PDA

View Full Version : A New Newb is born

Groum
11-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Hey all,

Actually not so much a newbie as a new P1999 guy. I played Classic EQ waaaay back in the day--as in I had the exp penalty and stared at spellbooks to med, so this is blast from the past. Has it really been over a decade?? I guess it has.

I'm running a Troll Shaman, my forum namesake. But unlike modern games, the challenge is actually there. I've found that I have forgotten so much that it isn't funny, and learned some bad habits from the easy-mode games. I have died 4 times and delevelled three times already :eek: Innothule was a great place to get lost, the water prevents you from running away, and hey, there are Shadowed Men there. Not exactly the tutorial-like newbie zone of all modern online games!

Anyway, the thing that really struck me was how helpful the people are on the server. Someone gave me a fine steel staff to get me on my way for no reason, and LOTS of random Guk passer's by tossed me buffs to help me out. Now that I made lvl 10 I can at least trade SoW for them, but the point is: you guys rock. People used to help out the new players, I remember that clearly. But not this much. So far every time I have logged in someone has been friendly, helpful, or at least traded high level buffs for a crappy lvl 9 SoW, and I'm in the freakin' swamp. This server has exceeded my expectations.

I doubt that I'll ever be able to raid like in the old days (I have a family that needs my attention), but I'm already lvl 10 and saving for banded, and tremendously enjoying the classic feel of what is probably the best old-school game of all time. So thanks to the community for also making it "feel" like the awesome experience that it was "back in my day". (Heh, get off my lawn?, lol)

Groum