PDA

View Full Version : Offhand damage calculation

mangobob
01-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Does offhand weapon damage get boosted as you level up? Also does str affect its damage?

I noticed the mosscovered twig still sells for quite a bit but I'm clueless why if it won't hit for more than 6 a hit.

Spyder73
01-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Please correct me if i am wrong here - but my understanding of dual wielding is that the delay of the off hand doesnt really matter. Thats why you see so many monks with Epic + SoS (because SoS is the highest damage 1H we have available).

So the idea is if you get a really fast 1h weapon, you have a much higher chance to "proc" dual wield, and so you will be hitting more often with that high damage off hand weapon.

The weapon you are talking about has an incredible fast hit rate, so by using it you are are going to get a lot more off hand hits.

mangobob
01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Please correct me if i am wrong here - but my understanding of dual wielding is that the delay of the off hand doesnt really matter. Thats why you see so many monks with Epic + SoS (because SoS is the highest damage 1H we have available).

So the idea is if you get a really fast 1h weapon, you have a much higher chance to "proc" dual wield, and so you will be hitting more often with that high damage off hand weapon.

The weapon you are talking about has an incredible fast hit rate, so by using it you are are going to get a lot more off hand hits.

So when stats are maxed... Does the offhand only hit for 10 with the twig?

Spyder73
01-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I am honeslty not the best person to answer this. The twig would definately be main hand though. I have read you can get the delay down to like 5 with haste. I imagine that it would be very useful if you were trying to "push" a caster mob, or some other scenario where you need lots of off hand hits - the Twig probably rules supreme there.

wwoneo
01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
The pre-nerfed version of the twig is expensive as it can be used in the main hand. The off-hand only version is worthless.

Dual weild attacks are not generated by main hand attacks. They are generated through the Dual weild skill level. That is why it is best to use the most efficient "dmg/delay" ratio in your main hand and the highest damage in your off-hand.

Ciroco
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Lots of misinformation so far in this thread; Melee forum is probably the best place to get these questions answered.

Your offhand swings are completely independent of main hand swings. The offhand also has no damage bonus applied to each hit. Because of that, the only thing that matters for your offhand weapon is ratio. Monks use SoS because the ratio is so good. If delay didn't matter, every Rogue would have a Green Jade Axe.

The twig in its current form is useful only for mob push, really.

Since your main hand does have a damage bonus applied to each hit, you generally want your faster weapon in that hand so the damage bonus is applied more often. Exceptions are at low levels when damage bonus is negligible and when your slow weapon has a significantly better ratio than your faster one; in those cases, ratio trumps delay.

ripwind
01-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Pre-nerf twig no longer exists. They were retroactively changed to offhand only. Same with fungi staves, despite what people in EC seem to try and say.

Ravager
01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Lots of misinformation so far in this thread; Melee forum is probably the best place to get these questions answered.

Your offhand swings are completely independent of main hand swings. The offhand also has no damage bonus applied to each hit. Because of that, the only thing that matters for your offhand weapon is ratio. Monks use SoS because the ratio is so good. If delay didn't matter, every Rogue would have a Green Jade Axe.

The twig in its current form is useful only for mob push, really.

Since your main hand does have a damage bonus applied to each hit, you generally want your faster weapon in that hand so the damage bonus is applied more often. Exceptions are at low levels when damage bonus is negligible and when your slow weapon has a significantly better ratio than your faster one; in those cases, ratio trumps delay.

Since it's just ratio in the off hand that you need to worry about, rogues should ditch the axe and get CSS. Same ratio, but you get more push and you don't lose hp. Axe is really only good for Trak and with the resist caps, unnecessary.

Celatus
01-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Ratio is king in off hand so yes delay matters. Monks use SoS in off hand because it has the best ratio. With crip blows I can stun lock things with twig. Its also nice for push to stop spell casters and maxing out skill caps dw, da, 1hb in a couple min.

Jimjam
01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
On the subject of off hand attacks, be aware that a weapon can proc in your off hand even if it fails to swing for that round of attacks.

Celatus
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
On the subject of off hand attacks, be aware that a weapon can proc in your off hand even if it fails to swing for that round of attacks.

Pretty sure it needs to swing just does not need to hit.

Jimjam
01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure it needs to swing just does not need to hit.

You might be pretty sure, but I'm certain.

edit: now I have a smidgen of doubt. Am 99.99% certain I've seen offhand proc messages with no swing messages. Perhaps text is just getting lost between server and client?

kaev
01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
You might be pretty sure, but I'm certain.

You coded this emu's combat engine? Sorry, we didn't realize.

baalzy
01-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Pre-nerf twig no longer exists. They were retroactively changed to offhand only. Same with fungi staves, despite what people in EC seem to try and say.

Pre-nerf twig no longer exists: True.

Pre-nerf fungus staves no longer exist: False.

The Fungus Covered Great Staff is clickable from inventory by anyone. It no longer drops and was not retroactively changed to be unclickable. A very small number of these actually exist on the server and I believe a portion of them are sitting on banned accounts due to RMT.

The Fungi Covered Great Staff is only usable when equiped (Druid/Shaman) and still currently drops.

To the topic at hand:

Dual Wield calculations are made everytime the delay on the off-hand weapon is up. If it succeeds, you swing. Otherwise you don't swing again. There is no tie to what the Main hand is doing.

Weapons in the off hand receive no damage bonus, therefore the only thing that matters damage / agro generation wise is their ratio (dmg / delay)

This differs from the main-hand where two weapons with the same ratio are not necessairly the same. A 10/20 is a much better main-hand weapon than a 20/40 weapon because the damage bonus is a flat-amount of damage added per landed hit.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
01-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Completely true.

That's why it's called a weapon "going off" hence "offhand". If it didn't proc, it would be called "onhand".

I swear, you gotta wonder if some of these nerds even play Evercrest.

fadetree
01-13-2015, 06:10 PM
... not sure if srs