PDA

View Full Version : Why I love EQ

Blitzers
01-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Oh man last night was awesome stayed up till midnight with my wife camping dervs in WC. Gulg audustus lakos Alivya blitzess pwned Dervs all night was great classic noobie group. Too much fun Thank you p99!

username17
01-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Are you trying to boost your post count or something? Every single post under New Posts at the to pis yours.

/tinfoil hat off
Anyway, yeah P99 Rocks.

Blitzers
01-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Are you trying to boost your post count or something? Every single post under New Posts at the to pis yours.

/tinfoil hat off
Anyway, yeah P99 Rocks.

Eh, I feel like a kid who just opened his favorite new toy on Christmas Day. Knowing luclin will never be on this server is like knowing your fiance will never need a boob job, cause they're just so perfect

myriverse
01-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Mixed up Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson. That's just unforgivable to me.

/ignore

jk :)

Blitzers
01-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Here's how I look at EQ this time around.

When I played EQ original I felt it was a world with multiple ways to play from choosing what class/race to play to soloing, to grouping, to guild raids and even PVP if you liked. Hell if you wanted to be a crafter you could do that. If you wanted to buy low sell high merchantize you could even do that. The game for me was almost limitless, and it didn't matter how long it was gonna take all that mattered was it was fun. But, all of a sudden the winds changed. It turned into a grind fest with all the new added content and easy mode installations. I started to think I need to get this or I need to get to that level and I lost myself in selfish grind mode and it was destructive and I think many others have had that same problem. Your nothing til your max level, your nothing til your raid gear equipped, your nothing unless you maxed all your trade skills. The worst was your nothing if you didn't box. I couldn't and didn't want to hang with that crowd it tore at my core. So I quit.

This time around I'm gonna look at EQ in a different light, like monopoly. I'm gonna level some on my necro and when I'm sick of that maybe a sham my then maybe a ranger. Kinda like choosing battleship, race car, or thimble in monopoly. I Love the noobie zones especially EC. I wanna be the guy who drops 200 plat on a noobie and hope that it may keep him around to enjoy the game some when he thinks it's getting too hard and wants to quit. Anyways I just love this game so much and keeping it classic is great and I wanna fill all my character slots up playing it

Blitzers
01-04-2015, 11:05 AM
I might even roll a character that only wears armor that I either loot/quest myself or purchase from an NPC vendor.

Messianic
01-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Sounds awesome. I feel the same - even though I take a long hiatus from p99 every now and then, I come back and still remember how cool this thing really is.

iruinedyourday
01-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Oh man last night was awesome stayed up till midnight with my wife camping dervs in WC. Gulg audustus lakos Alivya blitzess pwned Dervs all night was great classic noobie group. Too much fun Thank you p99!

http://i.imgur.com/NW719AA.jpg

scythic
01-04-2015, 10:09 PM
...and then you see someone auctioning your class' epic for less than a Heiro cloak and you think to yourself: "is this the EQ I remember or not?"

webrunner5
01-05-2015, 06:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NW719AA.jpg

Christ, that Gif makes me sea sick, and I was a Sailor for 4 years in the Navy and never once got sea sick. :D

Swish
01-05-2015, 11:41 AM
...and then you see someone auctioning your class' epic for less than a Heiro cloak and you think to yourself: "is this the EQ I remember or not?"

This isn't EverQuest...

http://s11.postimg.org/ez2qi0xz7/image.png

What P99 really needs is more people figuring out that you can camp most things solo as a 60 shaman - and leveling up only to make the most of the economy side of the game, sitting on heiro for 12 hours a day ;)

stormlord
01-05-2015, 04:23 PM
This isn't EverQuest...

What P99 really needs is more people figuring out that you can camp most things solo as a 60 shaman - and leveling up only to make the most of the economy side of the game, sitting on heiro for 12 hours a day ;)
I feel you OP. When I started p1999 in .... late 2009 or early 2010 (can't recall which) ... I had a goal in mind: I wouldn't level up past 20-25. I stuck to that goal. This is how I experienced hte original everquest in 1999: Back then I never levelled past 13. Why'd I do it? Because I enjoyed it. Did I want to level up past 20-25? Sort of, sure. Yet I thought about all those new players who might not know things and I felt drawn to stay low and group with them on new alts. It's not the same when you're level 50 and burying noobs in 100's of platinum. It's much sweeter to group with them on an equal level and help them with information. To buffer this playstyle I also never shared loots between alts. I earned every plat. Plus I'm the kind of player who don't likes to be buried in loots. I like the challenge of having to get my own stuff when I'm new. I understand old players want to help new players, but there're good ways and bad ways sometimes.

And so I have to say to Swish... my expeirence in p1999 up until I quit was beautiful and exactly as I remember it. I never let the grind lure me into its abyss. I embraced the magic of the lower levels. P1999 might not be exactly as EQ was, but it's closer than anything else.

I don't think Luclin ruined EQ, though. I don't even think POP books ruined it. It just got old and stale. I think as players left the game for greener pastures the game lost funding and the expansions offered less and less. They offered more grind and less content. Even though they gave us mercs and mostly removed corpse runs and removed other things, supposedly to make it accessible, the game was an even worse grind than before because the world had less meat on it. And yet not even WoW has completely removed grind. There're many guides on the internet how to grind money/ingredients/etc in WoW. Yet unlike EQ, WoW expansions have meat on them.

Also if you took a hard look at EQ you'd see large amounts of inconsistent things. EQ never had the funding to smoothen these. I recall reading a big sweeping revamp WoW did to its content to smoothen it. In Everquest, you'd see an old zone like Qeynos where some quests still use the old keyword system. Yet even the newer quests in Qeynos which used the Task Window still offered terrible rewards, despite being much better than the older quests. You'd go to Crescent Reach and suddenly the rewards are great. And what about the graphics? The graphics in Qeynos are pre-21st century. The graphics in Crescent Reach are much newer, but still old. The overall feeling a player gets from all this is the game is a patchwork of glue, tape, toothpicks and bubblegum.

EQ just got less and less polished and offered less and less meat in its expansions.

August
01-05-2015, 04:29 PM
This isn't EverQuest...

I am unabashed in my love of tunnelquest. When I was a wee lad I looted gnome guards from a necro that was killing them in steamfont to sell off the FS weps / shields. I saved up enough for a Staff of the OBbservers (http://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_the_Observers).

I was taken to the EC bazaar and found someone selling it. I bought it, and enamored by the bazaar, I sat around looking at all the awesome loot I didn't know existed. I then saw someone WTB A Staff of the Observerse for 200pp more than I had paid!

When I sold the staff I just couldn't believe I had made 200pp in less than an hour - i was rich!

When I quit EQ for the first time I was level 34 as my max character, and had over 4 million plat in my bank. It was my first love in a game, and it actually taught me a metric shitton about the real world economy. I used what I learned there throughout my life and view that experience as invaluable.

Today I just use high-margin markets to make money on p99 and in a rather casual manner - log on for 30 minutes - 1 hr to do some selling. It is therapeutic to sit under T1 and just bask in the flow of auctions, looking for items I need or finding someone who WTB what I'm offering. I infinitely prefer it to Bejeweled or some shit I don't care about, which is all I could do in an hour anyways.

Long Live Tunnelquest.

Nirgon
01-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I never let the grind lure me into its abyss.

Well hello there!

http://discoverydivers.com/images/slider_img3_big.jpg

Greetings from the Abyss, we are expecting you!

skipdog
01-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Ignore the cynics and enjoy the ride!!!

Biaxil
01-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Play on the red server.