PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy Wurmslayer?

Wibo49
12-24-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm a level 24 Bar War. I currently have a Jarsath Trident and a Green Jade Broadsword. I really enjoy tradeskill and selling, so I've been making a lot of money doing blacksmithing and killing gargoyles. I was just wondering if it would be a sensible investment to upgrade my primary to a Wurmslayer. It had a much better ratio, though the delay is nearly twice my current weapons. Would this increase my damage, and help me kill things faster? Thanks.

Lunababy
12-25-2014, 12:09 AM
warriors can never kill anything. your best bet is to spend all your money on hp/ac items so you can tank better. And a weapon with a proc so you can actually tank.

kaev
12-25-2014, 12:54 AM
At Level 24 ratio is everything for your damage. The problem with Wurmslayer is its slow delay. At higher level when your level-based damage bonus ([level - 25] / 3 for one-handers) starts being important it will do less damage (and create less agro) than faster weapons. For your primary hand, to compare damage between one-handed weapons use:
[((weapon_damage * 2) + damage_bonus) / weapon_delay]

Agro procs won't matter until you're at a level where you can use an effective one (L37 for Short Sword of the Ykesha, for instance.)

Wibo49
12-25-2014, 02:21 AM
I've got pretty good AC/HP gear. Treeweave, cobalt boots, various stat armor, 55hp rings. I'm kinda slow twinking myself. Like I said I enjoy the whole economy thing. So I guess it would be a good idea to skip the wurmy in favor of two lamentations or something like that?

Gimp
12-25-2014, 02:53 AM
I used a wurmy up to 40-45ish. Would recommend doing the same. You can't get any legit proc weapons til then anyway.

Zehv9
12-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Well if you're down for buying and selling, you could always just sell the wurmy off later when you're looking to get the faster proc weapons.

Manticmuse
12-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Come on ppl, when the dmg cap is removed is the best time to use a wurmy. It goes downhill from there, but those crits and crips are godly until u reach 37. Highly recommend to all lvl 20-36 warriors.

hammertime7795
12-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Probably better off using a staff of battle 31/37 until lvl 46 than a wurmslayer. Then switch to sarnark hammer for the stun proc. Staff is far cheaper than a wurmslayer as well.

Veleria
12-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Use a 2h like staff of battle 2h weapons have inherent aggro per swing that can even pull mobs onto you when you miss.

Jimjam
12-27-2014, 04:36 AM
All weapons have an inherent aggro per swing, even when you miss.

IIRC you get 2xDMG+damage bonus aggro regardless of how much damage you do (any swing from a miss to max damage is the same in a mob's eyes).

OP:You say you like the economy thing; if so then you may as well buy the wurmslayer provided you feel it won't loose too much value whilst you are using it (possible Velious release?) and you can always just resell it to get your money back.

Wibo49
12-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Yeah I'm buying it tomorrow (Saturday). Might as well give it a swing. I just made enough to get it, so hopefully someone will have one to sell. Thanks everyone for the input. If I don't like it then, well, at least it incentivized me to make 4k plat.

Bodybagger
12-27-2014, 12:49 PM
what if you quest it? also staff of battle suggestion is better because only need 1 good weapon with 2hander, get better dps as well with bonus dmg from 2hander based on delay! They don't show on weapons til later in velious but the effect is still there.... +4 damage or so for something that delay in a 2hander, wurmslayer gets nothing extra for being slow.

Veleria
01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind till the 30s the off hand is negligible when compared to the primary. Until 150 Double attack you cant even double attack with the off hand. So with a high ratio 2h like staff of battle getting primary hand rate of double attack you will experience more aggro until the point when you can equip dual Ykesha at 37 anyways.

vouss
01-04-2015, 05:47 PM
You are playing on blue do your weapons even matter other then procs? Obsidian shard then yaks imo

Vadd
01-04-2015, 10:49 PM
You are playing on blue do your weapons even matter other then procs? Obsidian shard then yaks imo

Manticmuse
01-05-2015, 12:48 AM
I bet obsidian shards were great when every melee in the group wasn't twinked. In the p99 world, the shards don't do enough dps to gain threat. You won't proc on every mob, and you will detract from solid group xp flow trying to play high end warrior with shitty classic daggers while everyone around you has kunark weapons.

Jimjam
01-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Recently I levelled another warrior up to play with some friends stuck in their 30s. During the 20s I found the only weapons that had potential to hold aggro against an epic rogue was dual obsidian shards... BUT it wasn't reliable, even with ~150 dex, as fight duration was so short often they wouldn't proc.

Most groups I'd end up using DPS weapons and the harder hitting mobs would be rooted so I could toe tank them.

SamwiseRed
01-05-2015, 02:47 AM
like the dude above, just go with high dps weapons. unless you are with a shaman or dexed the fuck out, the procs wont be reliable and even then they wont hold agro vs some twinks. your best bet is to have rogues use evade, monks use fd, and everyone else calm the fuck down. rooting also works.

SamwiseRed
01-05-2015, 02:48 AM
remember in classic a tank would get a mob down to 90% or so before anyone else would engage? lul classic. here everyone jumps on the mob before it even enters the "camp."

kaev
01-05-2015, 12:21 PM
remember in classic a tank would get a mob down to 90% or so before anyone else would engage? lul classic. here everyone jumps on the mob before it even enters the "camp."

ADHD + too much weed + mad mudflation makes for a huge glut of melees who hit their 50's with few clues how to play against content that can't be facerolled.

Aaramis
01-05-2015, 03:21 PM
I'd wager if you can stay in the "berserk" HP range, you'll have no problems holding aggro at all with a Wurmy. Or most weapons, for that matter.

Much easier to do at lower levels though, obviously.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd go with dps weapons. I've seen level 1 Monks running around with epics, let alone the other twinks out there. Obsidian shards just don't cut it.

Jimjam
01-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Genuine question; does berserk actually do anything to increase aggro? If so how? Are crip stuns higher aggro than a normal melee hit?