PDA

View Full Version : Roots landing from L25 mobs?

Xerical
01-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I know there were a lot of changes to resists lately, then some supposed fixes. I know I didn't get roots landing on my L60 bard like this earlier in P1999... but I don't recall how it was in classic. Trying to swarm kite in LOIO I am having roots landing on me every 10-15 seconds until they are OOM. Maybe 1 in every 10 roots, if not more, are hitting me. Even if I wear MR it feels like the same ratio.

rictus204
01-11-2015, 03:54 PM
commence the bard swarming thread...

Rayzor84
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
U won't get rooted assisting in groups.

Just sayin

Ciroco
01-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Low level mobs have been landing spells too easily for as long as I've been playing. It's hard to prove it considering we don't have access to classic resist calculations.

zanderklocke
commence the bard AOE kiting thread...

rictus204
U won't get rooted assisting in groups.

Just sayin

:cool:

sox7d
01-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Maybe 1 in every 10 roots, if not more, are hitting me. Even if I wear MR it feels like the same ratio.

Welcome to close adaptations of the D20 system.

Lvl 1:
"A kobold tries to attack you and misses"
"You try to attack a kobold and miss"

Swish
01-11-2015, 05:37 PM
commence another bard swarming thread...

ftfy :rolleyes:

shun
01-12-2015, 08:12 AM
I noticed this as well while in upper guk the other day. Tons of roots and other spells landing on my 60 bard to mobs that are very green. I wasn't wearing full resist gear or anything, but the amount landing still seemed out of the ordinary.

Nirgon
01-12-2015, 11:31 AM
this is now the "post your magic resist" thread

zanderklocke
01-12-2015, 11:47 AM
I've never seen a "You have resisted 'root spell'' message before. However, it seems very reasonable that root still has a certain percentage chance to land on players. Even if it's something as low as 5% chance or less, people are still going to notice getting rooted.

I really can't comment on what was classic, but being completely immune to spells based on level seems a bit overpowered. I'll leave this up to Nirgon.

Man0warr
01-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Root's are also landing on NPC's/raid bosses much easier since patch so it's not only players.

This week we managed to root both Ixiblat and Protector in Seb with root nets for a few seconds, never seen that before.

Wookiewoowoo
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
ghoul root has been landing on me all weekend. First time I seen this...

Mentathiel
01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
To be fair, I watched two Festering Hags (lvl 28-30) fail to land instill on me at level 20 when running for the exit this past weekend. It was only the third one which got me (think we caught the tail end of someone's train; I had four hags on me when I died) and that was before I started piling on the MR.

August
01-12-2015, 02:36 PM
If this is a true D20 system there is always a chance to critically hit AKA root you, when they roll a 20.

Likewise, a level 1 has a 5% chance to resist a level 60 root if they roll a 1.

Welcome to RNG.

Man0warr
01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
This isn't about being a true D20 system - it's about being classic to Everquest in 1999-2001.

Level 20 mobs landing root on 60s never happened.

kaev
01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
This isn't about being a true D20 system - it's about being classic to Everquest in 1999-2001.

Oh it did too, it was just rare as hell so there's no way it was a fixed chance as high as 5%, might not even have been as high as 1%. Always pissed me off when some mob 20+ levels green would land something annoying like a ghoulroot to break SoW, especially since the player versus mob 6-level cutoff prevented any tit-for-tat. I always used to wish it was possible to do lowbie caster zerg kills for giggles.

fadetree
01-12-2015, 04:34 PM
In a computer game I did I expanded it out to a d1000 instead of a d20. An 'always hit' was 5 or below, and 'always crit' was a 1. Since any crit had a 1% chance to instakill, very occasionally somebody would be blown out of their shoes by the equivalent to a grass snake. Much wailing ensued.

August
01-12-2015, 05:58 PM

I'm fairly certain it did. There is a trace of the style of D20 system all over this box. Tradeskilling certainly has absolute failure rates - in fact it's the only thing that keeps tradeskills like jewelcrafting alive. (All JC combines are 'trivial' to a 250 outside of platinum sapphire, ruby, jacinth, diamond, black sapphire, and blue diamond). That 5% failure rate is where margins are born.

Secrets
01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Solution: Don't pull caster mobs if you don't want to get rooted.

Nirgon
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
naw lvl 60 with any kind of magic resist even a shielding buff shouldn't have this happen

Brocode
01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
/bugforum ;)

Man0warr
01-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Oh it did too, it was just rare as hell so there's no way it was a fixed chance as high as 5%, might not even have been as high as 1%. Always pissed me off when some mob 20+ levels green would land something annoying like a ghoulroot to break SoW, especially since the player versus mob 6-level cutoff prevented any tit-for-tat. I always used to wish it was possible to do lowbie caster zerg kills for giggles.

It was super rare, rare enough that it wasn't as noticeable as it is right now on this server.

I do remember green Ghouls rooting me more frequently than spell root on live though.

radditsu
01-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Happens pretty hardcore across the emu scene. max resists and still get rooted way too much.

Xerical
01-13-2015, 12:48 PM
naw lvl 60 with any kind of magic resist even a shielding buff shouldn't have this happen

If enough people agree to this then I am sure they will try to fix it. It wasn't this bad until last patch. I feel as if resists all around go screwed up a lot last patch. my wizards lures are now getting resisted or partial damage which never happened. And now I am getting rooted left and right by mobs sub-30 levels below me.

fadetree
01-13-2015, 04:08 PM
They don't 'fix' things when people agree its needed. They 'fix' things when it is demonstrated that it wasn't that way at this time in the timeline.

Xerical
01-13-2015, 04:37 PM
They don't 'fix' things when people agree its needed. They 'fix' things when it is demonstrated that it wasn't that way at this time in the timeline.

If it wasn't a problem in classic then there won't be a thread or post to refer to. They BROKE resists with the last patch, they should be able to do the reverse and prove that resists were this broken on classic timeline or revert back to what was before the patch.

Erati
01-13-2015, 04:39 PM
If enough people agree to this then I am sure they will try to fix it. It wasn't this bad until last patch. I feel as if resists all around go screwed up a lot last patch. my wizards lures are now getting resisted or partial damage which never happened. And now I am getting rooted left and right by mobs sub-30 levels below me.

theres a post about Lure's Nirgon started in the bug forum

someone should go bump dat and keep looking for evidence to prove that Lure's had no partial resists only Full or nothing

and the nothing was usually because the mob couldnt be hit with spells or that element PERIOD

fadetree
01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
If it wasn't a problem in classic then there won't be a thread or post to refer to. They BROKE resists with the last patch, they should be able to do the reverse and prove that resists were this broken on classic timeline or revert back to what was before the patch.

Well, except the burden of proof is on us, not them. Pitching a fit to get them to re-examine their patch -- sure, I'm with ya. But if they meant to do it, then we'd have to prove it should be otherwise.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, I thought you were just saying that you didn't like it, as opposed to it actually being not accurate for the timeline.

Man0warr
01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
That's stupid - the burden of proof should be on making the change in the first place.

If the Devs make a change with no evidence, how is it possible to prove they shouldn't have made it?

Haynar is just tweaking with the resists because let's be honest, no one has a fucking clue what the actual classic values are because they were all server side.

Clark
01-14-2015, 12:02 AM
I noticed this as well while in upper guk the other day. Tons of roots and other spells landing on my 60 bard to mobs that are very green. I wasn't wearing full resist gear or anything, but the amount landing still seemed out of the ordinary.

weird