PDA

View Full Version : how does duel wield work?

iruinedyourday
01-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Hi sorry this is my first melee.. i just got duel wield on my rogue and equiped a ssoy - and now when i fight, i slash like once, every 5 minuets with it.. its like sometimes my dude doesnt even try once during a fight.. is that normal?

Thanks!

Macha
01-05-2015, 08:13 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Dual_Wield

Basically the higher level your dual wield, the more likely your offhand will swing when the delay is met.
A person with 10 dual wield may swing their offhand 5% of the time whereas a person with 200 dual wield will swing it 80% of the time. (note these numbers are arbitrary as I don't know what the actual values are).

Don't worry about it too much... since you are a Rogue, you will cap your dual wield every level. You will see it swing more and more as you level up.
Also, don't believe anyone who says Dex increases chance to dual wield, it does not.
Edit - STR does increase the speed in which you lvl up dual wield so there's that... but again you'll most likely max it at each level (unless you are being plvled of course) so don't worry too much about it... you'll want Str anyways since you're trying to do the most deeps!

Synthlol
01-05-2015, 08:37 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Dual_Wield

Basically the higher level your dual wield, the more likely your offhand will swing when the delay is met.
A person with 10 dual wield may swing their offhand 5% of the time whereas a person with 200 dual wield will swing it 80% of the time. (note these numbers are arbitrary as I don't know what the actual values are).

Don't worry about it too much... since you are a Rogue, you will cap your dual wield every level. You will see it swing more and more as you level up.
Also, don't believe anyone who says Dex increases chance to dual wield, it does not.
Edit - Dex does increase the speed in which you lvl up dual wield so there's that... but again you'll most likely max it at each level (unless you are being plvled of course) so don't worry too much about dex stat.

Your post is nicely informative, but the bolded portion is incorrect. While Dexterity does increase the rate at which weapon skills increase, Dual Wield is an offensive combat skill, and thus it's skill-up rate is governed by Strength.

Macha
01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the correction Synthlol, I hope you don't mind, I will edit and change it to STR as to not confuse others!

iruinedyourday
01-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks dudes.. Im so dumb, i thought my dps would double at lvl 13 hehe

Cecily
01-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Your post is nicely informative, but the bolded portion is incorrect. While Dexterity does increase the rate at which weapon skills increase, Dual Wield is an offensive combat skill, and thus it's skill-up rate is governed by Strength.

Yeeaahhh, I think it's dex still. Not really a point worth arguing as DW trains lightning fast regardless and dex is junk stat for rogues who aren't fletching or poison making. Stack STR till you break 183, then 115 sta, then hp and work on a MR set.

Cecily
01-05-2015, 11:54 PM

Offhand will be about 25% of your damage at 60. Doesn't start getting great until 51+, but we don't have any alternative weapon choices. If you get an epic and seb dirk, you'll have an end game raiding setup that'll hold up well in Velious.

Synthlol
01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeeaahhh, I think it's dex still. Not really a point worth arguing as DW trains lightning fast regardless and dex is junk stat for rogues who aren't fletching or poison making. Stack STR till you break 183, then 115 sta, then hp and work on a MR set.

Dual Wield being considered a Weapon skill would be news to me, but I suppose it is a possibility. The part about it not mattering is absolutely correct :)

Again, though, the bolded portion is incorrect. The 115 STA softcap does not exist on p1999.

Cecily
01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
It exists on magelo and the magelo hp numbers are accurate.

Synthlol
01-07-2015, 12:25 AM
If Magelo is halving STA returns above 115, then it is inaccurate.

Test it in game if you are skeptical.

Cecily
01-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Yep. No matter how much I drop from 130 STA, I'm getting a 4 per STA return. That's very annoying to admit to.

Jimjam
01-07-2015, 05:53 AM

It's worth noting that procs can happen even when dual wield fails to produce a swing. Even though off hand proc rate is half that of main hand I find it is better to have a useful proc in the off hand than a decent ratio (until the skill gets to a level good enough to produce a decent number of swings).