PDA

View Full Version : Absolute noob Paladin

yingyang264
12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Just starting to play EQ again, First time on project1999 (Used to play EQOA frontiers on ps2) and im going to be building a paladin.

Which type of skills are worth ranking up 1H slash/etc. I will be playing as a tank paladin

also any macros, binds and things that'd be ideal to help me get started off? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Thulack
12-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Just starting to play EQ again, First time on project1999 (Used to play EQOA frontiers on ps2) and im going to be building a paladin.

Which type of skills are worth ranking up 1H slash/etc. I will be playing as a tank paladin

also any macros, binds and things that'd be ideal to help me get started off? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

There is no other kind of paladin :D. Work on keeping all your skills maxxed though. You can let a weapon skill or 2 fall off if you know what weapons you will be using later on. Not really informed on what high level pallies choose other then 2hs though.

sox7d
12-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Use flash of light to hold agro, it's much better than taunt.

A baton of faith is a godly weapon for under 300pp, the ratio is way better than the mitigation a shield would have, but if you're adamant about being as tank as you can be, get a sword of skyfire for 100-200pp and then eventually sword of the mourning. (So to answer your question, 2hb, 1hs... 1hb for some neat but expensive paladin maces comes in handy later)

ghost182
12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Save your skill points, level things up by doing them. just make sure you put sense heading on a hot key and bind that hotkey to your left or right turn key so it skills up as you walk.

falkun
12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Train all the weapon skills! Narandi's Lance 2hp in Velious, epic is 2hs, sword of the morning is 1hs, baton of faith is a dirt cheap & fantastic 2hb, and smouldering brand is a quick 1hb. If pally is your main, BOF + banded/bronze can hold you until the late 30s when you start picking up Ro gear and then Valorium (planar). The good news is pally gear is CHEAP, because they are such an underrated class.

sox7d
12-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Train all the weapon skills! Narandi's Lance 2hp in Velious, epic is 2hs, sword of the morning is 1hs, baton of faith is a dirt cheap & fantastic 2hb, and smouldering brand is a quick 1hb. If pally is your main, BOF + banded/bronze can hold you until the late 30s when you start picking up Ro gear and then Valorium (planar). The good news is pally gear is CHEAP, because they are such an underrated class.

Ro gear is pricier than deepwater I believe with much less AC. I'd aim for deepwater, imo.

Tuljin
12-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Very similar thread to this recently gonna ctrl c ctrl v

One of the main characteristics of the Paladin is sword-and-board. You have to get a 1hs and a shield. I recommend for a nub Sword of Morning, Ghoulbane, and Crested Mistmoore Shield, which has great stats for those undead procs in Unrest as well as some nice saves.

You have to make sure you keep up your bash skill. Its tough to skill up and you have to keep up on it constantly. It is a key skill even at low levels because you don't get your first stun until 30 and there's many caster mobs you'll run into before then. You are stuck with only one stun until 49 - you will absolutely need both your magic stun and your bash to deal with casters in Mistmoore, Sol B, and Lower Guk etc. When you're all grown up and tanking Frogloks and Erudite ghosts you will need it then too.

Baton of Faith is dirt cheap and very decent. Use the Baton on melee mobs, sword-and-board casters. Make sure you're keeping up on your skillups every level.

Also, when you get level 9 make sure you use Flash of Light liberally. It is your main snap agro tool all the way on up to 60. When you finally start stunning you will learn when to use Flash and when to use Stun.

yingyang264
12-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Guys, thanks very much for all the quick responses.
I'm currently riollin with a 2H weapon, just to get me goin.

I'll probably switch it out soon for a 1 S+B and start gettin my weapon skill ups.
Only level 4 atm, but I will save up my skill points for now so i can max bash + FOL asap

IGN is pallypowah high elf :) running around like a bit of a scrub in Kelethin atm :D

falkun
12-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Ro gear is pricier than deepwater I believe with much less AC. I'd aim for deepwater, imo.

The Ro gear to pick up are the BP and legs, which are cheaper than DW (since those are the stat pieces and they drop from raid targets). Otherwise, you are correct, DW gear all the way.

falkun
12-12-2014, 11:00 AM
IGN is pallypowah high elf

That name is aweful, reroll before that 40% exp penalty really starts biting you in the ass. However, HIE are awesome, but be male for the cat helmets:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2705/highelf.jpg

Also, get to 55, and enjoy this sexiness:
http://epicquestadventures.tripod.com/images/natures_defender_worn.jpg

yingyang264
12-12-2014, 12:09 PM
lmfao, i know it's pretty cringe mate. As expansive as my imagination is.

I was torn between "BEASTINPALA" which i corpse ran at level 1.. and pallypowah lol

kaev
12-12-2014, 01:17 PM
The Ro gear to pick up are the BP and legs, which are cheaper than DW (since those are the stat pieces and they drop from raid targets). Otherwise, you are correct, DW gear all the way.

The Tree Weave is a superior BP to Breastplate of Ro (+5ac and +6str in comparison, you will be fine without the 10fr), especially for a weak-wristed high elf, and it is cheaper! The drawback is leather look is ugly when mixed with plate. This means that if you see a good-looking budget paladin you should suspect he doesn't know what gear is best, while an ugly looking budget paladin might be more clueful. With 25ac & 10str the Tree Weave should be an early goal for the budget paladin. Embrace the ugly!

Boots of Ro are cool, 35hp is nothing to sneer at as a tank.

One wrist should be Hero Bracers when you can afford it, you'll want that 10str.

Also, seriously try to come up with a better name, even something bland and unremarkable is better than those. A lot of players on this server hold knee-jerk prejudices vs hybrids in general and paladins in particular, you don't want people cringing at your name besides.

yingyang264
12-12-2014, 05:22 PM
haha a bit late to change my name now lol. Hopefully people will be able to see the funny side, people will tell if im being serious if i carry on playing which i thoroughly intend on doing.

Admittedly, I keep getting lost and i'm wandering around like a total noob. LF parties at Orc hill

Arachnos99
12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
I can attest that the paladin road to 60 is a long and grueling one, even with a normal name you catch a lot of hate.

Danth
12-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm a glutton for punishment so I have a 50+ Paladin and a 60 SK. You'll run into the occasional group that won't take you due to the hybrid penalty, but in my experience far more groups are happy to have a tank with actual aggro control. For every min-maxer out there there's a lot more players who're happy to be lazy and gleefully blast away with no regard for aggro generation. Of course that 40% penalty with mediocre solo ability (delining to almost nil at 50+) ensures it's a very long road to 60, regardless. Most hybrids peter out by the low-mid 50's.

Oh, if you don't want to wear an ugly treeweave, you can use a dusty breastplate instead and at least keep a plate graphic.

Danth

yingyang264
12-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Again thanks for the replies. im aiming to get bash at level 6 and have a few skill points in the bag. Pretty slow with just 2H auto atk

I've picked up a fair few belts/hatchets that i need to sell.. Will aim to get 1HSNB when I can though. Got about 100 plat atm as someone gave me a bit to get started (very thankful for)

I joined the guild shadows with some friends, and I got given a Charred guardian breastplate. However another dude kicked us all out for being lowbies under 30, ah well :)

I'll stay persistent with it, quite enjoying it atm. Community seem very actve and friendly which is fantastic when things are bit daunting at first

yingyang264
12-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Double posting - update

Managed to snag myself a Green Jade Broadswoard + a tower shield, and level 6.. gonaa see how i go with these for a bit