PDA

View Full Version : fletching question

Warmonger
01-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Does your wisdom give you a better chance to level up fletching or is it dexterity?

Mentathiel
01-11-2015, 07:55 AM
The guides I read back when I played on live all said that tradeskills use the highest value out of the relevant stats and wis/int were always relevant to all tradeskills. Thus, a character with high strength (fighter, rogue, etc.) should buff their strength when blacksmithing, but a cleric should buff their wisdom for the same task.

I have a 2005 guide (it talks about the Feir'Dal Fletching Kit just being added) which outright states that skill-ups in fletching are governed by the highest of int, wis and dex. Maybe this was not true of 1999, but it makes sense that dex always governed fletching.

TL;DR - the highest of int/wis/dex probably decides if you gain skill, so wis only helps if it's higher than your dex.

Cecily
01-11-2015, 08:28 AM
^ that's accurate. WIS / INT / DEX. Stack whichever is easiest for you for fletching. Poison making is the other DEX based tradeskill.

Bboboo
01-11-2015, 12:17 PM
It doesn't take a genious to suck your load out of a girls ass.

YendorLootmonkey
01-11-2015, 04:16 PM

I think you may have misread one of the words in the thread topic, sir.

indiscriminate_hater
01-11-2015, 05:11 PM

lock thread, sticky

sox7d
01-11-2015, 05:26 PM

captnamazing
01-11-2015, 05:28 PM
who said anything about a GIRL

Swish
01-11-2015, 05:36 PM
who said anything about a GIRL

http://media.giphy.com/media/zLl6GrTAVpRja/giphy.gif

maskedmelon
01-12-2015, 11:05 AM
So P1999 does use Dex/Str for TS if higher than int/wis? I do not recall when the change was made, but I know that was the result of a patch on live. I want to say Luclin era.

Whirled
01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Tradeskills

http://wiki.project1999.com/Fletching#Raising_Fletching_Skill

~hth~

Mentathiel
01-12-2015, 11:40 AM
I can't give you any definitive evidence, but I do know that my rogue with very low int/wis and higher strength/dex seemed to gain skill in fletching (sometimes I like to pull) much faster than she gained pottery (poison vials are expensive) and no faster than my ranger who has a better wisdom.

I didn't have logging turned on, so I can't parse it, but that's how it felt. Might just be confirmation bias...

Edit:
According to the relevant file in the EQ Emu source-code (here (https://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/source/browse/trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/tradeskills.cpp)), dex will affect fletching unless the P1999 development team changed it. It was dex-based in 2004 (Gates of Discord era - [SRC (http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g256)]) and that's the earliest I can find any answers either way.

Anyone want to make an alt, max out dex and compare fletching to pottery? For science!

Cecily
01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
No need to science. Just hear the gospel of Cecily and be enlightened. Unless you're working on a dex / str based tradeskill.
Then enlightenment won't help.

Mentathiel
01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Strength-based skills are easy; every blacksmith does their best work after half a stack of ale...

Cecily
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
But yes, pottery is very tough for rogues. Brewing was pretty bad too. Fletching and poison were super easy with 220ish unbuffed dex. Get the Ixi shoulders, Hate BP, Tola cap and those should give you a massive boost for dex stat.

kaev
01-12-2015, 03:41 PM
So P1999 does use Dex/Str for TS if higher than int/wis? I do not recall when the change was made, but I know that was the result of a patch on live. I want to say Luclin era.

It was not a patch or a change on live (well, nobody knows if it was part of the first tradeskill changeset when they revamped jewelry ~ june of '99). It was during PoP era (iirc) that a dev finally confirmed what players had already tested and observed in-game: STR will substitute for blacksmithing skill-ups if higher than int/wis, and that DEX works the same way for fletching.

I don't know if DEX works for fletching skill-ups on p99 currently, but about 3 years ago I'm pretty sure it did not. That's when I stopped bothering to raise fletching on my Ranger because skill-ups sucked just as bad with DEX at 195 as they did with DEX at 90.

Warmonger
01-12-2015, 05:16 PM
So dex may raise skill ups. Is there a patch note or dev guidance on this?

Cecily
01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Why don't you just believe me :(

It does.

Warmonger
01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Ok I believe you just was wanting to see if it was written some where. Thanks again off to buy dex gear.

Cecily
01-12-2015, 07:38 PM
I really recommend against that, esp as a rogue. The items I listed above are about 40 points worth of dex for free, and rogue gear tends to have a bunch of it anyways. Better off waiting for better gear to get serious in those trade skills.

Dex- Poison / Fletching
Str - Blacksmithing
Wis/Int - everything else.