PDA

View Full Version : Question on longevity of the server

FilthyBeaver
01-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Hello everyone!

I just started here on blue p99 just a few days ago, made myself a iksar necromancer and I must say I'm so impressed with how beautiful this game has been brought back to life!
My question is, how long does this server really expect to be around for? I understand velious is "soon" and I hope it lasts for just as long if not longer than kunark has. (I know it's most likely boring for some of the veterans of this server) but my big fear is I'll put a ton of time here. Get max level on a few toons over the year(s) then poof, everything is gone see ya nice to know ya. I wouldn't be to concerned if it were some garbage mmo like wow or something where it takes a sitting or two to make max level it feels like. But when you pour time and dedication into this game and it gives it back it's not something I want to lose out on.
So I guess my ultimate question is, should I stick around for all this time? Again I know most of you all have poured more time into this than I will ever catch up to. But it is definitely a concern on my mind so I wanted to see what others thought.
Thanks for any feedback!

Bboboo
01-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Lets ask Terry Funk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vO05r9YOfo)

Thulack
01-01-2015, 03:28 PM
The server has been up for 5 years. The creators of the server made it for their own enjoyment so as long as they are interested and involved the server will be here.

Danth
01-01-2015, 03:32 PM
A few of us were here when P1999 opened. Will probably still be here when it's closed. Maybe it'll last another 5 years, maybe 10, who knows? Enjoy it for what it is--your time is never wasted if you had fun along the way.

Danth

Thugnuts
01-01-2015, 04:49 PM
i think maybe if u think that time is going to be done for the server soon, u probably shouldnt worry because the server has years left to go when velious and then luclin and plains of power.

Somekid123
01-01-2015, 05:28 PM
^ Wont see luclin/PoP or anything else past velious.

HeallunRumblebelly
01-01-2015, 09:23 PM
A few of us were here when P1999 opened. Will probably still be here when it's closed. Maybe it'll last another 5 years, maybe 10, who knows? Enjoy it for what it is--your time is never wasted if you had fun along the way.

Danth

Still waiting on that app Danth. Get it together.

Treefall
01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
^ Wont see luclin/PoP or anything else past velious.

I remember a video or post where they played around with the idea, however they said that this server would be separate (i.e. always living in Velious).

I think outside of this server existing in the Velious state, they were going to consider another server that added custom variations of PoP and other expanions done more "classic."

FilthyBeaver
01-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Good enough reasons for me everyone :) thanks for the vote of confidence, also im level 12 on my iksar necro and loving every second! if anyone gets bored on an alt or wants to chat hit me up, necro's name is Filthygoose

FilthyBeaver
01-01-2015, 10:25 PM
thanks for the vote of confidence everyone!
i can live with these answers and keep on rocking it out
Im level 12 on my Necromancer just a short while ago and its amazing!

Filthygoose is the name of my necro so if anyone gets bored and wants to come hang out please do, or if you wanna chat im open for that also.
Take care everyone, hope to see you in game

Kohedron
01-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I imagine if Rogean ever got bored of P99, he'd hand everything over to somebody else, as opposed to just saying "aight fuck this cya nerds".

Slightly on topic, but before I was on P99, I played Shards of Dalaya off and on. That place seems very close to its end, which is a sad thing to see.

webrunner5
01-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I imagine if Rogean ever got bored of P99, he'd hand everything over to somebody else, as opposed to just saying "aight fuck this cya nerds".

Well it does cost money to run this server. I have no clue what kind of RL money they make. But you are not going to just keep losing money and keep it going forever. And I doubt they would just give away their hard earned work. Which I don't think they can get payed for it either selling it or Sony would sue them.

Kaleadar
01-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Danth

Danth you sure you been here since day 1? Looks like day 3 to me haha j/k much love to the old heads...

Ya server is not going anyplace. Enjoy the game for the game and you will have a blast.

towbes
01-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Ask players of Star Wars Galaxies, Warhammer Online, Vanguard, Matrix Online, Shadowbane, Toontown Online, Asherons Call 2 how much time (and money) they put into subscriptions for their games. All of that data is now lost into the nether of cyberspace. Was their time and money still worth the experience? It's a question you have to answer for yourself.

I recently lost years worth of characters in an emulator for another game due to them wiping the slate clean and attempting to upgrade to the next expansion (side note the server is still down 12 months later). Do I regret my time playing there? Not at all, I met someone who is now one of my best friends. It actually helped me to realize that I'm not really playing for the end state, but more for the adventure of getting there. That doesn't keep me from amassing wealth to rival the greatest of dragon hordes though.

Sirken
01-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I just started here on blue p99 just a few days ago, made myself a iksar necromancer and I must say I'm so impressed with how beautiful this game has been brought back to life!
My question is, how long does this server really expect to be around for? I understand velious is "soon" and I hope it lasts for just as long if not longer than kunark has. (I know it's most likely boring for some of the veterans of this server) but my big fear is I'll put a ton of time here. Get max level on a few toons over the year(s) then poof, everything is gone see ya nice to know ya. I wouldn't be to concerned if it were some garbage mmo like wow or something where it takes a sitting or two to make max level it feels like. But when you pour time and dedication into this game and it gives it back it's not something I want to lose out on.
So I guess my ultimate question is, should I stick around for all this time? Again I know most of you all have poured more time into this than I will ever catch up to. But it is definitely a concern on my mind so I wanted to see what others thought.
Thanks for any feedback!

we arent going anywhere ;)

iruinedyourday
01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
we arent going anywhere ;)

thanks sirken, ill write you into my will and post about it here 40 years from now

Agonist
01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Shortly after Velious release: http://i.imgur.com/l8J3kpB.gif

myriverse
01-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Too bad Velious never had random avalanches.

Jenithia
01-04-2015, 06:20 PM
I wonder if the GMs here understand that P99 has literally altered lives. I know at *least* one couple who met here on p99, met, married, had kids. They lived in different states so I doubt they would have met otherwise. But seriously, there are at least 2 new lives out there, countless potential grandchildren, a whole friggin family tree is growing because these guys provided us with this classic game to enjoy. And that was just 2 people who were in Vesica Dei with me back in 2009-2011 or so.

Pringles
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect