PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay...

phoenix182
12-29-2014, 04:32 AM
in server donations and/or dev bribes, for a boxing exemption (ie be allowed to personally multi-box)?

I realize it's a dead issue, just curious how far people would go to earn soloing the game.

phoenix182
12-29-2014, 04:44 AM
On a semi-related note, how much would you pay for a full copy of the server code after the timeline is fully finished (ie through Velious)?

And yes, I realize that anything that makes them money would likely irritate Sony enough to cause C&Ds.

username17
12-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Dual boxing would wreck this server. I'd probably stop playing if it was allowed.

phoenix182
12-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Not saying it should be...was curious just how into the idea the people that are into it are.

Though here's my thing about 'it would wreck'...it probably would only change fairly high level loot camps at all, and those not much. After all, a person can only poopsock so long, and those people who are unsociable aren't suddenly sociable because it's banned...they just play slower solo or not at all anyway.

People who want to group do, and people who don't won't, no matter what the rules are. It's just some of the farmers that might exploit it some, but then again that's so bad already I'm not sure it would matter...especially since boxing reduces reliance on equipment significantly, thereby lowering the overall economy.

Again not saying it should change, just pointing out some fallacies common in the 'it would wreck' camp.

Rararboker
12-29-2014, 06:14 AM
Do you even play on this server????

When people say it would wreck camps, they mean it. They aren't talking about camps that can be solo'ed, those are already camped heavily. Boxing would allow people to solo spots which previously required 2-3+ people.

So, sorry if I come across as rude, but you sound like someone who has never experienced camps past lvl 15 on this server.

webrunner5
12-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Do you even play on this server????

When people say it would wreck camps, they mean it. They aren't talking about camps that can be solo'ed, those are already camped heavily. Boxing would allow people to solo spots which previously required 2-3+ people.

So, sorry if I come across as rude, but you sound like someone who has never experienced camps past lvl 15 on this server.

This, well said.

Bboboo
12-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Dual boxing would wreck this server. I'd probably stop playing if it was allowed.

Seriously though...

If people think a twinked monk camping pond in MM is bad just think of how many people would have a 50-60 Druid boxed leveling their alt, you wouldn't even need to twink at that point.

Specially considering how little effort it takes to level a Druid to 60.

Kohedron
12-29-2014, 01:06 PM
If the population was less, I wouldn't mind it. But I like things the way they are now

Taminy
12-29-2014, 01:52 PM
The population is stable enough to not need boxing at this point. Boxing on non-competitive raids wouldn't hurt though and would be nice in some ways.

That said, all I'd really want to be satisfied with to the point where I'd bribe would be shared bank or box in EC only or special shared banker in EC only. Forcing guildies to do transfers does not build community and getting strangers to do transfers (or doing transfers for them) is not worth the risk and trouble. Someone asked me to do a transfer last week and I refused. Why? If said person goes LD or just doesn't come back, how long am I supposed to wait? At what point do they go to the GMs crying that I stole their stuff? Not worth it.

sox7d
12-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Two-boxing for people who pay is the most cancerous idea I've ever fucking heard of. I love this server more than any game that's come out in the past 10 years and can't think of any better way to ruin it.

If you're trolling, holy shit, 10/10, if not...

*cocks shotgun*

myriverse
12-29-2014, 02:10 PM
I ain't paying for 15-year-old elf pixels. No how. No way.

And boxers need to be put in hell levels... and not the EQ kind.

sox7d
12-29-2014, 02:11 PM
After all, a person can only poopsock so long, and those people who are unsociable aren't suddenly sociable because it's banned...they just play slower solo or not at all anyway.

People who want to group do, and people who don't won't, no matter what the rules are.

Wrong. It's the tragedy of the commons/game theory that's ruined the state of the MMORPG genre over the last decade.

If soloing is not viable, people will need to look for groups and groups will be formed. If soloing is viable, and say 30% prefer to solo, the grouping pool is left to 70%, then that's a smaller pool of groupers and grouping becomes more difficult which makes soloing more appealing which just perpetuates until grouping is pretty much extinct.

maahes
12-29-2014, 03:43 PM
Nothing about single boxing EQ is classic to me. It was harder than shit for me to settle here knowing I can't box. EQ is flat boring only playing one toon, in classic I never ran less than 3 boxes. The key, I play different games on my other comps/monitors. Been rolling tanks in Axis and Allies Triple A, also started a toon on DAOC Origins Genesis. Keep my ADD monster satisfied.

But I agree with points in the post. I would lock down any camp in the game, thus hurting the community.

cormag
12-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Every highend item camp would be locked down by a shm/monk box

Fregar
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Zero.

If boxing is forbidden here, it's for a reason: because it's shit

sox7d
12-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Nothing about single boxing EQ is classic to me. It was harder than shit for me to settle here knowing I can't box. EQ is flat boring only playing one toon, in classic I never ran less than 3 boxes. The key, I play different games on my other comps/monitors. Been rolling tanks in Axis and Allies Triple A, also started a toon on DAOC Origins Genesis. Keep my ADD monster satisfied.

But I agree with points in the post. I would lock down any camp in the game, thus hurting the community.

If you want to play with yourself, why not do so on any other emu server for classic content?

Nazareth73
12-29-2014, 04:22 PM
I do not like multi-boxing, because I suck at it. It isn't an option, but even if it were, I would probably only have the second account loaded with buff-bots and mules. Then pimp roll an Iksar SK and finger bang everything, high on crack.

August
12-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Boxing is one of those things that bother me because a minority would ruin it for the majority.

I don't really have a desire to play multiple toons at once. However, I would love to be able to do my own transfers (solved by shared bank!). I play at weird hours and can't always get someone trustworthy @ the tunnel.

Similarly, I might like to give myself SoW from my shaman->rogue for his CR back to uguk, but instead I have to ask the tunnel dwellers.

These small life conveniences would be great, and back in the day they were possible due to an account actually costing money.

You open up boxing however, and yeah, people would powerlevel themselves everywhere. Camps that could be duo'd would be permacamped by 1 person. You actually saw this in Fippy Darkpaw when it first came out - i knew of several persons who would run 4-16 boxes and takedown camps by themselves strangling the market on things like Trannix Crown and GEB.

So I'm glad it is the way it is, however I do wish small tasks that don't affect anyone but myself were allowable in the 2-box sscenario, but I completely understand how impossible that is to enforce.

I VOTED NO BOXING

Danth
12-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Not thinking big enough. It wouldn't be one guy holding down one camp. Folks already do that with solo-friendly classes. Instead you'd have one guy holding down multiple camps at once.

Original post reads like a passive way of asking for boxing from someone who knows the community would pig-pile on him if he asked more directly.

Danth

drktmplr12
12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Terrible poll.

Let's see why:

Two boxing only makes account sharing worse than it already is. Next thing you know no one mains an enchanter or bard anymore because they can easily be played with alt-tabbing and autofollow. Same goes for pet classes really..

Now your are expected you to level up and bring two toons around with you. See Shards of Dalaya.

Affects grouping negatively by decreasing # of available spots in competitive grouping locales. Anyone could carry around their druid buff bot to camp anything. It would be chardok everywhere.

Was definitely not 'classic' in the sense some are referring until early PoP era. Tunare was a heavily populated server and I did not see boxers regularly until about then. Maybe Luclin you started to see it because DSL/ADSL became more prevalent. But forget about boxing on a traditional dial up unless you had multiple phone lines.

Imagine how bad it would be with as many 60's that exist now. Allowing boxing is a bad idea and most (~80% is my guess) players here would agree with that point. Thankfully the devs would never consider it.

Taminy
12-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Boxing is one of those things that bother me because a minority would ruin it for the majority.

I don't really have a desire to play multiple toons at once. However, I would love to be able to do my own transfers (solved by shared bank!). I play at weird hours and can't always get someone trustworthy @ the tunnel.

Similarly, I might like to give myself SoW from my shaman->rogue for his CR back to uguk, but instead I have to ask the tunnel dwellers.

These small life conveniences would be great, and back in the day they were possible due to an account actually costing money.

You open up boxing however, and yeah, people would powerlevel themselves everywhere. Camps that could be duo'd would be permacamped by 1 person. You actually saw this in Fippy Darkpaw when it first came out - i knew of several persons who would run 4-16 boxes and takedown camps by themselves strangling the market on things like Trannix Crown and GEB.

So I'm glad it is the way it is, however I do wish small tasks that don't affect anyone but myself were allowable in the 2-box sscenario, but I completely understand how impossible that is to enforce.

I VOTED NO BOXING

Yeah I agree which is why I said shared bank or special shared banker in EC etc. I don't see getting a SoW from tunnel dwellers as being a big deal (sure it would be nice to not have to) but transfers are especially rough. There's no real way you could enforce a no boxing except buffs rule - but you could do the shared bank.