PDA

View Full Version : Why the insane miss rate for Paladin/SK?

cr0ss
11-14-2014, 05:48 AM
I've scoured the forums a bit and can't seem to find a good explanation for this. Yes, the attack rating is lower due to lower max skill caps, but if you consider the fact that myself (as a 56 Paladin) hit less often than a 47 warrior (9 level difference) or a 46 rogue (10 level difference) on a level 50 mob, it's pretty absurd.

Doing some parses I was able to determine that myself as the paladin had about a 55-60% accuracy while the two low levels have 80-85% accuracy. This plays into HUGE effect when it comes to playing on Red as well, as I will constantly miss my target while they hit 10+ times in a row. Even if I out play them while jousting and getting attacks in while they do not, the fact that I miss 50% of attacks is just astounding to me (doesn't matter if they are blue con/even con/yellow/red con, hit rate seems to be about the same).

Is there any code examples for this? I'm just curious to check it out because it's awfully irritating right now, so much so that I almost want to switch to another class even after dumping so much time into it.

Loadsamoney
11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Are you getting every source of attack that you can?

Str/Dex caps?
Yaulp?
Grim Aura?
Buffs/Songs?

Those sources are what's going to compensate for the lower skill caps as a result of being a hybrid. I don't think you're really missing that much, but you have to account for variance in the RNG. Sometimes you can miss 7 or 8 swings in a row because of nothing but bad luck.

Malevz
11-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Find this with SK too, seems to have something to do with 2h weapons as 1h on a hybrid don't seem to be as bad. Even with warrior it seems like you hit a lot more toward the lower end of the scale.

Danth
11-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Hybrids have an innately higher chance to miss for a given offense/weapon skill level than pure melees do. This was one of the things changed during the Velious era; I forget exactly when offhand but think it was later in the expansion, October '01 or therabout, that they were put on the same combat table as Warriors. I don't know how well that is or isn't implemented on P1999, since melee has never been quite the same here as Live, but in theory things should get better after Velious has been out awhile.

Danth

koros
11-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Hybrids have an innately higher chance to miss for a given offense/weapon skill level than pure melees do. This was one of the things changed during the Velious era; I forget exactly when offhand but think it was later in the expansion, October '01 or therabout, that they were put on the same combat table as Warriors. I don't know how well that is or isn't implemented on P1999, since melee has never been quite the same here as Live, but in theory things should get better after Velious has been out awhile.

Danth

Incorrect. It was entirely skill related. Combat table had to do with the distribution of hits.

Swish
11-16-2014, 12:52 PM
I know it's beside the point, but hit/miss ratios aren't really a problem for SKs/pallies - there's enough aggro building in the spells (Disease Cloud, Darkness / Stun, FoL etc).

...unless you're soloing of course, and surely that's slower than grouping? ;p

Raev
11-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Doing some parses I was able to determine that myself as the paladin had about a 55-60% accuracy while the two low levels have 80-85% accuracy.

You are definitely not measuring a large enough sample. Both warriors and rogues cap offensive skills at 40 and are identical to SKs until they start to go up again at 50. Even my Monk would only hit stuff 70% of the time.

Arteker
11-16-2014, 04:31 PM
* Summary of Melee Changes *

- Two-Handed Weapons have been given an increased damage bonus for
characters over level 50. Also, certain post-epic quality two-handers
have been improved.

- Warriors have had their taunt skill cap increased to 230 at 60th
level. Also, the Blades of Strategy and Tactics can now be used in
either hand.

- Rogues, as the primary user of piercing weapons, will benefit from an
improvement in the quality of a few existing high-end daggers. At some
future date new piercing weapons will be added to the game to fill gaps
in equipment availability.

- Monks will now be on an improved combat table at levels 55 and again
to a better table at 60. Monks now have the ability to Triple Attack at
60th level. The minimum damage done by Flying Kick will be greatly
increased for monks starting at 51st level and scaling up to level 60.
We also intend to add more monk weapons in the future to fill equipment
gaps.

- Rangers have their Double Attack skill cap raised to 245. They have
also gained an innate offensive bonus that starts at level 55 and
increases until level 60. Ranger's Defense skill cap has been raised to
220, and their Riposte skill cap has been raised to 185.

- Paladins and Shadowknights, besides the benefits they gain from the
two-handed weapons change mentioned above, have also been moved to the
same combat tables as warriors. In the future we intend to examine the
existing one-handed weapons useable by knights for possible upgrades.
We are also increasing the Taunt skill cap for these two classes to

- Bards have had their 1h blunt and 1h slash skill caps increased to
250. Their piercing skill cap has been increased to 240. Their Offense
skill cap has been raised to 252. Bards are also being moved to the
same combat table with all the other melee and hybrid classes (save
monks who have separate tables after level 55). Bards Parry skill cap
has been raised to 185 as well. Finally, the Singing Shortsword can now
be equipped in the off hand and still give full song enhancing
benefits.

Please read the detailed explanation of these changes on our
Developer's Corner message boards at
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/everquest/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Arteker
11-16-2014, 04:33 PM
till velious paladin sk miss alot due to be in a different mele table as warrior. by end of velious that was changed , that together spell haste , pal sk defensive mod been moved as well to war levels made the herald of the luclin pop expansions wich increased the love for the hybrid class to the point furor and his lackeys bitched for years.

Itap
11-16-2014, 07:59 PM
You're wondering why your hybrid character is missing more than a pure melee? Is this a serious question?

koros
11-17-2014, 12:35 PM
till velious paladin sk miss alot due to be in a different mele table as warrior. by end of velious that was changed , that together spell haste , pal sk defensive mod been moved as well to war levels made the herald of the luclin pop expansions wich increased the love for the hybrid class to the point furor and his lackeys bitched for years.

Again, combat table means the distribution of hits. It has nothing to do with the miss rate.

Haynar
11-17-2014, 01:05 PM
The historical solution to this was:

Turn off misses, so you don't see them.

Not kidding.

H

kaev
11-17-2014, 03:55 PM
The historical solution to this was:

Turn off misses, so you don't see them.

Not kidding.

H

This man speaks the truth.

Brut
11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Weapon skills my foot, rogues have 0 2hblunt and whenever I'm hammering a white con player (or some npc for that matter) I'm landing basically every hit. There's some specific combat tables that make hybrids swing and miss decaying skeletons.

koros
11-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Weapon skills my foot, rogues have 0 2hblunt and whenever I'm hammering a white con player (or some npc for that matter) I'm landing basically every hit. There's some specific combat tables that make hybrids swing and miss decaying skeletons.

Basically every hit? I think you have confirmation bias. It was like 62% hit rate overall at 60 iirc with maxed skills. The difference between hybrids and pure melee was quite small even when weapon skill differences was taken into account. Your level and offense skill play a big part of your hit rate as well, not some class based combat table.

Brut
11-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Basically every hit? I think you have confirmation bias. It was like 62% hit rate overall at 60 iirc with maxed skills. The difference between hybrids and pure melee was quite small even when weapon skill differences was taken into account. Your level and offense skill play a big part of your hit rate as well, not some class based combat table.
Smacked a bunch of dark blues around with an orc shovel on 60rog just now, looks like a steady good hit rate despite having no 2hblunt ability / buffs whatsoever. Actually looking at this makes me think I'm on my SK right now. Pure melees just land attacks way more often imo.