherin-
01-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Bilge Farfathom. The PKT was worth a fortune on live. And for good reason.

I don't want to even admit how much time I spent in that zone until I finally got one.

Paleman
01-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Bilge farfathom. When this game came out he was awesome to farm. I didnt know of him but caught him on track when heading to Unrest to PL a friend, got that item and jizzed in my 17 year old pants. The next week I brought my moms coffee pot up into my bedroom and was straight poopsocking that mob. Waisted probably a good 60-100 hours on that shit. In hindsight it wasnt worth the time.

live and learn. wait I am playing this game again, so live and live? hehe

Rararboker
01-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Bilge Farfathom. The PKT was worth a fortune on live. And for good reason.

I don't want to even admit how much time I spent in that zone until I finally got one.

I have bad luck with this guy too. Never seen him while on a character over lvl 40. Run into him every time I am running my new character to unrest.

pasi
01-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Done like a dozen VT/VP keys and every epic at least once, nbd.

Anyhow, post from this same topic 2 years ago:

used to think that the RM nameds were stupid rare, but I didn't bother learning them on live. Seem to be a ton of Mithril Plated Girdles here. Bilge was ridiculously rare on live, but got figured out here.

Getting specific Efreeti Sky Drops is a huge pain in the ass if you don't have 3 years to do such.

Kunark - luckily most of the good items aren't horrible camps. The really shitty camps seem to be confined to useless quests - Failed Crypt Raider comes to mind. Pained Soul and Rotting Skeleton also suck, but they are worth the effort.

Velious Wise - aiming for a particular Skyshrine Wyvern/Cube drop was awful. Vaniki is a horrible camp when you take out server resets even if Prathun dropped all the details on spawning her. Revamped Chardok's 3 drop system blows for mobs that aren't easy to farm (Chokidai Vocal Cords easily being the worst offender). Some of the Kael quests require obtaining incredibly rare drops (I'm looking at you, Coldain Books), but you can usually just kill the quest giver.

Luclin was probably the worst offender with tons of ridiculously rare items on long respawn mobs.

Ridiculous Luclin Camps:
Medic's Pouch (zone wide iirc, I got mine the second day of Luclin, no idea if it was removed. Either way, dumb rare)
Various Umbral Drops like Yellow Fang Ear or Dathor Hammer (Rare drops off rare spawns)
Lcea Katta's Mask (~5% drop off long 5 day respawn)
Wand of Casual Blessings (~5% drop off long respawn)
Heart of Fungus (Good luck)

PoP Wise - the fucking Immobilize Shield from Air. I came back to EQ in 2007 and a shaman in the guild since PoP was still trying to get one.

Anyhow, I'd say Preserved Chokidai Vocal Cords and Heart of Fungus might be the two worst camps in the game.

Paleman
01-16-2015, 08:07 PM
bane weapons for SSRA bring back a barfey taste in my mouth, dunno about you guys.

Calibretto
01-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Oh! The shrink clicky from the deep took me for-fucking-ever too. Probably close to 40 hours if I added up all the sessions. Also the AC aug from Gyrospire Beza? Warleader's Pearl. Took me forever.

dhoushi
01-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Sensei robe in EQOA. I hunted the temple for weeks, occasionally even spotting the sensei, but never once did he drop the robe.

Feathers
01-17-2015, 02:18 AM
Tattered Tomb Shroud (http://wiki.project1999.com/Tattered_Tomb_Shroud) or Robe of the Foci (http://wiki.project1999.com/Robe_of_the_Foci) both from Dalnir. I can't remember which one I never got. I'm thinking the necro one.

criddopher
01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
My gf and I took shifts camping grimrot here after they made him more rare. Went 36 hours non stop, didn't see him once.

radda
01-17-2015, 11:33 AM
i still never got voice graft from chardok and a buddy of mine camped that call of battle clicky in Ro expansion

Pheer
01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Went full neckbeard nolife mode at kunark release, spent multiple 50ish hour sessions in the crypt in Seb with guild only groups. Lost the roll on 12 cloaks straight before guildmates took pity on me and just gave me the next one that dropped.

zanderklocke
01-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Went full neckbeard nolife mode at kunark release, spent multiple 50ish hour sessions in the crypt in Seb with guild only groups.

You didn't sleep or have to work?

Daldaen
01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
PoP - Overlord Banord Paffa... Dropped a Necro only earring with 25% mana pres on DoTs.

I did that script with a guildmate atleast 25 times on Al'Kabor, Never dropped the damn earring.

VT Key, the Fungus Grove one took me literally 12-hours straight. That one is usually really easy but for me it was terrible.

Sajuuk
01-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Like some others here, I dont really qualify since i did get my item but it was basically the only time i spent in one zone for one goal... i started in LoY and was a DE SK. I wanted a mask that turns you into a wood elf (totally went with my roleplaying back then) and I had to kill millions of undead frogs to get (anyone know what quest im talking about?). It took weeks to get my faction up with the living frogs, my RL friends would ask me at school how many frogs do i need to kill today or they would log on and /tell me lol youre still there fuck that mask. But I got it and it was my highest neckbeard achievement, used it all the time... imagine seeing a woodelf with a skelly pet and casting deathly spells at mobs!?!?!?!?

Maybe ill do it again on this server. Long live P1999!!!!!

sox7d
01-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Stormfeather on Mith Marr. Spent 34 hours straight there, it would not spawn for some reason... I take 45seconds to use the restroom and come back to a barbarian warrior killing the bastard. But I did get a visit from Sobe who was the Best of the Best Druid on the server for a few years and we got to chat for a few hours, which I still remember to this day.

Leveling up a ranger fear kiting the cougars, I must have killed him 10+ times and never looted the map piece, but got excited over the claws.

...to be 10 again.

Evia
01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Like some others here, I dont really qualify since i did get my item but it was basically the only time i spent in one zone for one goal... i started in LoY and was a DE SK. I wanted a mask that turns you into a wood elf (totally went with my roleplaying back then) and I had to kill millions of undead frogs to get (anyone know what quest im talking about?). It took weeks to get my faction up with the living frogs, my RL friends would ask me at school how many frogs do i need to kill today or they would log on and /tell me lol youre still there fuck that mask. But I got it and it was my highest neckbeard achievement, used it all the time... imagine seeing a woodelf with a skelly pet and casting deathly spells at mobs!?!?!?!?

Maybe ill do it again on this server. Long live P1999!!!!!

Crown of Deceit?
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2275

pasi
01-17-2015, 02:36 PM
PoP - Overlord Banord Paffa... Dropped a Necro only earring with 25% mana pres on DoTs.

I did that script with a guildmate atleast 25 times on Al'Kabor, Never dropped the damn earring.

VT Key, the Fungus Grove one took me literally 12-hours straight. That one is usually really easy but for me it was terrible.

Our necros always wanted me to call Paffa for AE4. Was like wtf, just buy a ceramic gavel or PoN Gator AE4 item for like 2k. Now the EA/BA stuff, that was a pain to get. Our necros made a killing farming up blood for EA/BA shackles in PoTorment.

picklefixer
01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Xalgoz fear staff....around 2 years ago i did 21 days. 6-7 hours per day during the week and 10-12 hours per day on the weekends. No staff

There was a couple of odd days when i logged in and someone was camping him, so i logged out.

I logged out on the 21st day with no staff and took a 6 month break.

<Insert SweetAss Sig Here>
Mrtwig

Gurbuuk
01-17-2015, 05:22 PM
never get the AC in OOT for a 24 hours camp (in 3 attemps), in P1999

baalzy
01-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Roughly 6 weeks of 4-6 hour days for Staff of the Dreaded Gaze.

Still don't have it.

Calibretto
01-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Ohhhh the Burnnoose! Yeah Kellian. I spent many many hours there until i finally got him to drop it. He dropped it the only time I ever saw him spawn too.

Sajuuk
01-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Crown of Deceit?
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2275

That's it! I'M so cold lol I remember that so much now... looks like I wont be getting that mask on this server.

Pheer
01-18-2015, 11:08 AM
You didn't sleep or have to work?

I was unemployed at the time. I'd go until I didnt feel like I could anymore then crash and sleep for like 14 hours, wake up and do it again once a tank spot opened back up.

khanable
01-18-2015, 11:27 AM
In a single session? Probably 20 hours doing rotting skeleton

Over the course of many days? 50ish hours on rotting skeleton

Fuck that skeleton

Bboboo
01-18-2015, 12:17 PM
14 days camping Iksar Berserker Club back in classic. Twice I missed the drop right after I gave up the camp.

Recovered my old account maybe 3 years back and went to Kurns and he was up with the club. Killed that Fucker.

Randomly ran into him in P99 when leveling up and he had the club. Killed that fucker.

farshank
01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Did two camping sessions of 96 hours straight, two weeks in a row with never seeing Undead Lord Grimrot on this server...oh joy.