PDA

View Full Version : can warriors solo at all?

Guy LeDouche
01-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Or is my fate doomed to group?

Just started on P99, never played a warrior past level 10 probably, so decided to start there. after reading some, maybe wasn't the best decision. mostly because i play at odd hours, usually pop afk decently often and get distracted easily, so my groupability is lacking for sure, and don't want to let down other people if i have to pop afk randomly.

So, I've made it to level 8 so far, soloing (obviously), but this is not representative of the rest of the game I understand. So, should I just give up at this point and move on to a class like druid or necro (or shaman maybe?) to definitely be able to solo and play at my own pace, or do you tanks (namely warriors) think that I should continue on and try my best?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I would go post in the druid/shaman or necro forums, but I already know they'd tell me to make that class instead of the warrior. XD

Taminy
01-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Or is my fate doomed to group?

Just started on P99, never played a warrior past level 10 probably, so decided to start there. after reading some, maybe wasn't the best decision. mostly because i play at odd hours, usually pop afk decently often and get distracted easily, so my groupability is lacking for sure, and don't want to let down other people if i have to pop afk randomly.

So, I've made it to level 8 so far, soloing (obviously), but this is not representative of the rest of the game I understand. So, should I just give up at this point and move on to a class like druid or necro (or shaman maybe?) to definitely be able to solo and play at my own pace, or do you tanks (namely warriors) think that I should continue on and try my best?

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I would go post in the druid/shaman or necro forums, but I already know they'd tell me to make that class instead of the warrior. XD

Short answer: No
Long answer: Yes, but it will be god awful slow, especially without extreme twinkage. Even then it's going to faster to group, at least once you get real up in levels. It also helps to know some off the beaten path spots to hunt (guard killing and the like).

So unless you can really twink out a warrior and you're really dead set on playing said warrior and you can only solo (play at work or really off hours or something) then just don't it. I'd also advise playing a race that can hide if you're going to be AFKing a lot.

Also there are plenty of other classes that can solo if you're dead set on that - shaman, magician, enchanter, bard, and to a lesser extent than the traditional soloists (but better than warrior because of the "oh shit" button) monk.

Jimjam
01-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Target self, press bind wound, press stand (or be hit by an enemy), target enemy, turn autoattack back on. In your teens Polished Granite Tomahawk is an okay off hander for soloing as it procs berserker strength (str buff with 40(?) damage rune component).

13 you can kill willowisps. Save their (greater) light stones till you are 15-16ish and hand em in in south ro for xp (one at a time so you can get the quest reward to sell for 10pp).

17 you can kill slavers and legos in crushbone pretty well (hand in keys, pads and belts for xp)

23 you might be able to kill gargoyles in OOT. The eyes sell well.

At 30+ you can kill some dark blues if you have an Axe of the Slayers (50pp in EC, procs Rampage; a str buff with a 90 damage rune component).

Level 40+ it gets difficult to kill anything but the weakest mobs for xp.

No time to post more. Good luck!

Veleria
01-02-2015, 06:38 AM
You can solo but it will be slower than almost any other class. if you can get some form of regen it helps but you will be killing mobs several levels below you at mid to high level and at 50+ you have to aim for low level mobs. Warriors are not good at farming named mobs but can do decent soloing for xp. Currently at 30 my warrior gets xp faster solo (no regen items) then in a group but there is some downtime and I need to pick my fights carefully. I am under 55% almost always and use a lot of bandages. Its fun but it all depends on you as a player. On live i soloed most of the way to 60 but I managed to get a fungi tunic around 45 which helped immensly.

Aaramis
01-02-2015, 08:10 AM
As others have mentioned, a Warrior's ability to solo is highly dependant on gear. The better the gear, the better the ability to solo. Through weapons and armour, you can regenerate, snare, slow, lifetap, etc. But even then, it's quite slow.

If you can find a Shaman, Druid, or even Ranger or SK to duo with, it's much faster and smoother.

Taminy
01-02-2015, 12:09 PM
As others have mentioned, a Warrior's ability to solo is highly dependant on gear. The better the gear, the better the ability to solo. Through weapons and armour, you can regenerate, snare, slow, lifetap, etc. But even then, it's quite slow.

If you can find a Shaman, Druid, or even Ranger or SK to duo with, it's much faster and smoother.

True. You don't always have to form a 6 person group. And while warrior solo is pretty crappy, warrior + shaman is quite an awesome duo. Second only to shaman + monk for tank and spank.

Raev
01-02-2015, 12:33 PM
mostly because i play at odd hours, usually pop afk decently often and get distracted easily, so my groupability is lacking for sure, and don't want to let down other people if i have to pop afk randomly.

Reroll. You can't really go afk on a warrior; if you do find a group no one will want their MT vanishing constantly. Unfortunately there are no really good solo melee classes (unless you have a fungi) so I think you would have a lot more fun on a solo-oriented caster.

Aaramis
01-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately there are no really good solo melee classes (unless you have a fungi) so I think you would have a lot more fun on a solo-oriented caster.

SK isn't too bad. Barring resists, fear kiting is an option at least. And come Velious, Rangers will be able to fear kite animals as well.

The hybrid xp penalty for the moment sucks arse, though.

Danth
01-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Not to mention the Warrior is probably the most raid-specialized class in the game and it's almost pointless to play one if you don't plan to use it as a raid tank. For the mode of gameplay the original poster describes, nearly any other class (including all of the alternatives he named) will give better service. Classes like Shadow Knights and Rangers can solo, no argument there. However, there's precious little reason to do so unless you really want to be a melee since they're still both more expensive to gear out and ultimately weaker soloists than caster classes. I have a Shadow Knight and like it, but it's a weakling in terms of solo capability compared to my wife's Shaman.

Danth

Freakish
01-02-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a very nicely geared 55 warrior. He can solo but not much past KC, SolB bats or random wandering critters in DL / BW. The downtime is horrendous. Bind Wound does not go above 100 until you hit 50+. A monk can solo 3x faster.

DrKvothe
01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Roll monk imo. Better soloer/duoer and FD lets you afk when you want to. Also, iksar regen makes FD/afk feel like CH =P

Daldaen
01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
My warrior started soloing at 46.

Using Fungi, Cloak of Flames, Wurmslayer/Dagas weapons, I am able to do Sol B kobolds relatively easily. I bought 8 or 9 Wooly Spider Silk Nets and use them for breaking rooms with 2-3. Instant root is a lifesaver if single pulls aren't available.

Soloed (more or less) 46-51. Probably a level of that was done grouping.

At 51, all the kobolds are green though so I'm having to turn towards bats which have more HP and stun so fights go longer. Which means on double rooms I have to use two charges of root net.

Also Bandages. Get lots and lots of bandages.

pharmakos
01-02-2015, 03:19 PM
my first character on P99 was a warrior. i soloed with him quite a bit, untwinked. he is level 59 now. i can still solo to an extent. warrior soloing is only worth it if you really love warriors and really can't group, though. it is extremely slow.

still, though, once you get to level 40-50+ you get a lot of nice tricks for soloing. Polished Obsidian Great Axe procs Invoke Fear, and there are snare-proc weapons like Silken Whip of Ensnaring. i can fear kite dark blues on my warrior still at 59. Blood Points are nice for healing yourself (lifetap proc). i don't have a Truncheon of Doom yet but i wish i did -- 50% slow proc (still the best slow proc in the game for a warrior today on EQLive, 20 expansions later or whatever). and once you get to level 56 or 57 you can Bind Wound yourself to 70% HP instead of just 50%.

but yeah its mostly a horrible idea and only worth it if you really like warriors or are really masochistic. :D

Guy LeDouche
01-02-2015, 05:08 PM
thanks for the responses everyone. i went with warrior because my old favorite class was a rogue, but i figured warrior could at LEAST solo better than that. i've made an alt druid as well to be able to solo better, but i haven't quite given up on the warrior just yet :)

pharmakos
01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
my alt necromancer was vital for my mental health while levelling my warrior. druid also a solid choice for solo alt.

and yeah warrior can solo better than rogue at least. barely. lol.

Buellen
01-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Reroll Hafling Warrior

SNEAK make a a soloing WAR so much easier.

pharmakos
01-03-2015, 01:25 AM
yeah i wish i had rolled halfling instead of barbarian.

Guy LeDouche
01-03-2015, 01:39 AM
Reroll Hafling Warrior

SNEAK make a a soloing WAR so much easier.

reroll halfling warrior? but, what if that was what i already made :D

not even for the hide/sneak, but just cuz i like halflings. out of curiosity, what function does the sneaking have on soloing for the warrior? thanks

pharmakos
01-03-2015, 02:15 AM
sneak pulling -- the ability to pull single mobs out of a group using a ranged weapon along with sneak.

Danth
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Not to mention having Hide is about the closest thing you can get on a Warrior to having a pause button for when you want to go away from the keyboard.

Danth

Vadd
01-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Yes, warriors can solo.
Yes, warriors can also be legit DPS.
Yes, its always good to have that semi afk warrior whacking off for when ur MT bites the dust.

Taminy
01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
yeah i wish i had rolled halfling instead of barbarian.

Slam for life. There is a 50-54 soloing spot that is great for large race warriors.

But part of great leveling/soloing spots is to not reveal their location.

gobletsmashing
01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
This was a long time ago, but a friend of mine used to solo ok w/ a fungi tunic and 2 blood points as a warrior