PDA

View Full Version : New Monk, saying hi and asking advice

jolanar
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

New to the server but not EQ. I know the basics, but looking for server specific tips.

I started in Qeynos. I know about the gnoll fang quests, but aside from that, is there anything I should know? So far I have just been hunting decayed skeletons and gnoll pups trying to collect a set of cloth armor and sell rusty weapons for cash.

I started with a club, but are my fists better? The club weighs 4 and that seems like a lot for not much benefit.

After I get a set of cloth armor, what items should I focus on getting first?

Do I need to worry about being KoS in Qeynos if I turn in too many gnoll fangs and ruin my corrupt guard faction?

Anything other Qeynos or class specific advice?

Lastly, if any guilds are recruiting new players I would love to join so I can pester everyone with questions. :D

webrunner5
11-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Not sure what level you are but if not too high I would delete it and start in West Freeport. Lot better areas and more people to group with and handouts gear and buff wise in the EC Tunnel. Qeynos is a ghost town and damn hard to get out of. Since the Knoll Fang nerf not really worth it anymore like it used to be.

But If you really want to play a Monk you ought to think about going the Iksar route. The re gen is crazy good and the starting area is much better. But you are pretty much stuck there also unless you luck out and get a ride. Welcome aboard.

jolanar
11-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Doh. I'm already level 4, and I know that's not a TON of time, but I feel like I'm already attached to my character too much to restart at this point.

What's a safe-ish level to run to Freeport?

justin2090
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Iksars do have an awesome starting area. My monk is 51 and still has the same bind point since lvl 1.

hablabba
11-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Keep in mind iksar also have an exp. penalty, however their innate AC/regen is really really good. Being kos doesn't matter so much to monks because we get FD and sneak so you can talk to and travel around most places if you're careful.

Poke around the monk section of this forum too once you're a little bigger, sometimes people do Crescent Armor runs in Dalnir which is some fantastic armor that is no drop. Other than that, I would second starting in Cabilis as an Iksar. The leveling progression is pretty fantastic there. Might also be worth making an alt around EC and talking to the tunnelrats to try and get some donations going and then bring them to your iksar.

Weapon wise, you want to save up for Wu's Quivering Staff (200ish pp) right away and then Peacebringer (4k or so). The staff is a tremendously good weapon that will last you a very long while. Farm bone chips in Kurns, or farm willowisps for lightstones and do the quest turn in in the karanas for xp/money. 200pp wont take long to make doing that and you'll be off to a great start.

Armor wise go for a full set of cured silk which is pretty cheap. Then start saving up for the 5ac55hp rings. Makes a world of difference.

jolanar
11-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Weapon wise, you want to save up for Wu's Quivering Staff (200ish pp) right away and then Peacebringer (4k or so). The staff is a tremendously good weapon that will last you a very long while. Farm bone chips in Kurns, or farm willowisps for lightstones and do the quest turn in in the karanas for xp/money. 200pp wont take long to make doing that and you'll be off to a great start.

Armor wise go for a full set of cured silk which is pretty cheap. Then start saving up for the 5ac55hp rings. Makes a world of difference.

Since I have been killing mostly skeletons to level up, (halfway through level 4 atm) I have around 150 bone chips already. Do they really sell for 1p each?

Wu's Quivering Staff will be my first purchase for sure. Sounds like I should pretty much make the run to Freeport as soon as possible. Just need to figure out a safe level to make the attempt. I think I will go as soon as I get the sneak skill.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

webrunner5
11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Yeah Iksar Monks have a 44% xp penalty and Humans have a 20% xp penalty. But I have found that Iksar Monks with their regen can kill more mobs in an say an hour than Humans. So the penalty is not as bad as seems. And they can solo better also with the regen. Neither class makes much of a real big difference until higher levels. But 50 + the Iksar regen is pretty huge. :eek:

Tankdan
11-11-2014, 10:57 AM
fists are garbage considering the plenty of cheap or free monk items available. Cane of Harmony and similar type weaps are like 100 or free. Fist ratios are on the wiki under Monk http://wiki.project1999.com/Monk

Kayso
11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Weapons on the cheap 1-20: Wu's Trance Stick, Cane of the Tranquil, Fighting Baton, Cane of Harmony. Don't pay more than 100ish. Try to get two if you can afford them, but even 1 would work.

Level 20+: Wu's quivering Staff. ~150pp. You should save one of the 1HB weapons, but can trade in the other if you have two.

Level 30+: Stave of Shielding + your other banked 1h weapon. ~3K. Then save for another Stave of Shielding.

Optional: Stick with 2HB and get either a Peacebringer or Imbued Fighters Staff to replace Wu's Quivering instead of Stave of Shielding x2. Math says the DPS isn't as good, but there are advantages to hard-hitting 2HB including riposte damage and less damage for you against damage shields.

Phantasm
11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Main focus should be:

Haste
Hitpoints
Whatever 1h's you can scrounge up.

Find as much +hitpoints gear as you can. Get yourself a haste of some kind. Find some decent 1h weapons, knuckle dusters, jade mace, staff of shielding, adamantite club(thats in price order from cheapest to most expensive). I know this isn't going to be a right away list but start saving up! For the time being you'll just want to stick with pretty much anything you find that is an upgrade and save up plat. Plus hitpoints gear, such as 5 ac, 55 hitpoints rings are a significant upgrade for you, giving you virtually 1/4 more hitpoints then you had previously depending on your level.

Any questions feel free to message Vetus in game if you find me online I'll try to help you out.

jolanar
11-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Sounds like some conflicting data between going for 1hand vs 2hand. Guess ill see what's available for the cheapest.

jolanar
11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Actually, I think when I get home tonight I'm just going to bank all my gear and do a #YOLO run to Freeport. That way if I die I don't have to worry about getting my corpse.

iruinedyourday
11-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I started in Qeynos. I know about the gnoll fang quests, but aside from that, is there anything I should know? So far I have just been hunting decayed skeletons and gnoll pups trying to collect a set of cloth armor and sell rusty weapons for cash.

Another great step to get levels and starting plat is to go directly to West Karana after you are done with gnoll-fangs, and level up through your teens (if you can solo) the bandits.. I think i was like 15 or 16 when I started, there are 3 camps of them and you can prob find people to join you to duo or trio! they have a good re-spawn but most importantly drop bandit sashes.. load up your inventory and turn them into a guy at the paladin guild for a bronze wep, to sell at a merchant right next to him.. I made all my starting plat there so its doable with whatever you were able to scrape up new to the server, like cloth/leather armors!

GinnasP99
11-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Sounds like some conflicting data between going for 1hand vs 2hand. Guess ill see what's available for the cheapest.

Look for master wu's trance stick (1hb) or Wu's quivering staff (2hb) Both are fairly cheap and very effective

jolanar
11-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Well guess I am going to have to just beg for a port. I made it to highpass but there were tons of gnolls blocking the path. Ugh...

Kayso
11-11-2014, 09:47 PM

There's no conflicting data. 1-20 optimally will be one of the suggested 1H weapons and possibly a second if you can arrange it. ~100p each. However, if you get a chance to get a Wu's Quivering Staff at a good price (or as a gimmie), don't hesitate to use it before level 20.

Unless you have money for a SoS (1H) ~2.8K and one of the suggested 1HB weapons by level 20, 20-30 is prime time for Wu's Quivering Staff (2H) ~150p.

By 30, you should be able to afford either an SoS (pair with whatever your old 1H was, trade up to a Knuckle Duster, or add a second SoS), PB (2H), or IFS (2H). At that point, it becomes debatable as to what is "best", but not as to what is the most dps -- SoS x2.

jolanar
11-11-2014, 11:15 PM
There's no conflicting data. 1-20 optimally will be one of the suggested 1H weapons and possibly a second if you can arrange it. ~100p each. However, if you get a chance to get a Wu's Quivering Staff at a good price (or as a gimmie), don't hesitate to use it before level 20.

Unless you have money for a SoS (1H) ~2.8K and one of the suggested 1HB weapons by level 20, 20-30 is prime time for Wu's Quivering Staff (2H) ~150p.

By 30, you should be able to afford either an SoS (pair with whatever your old 1H was, trade up to a Knuckle Duster, or add a second SoS), PB (2H), or IFS (2H). At that point, it becomes debatable as to what is "best", but not as to what is the most dps -- SoS x2.

I was able to finally make it to EC. I sold all my bone chips and was able to get a decent discount on Wu's Staff for 100p and someone also randomly gave me a Cane of the Tranquil. Going to use the Wu's for a bit until my 2hb skill gets caught up then I will follow your advice.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

krforrester
11-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Well guess I am going to have to just beg for a port. I made it to highpass but there were tons of gnolls blocking the path. Ugh...

Take the southern route and hug the zone walls: NK - SK - LR - RM - TF - IS - SoRo - Oasis - NoRo - Freeport.

At level 4 I made it twice from Erudin (accidentally hit gate in NoRo so had to run again).

ETA: Oops, I see you made it. Good job.

jolanar
11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Take the southern route and hug the zone walls: NK - SK - LR - RM - TF - IS - SoRo - Oasis - NoRo - Freeport.

At level 4 I made it twice from Erudin (accidentally hit gate in NoRo so had to run again).

ETA: Oops, I see you made it. Good job.

I had thought about that route, but I assumed high pass was better. I will keep that in mind though.

I was just lucky enough that there happened to be a high level druid in Qeynos. I wasn't going to beg a druid to come pick me up, but since he was already there . :)

jolanar
11-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Well after all that work I ended up accidentally selling the staff to a vendor and the GMs won't return it.

Guess this game isn't for me after all. Thanks everyone for the advice, don't think I'll be logging back on though.

webrunner5
11-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Well after all that work I ended up accidentally selling the staff to a vendor and the GMs won't return it.

Guess this game isn't for me after all. Thanks everyone for the advice, don't think I'll be logging back on though.

Wow, talk about a bad way to start. Been there done that. Wait till you drop 2 bags of uber stuff on the ground to transfer to a alt and the server goes down. Done that twice over the years on here. Talk about wanting to QUIT lol. :eek::eek:

This game and server is hard as hell and that is what makes it a challenge and for the most part fun to play. Man against the Machine thingy. Hope you come back. Playing a easy game, WoW comes to mind, is really not that rewarding as here. :p

jolanar
11-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Wow, talk about a bad way to start. Been there done that. Wait till you drop 2 bags of uber stuff on the ground to transfer to a alt and the server goes down. Done that twice over the years on here. Talk about wanting to QUIT lol. :eek::eek:

This game and server is hard as hell and that is what makes it a challenge and for the most part fun to play. Man against the Machine thingy. Hope you come back. Playing a easy game, WoW comes to mind, is really not that rewarding as here. :p

For what it's worth the GM was very nice about it and gave me a nice little pep talk. Still, it really took the wind out of my sails.

I might take this opportunity to re-roll now that I'm back to having nothing again. We'll see.

Spyder73
11-14-2014, 11:25 AM
I just started on P99 as a monk probably 3 weeks ago. I started in Qeynos as well! No twinking, no friends, no money, completely fresh start.

Iskar may be better down the road, but when you have no cash and no friends, leveling more quickly definately has its appeal. Plus when your getting back into the game, being an agnostic monk is nice because you can go almost anywhere (OverThere for example). I dinged level 30 last night in HHK, and i dont think I have solo'd more than a handful of mobs, you can always find groups and then the Iskar bonus disapears.

Dont worry about your gear to much - use your fists if you have to - you need levels or you wont get anywhere.

Here is my advise on leveling a monk when brand new to the server.
Qeynos/Black Burrow (1-12) - Dont turn in ANY gnoll fangs untill AFTER lvl 11, and youll reach 13-14 no problem just from fang turn ins.
Oasis (12-18/19) Orc camp and crocs - always lots of people
Highpass (18/19-22) Orcs - Sell the Orc scalps for 10pp - The Shiny Brass Idol sells for 500p, the bag sells for 200p. I made 1.5k in PP from this place. You can finance your entire operation off one Idol drop.
MistMoore (22-25) Pond is good XP but crowded - Guk is close to Oasis
UpperGuk (22-25) get MESH armor from the Frogs, its very good and free.
HighKeep (25-31) Sell the Goblin Ears for 30-35pp each, good money to be made here. I have what i would consider above average "starter" gear from following this path.

Following this route it took me only a couple of weeks and I have almost 4kPP, and a pretty good set up on gear.

The 55hp rings are the best investment there is. After that buy Wu Trance Stick 2x, Wu Quivering Staff, and then start saving 9k for FBSS.

I made a trip over to Lake of Ill Omen and WarSlik woods somewhere between 20-25 because I hate Guk. Good XP over there also. Plus I got Iskar Scaled Gloves and a Lumber Jack helm from WW.

Ohhhhhhh - And the good think about WW is that Dalnir is right next to it and there is a chance to catch a high lvl doing a Cresent Armor run!!! Enjoy

Spyder73
11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I will give you one of my Wu Staffs - Message Tekilya in game

Captiv8
11-14-2014, 03:33 PM
nice list Spyder. I will have to follow that on my Iksar. Right now he is level 8 and I have tons of bone chips and spidering silk to go sell so I can pickup a couple trance sticks.

There is crypt in Field of Bone where tons of spiderlings spawn. Good xp and silk drops.

~Vleske, 8 Monk

HedleyKow
11-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Is there somewhere in Kunark where people buy and sell? Or would I have to get a port to buy gear in EC? Because I haven't seen anyone selling in and around Cabilis thus far.

I'm level 6 at the moment and so far all I have at the moment is curscale armor and the quest shackle. Are there any cheap 1hb or 2hb weapons obtainable to at least train with while I save up for Wu's trance stick and Wu's Quivering staff? So far I've been using the starter club and my fists to train, and haven't found a 2hb to train with.

Clark
11-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Welcome to the server. Quickest route to xping up would be to get a port to WC, and bind in wfp. Free buffs in ec; sometimes folks give away free items too.

Oasis 12-18ish.

HedleyKow
11-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Meh. I kind of wanted to stay in Kunark. I'll think about it, but for now I'll just see if I can find a crappy 2hander to train with for now and keep leveling for a bit.

There any good places to get money in Kunark at least?

webrunner5
11-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Meh. I kind of wanted to stay in Kunark. I'll think about it, but for now I'll just see if I can find a crappy 2hander to train with for now and keep leveling for a bit.

There any good places to get money in Kunark at least?

You are going to have to be a lot higher to get any gear to amount to anything at level 6. I started out in EC doing HQ Bear hides and Bone chips, and Spiderlings Silk and worked my way up from there. You have to have decent weapons to kill stuff and that cost plat. No plat to be made in FoB that I can think of. Can only sell so many Bones. Kurns Tower if you get Lucky as hell on a few random rolls you might make some plat.

You have to get higher level wise to get anything worth having. And even then not easy. That is why having 4 alts or more, and jumping in between them, never ends well.

The higher you get the better the gear is that drops. So stick to one class, level it up to 30ish at least so you can loot some stuff to have or sell. Pretty much only way it is going to happen. Even if you start a Druid you HAVE to be level 26 or more to port. Same as Wizard. :p

HedleyKow
11-15-2014, 10:16 AM
If I did move to Freeport area, where can iksars sell stuff and use the bank? Would it require grinding faction before even being able to use the bank?

Sorry, not very familiar with iksars.

webrunner5
11-15-2014, 10:31 AM
You can sell stuff to a Vender in WFP secret area at the end of the left wall when you zone in from EC. As for Banking and selling to other venders in EC WFP you can sneak behind venders and sell and buy. Bank you can do the same or the old though the wall trick. But I would want FD before trying that to get past Guards. You can buy and sell to any Gypsy Camp. Oasis of Marr has a camp. Not far from EC Tunnel. And there is a vender in the back of the tunnel you can sell and buy from but he wants crazy prices for stuff and you get ripped of selling to him. The others I mentioned are normal prices.

I am pretty sure you can get wolf form and train at the outside Monk trainer in WFP? I know you can get to NFP in wolf form.

jolanar
12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Update: Now level 23 and still leveling up in North Karana. Haven't found anything better for my level. I prefer to hunt where mobs are half green but still give exp/half very low dark blue cons so I can keep the fighting constant. Any suggestions for leveling in the next 5 or 10 levels?

I have the AC/HP rings a set of cured silk and a couple other cheap pieces (azure sleeves, collar of undead protection, drolvarg mantle). So now it's basically save all my money for FBSS? How much do those go for on this server?

In a few more levels I plan to do Treant Fists quests and finish up the Qeynos headband quests. Aside from that I'm not really sure if there is anything else I should be working on.

Thanks in advance.

eqravenprince
12-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Update: Now level 23 and still leveling up in North Karana. Haven't found anything better for my level. I prefer to hunt where mobs are half green but still give exp/half very low dark blue cons so I can keep the fighting constant. Any suggestions for leveling in the next 5 or 10 levels?

Early 20s, I was hunting the Dark Elf guards in Nektulous, 7 total. When I got bored there, I also went to highpass hold and hunted gnolls. Heart spiders in upper guk are good for your level and some of the frogloks. Lake of Ill Omen would be good too.

Late 20s to late 30's I spent hunting guards in HighKeep. They always drop a fine steel weapon, there are vendors and a bank there.

Belir
12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Another new monk here. Far from a new player, been playing EQ since it came out until about 4 years ago, at that point it's been on and off. But figured I'd move over here instead.

I don't want to break any forum rules. But I also don't want to beat around the bush. It's a begging post. If anyone have some old stuff they feel they can spare to a completely naked Iksar Monk (level 2 atm) - send a tell to Nurhachi in-game. :)

Kind regards,
Newbish

jolanar
12-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Early 20s, I was hunting the Dark Elf guards in Nektulous, 7 total. When I got bored there, I also went to highpass hold and hunted gnolls. Heart spiders in upper guk are good for your level and some of the frogloks. Lake of Ill Omen would be good too.

Late 20s to late 30's I spent hunting guards in HighKeep. They always drop a fine steel weapon, there are vendors and a bank there.

Do the heart spiders have a poison ability? I tried hunting spiders in East Karana but got wrecked by the poison.

Does hunting guards in HHK hurt your faction? What's the earliest level you can start killing in HHK (with above gear limitations).

eqravenprince
12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Skip the spiders if soloing, I think I did them with a healer. HHK guards as long as they are named which most are, they only hurt your faction with HHK guards and the guards roaming HighPass. There are a couple unnamed guards on the upper floors, but even if you do kill them, I don't think it's a big faction hit. I hunted there for 10 levels and I'm not KOS to freeport or qeynos guards. Corrupted guards in qeynos, I believe I am KOS, but that could be from turning in gnoll fangs back in the day. You can start hunting them around level 25, I did, but it gets a hell of a lot easier around 28. When I first started hunting there, I was so paranoid about being KOS to guards, that when I got close to being KOS, I would go out and hunt gnolls and turn in scalps until I got my faction back up. I occasionally got experience on a gnoll, ringmail to sell, and money too.

jolanar
12-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Skip the spiders if soloing, I think I did them with a healer. HHK guards as long as they are named which most are, they only hurt your faction with HHK guards and the guards roaming HighPass. There are a couple unnamed guards on the upper floors, but even if you do kill them, I don't think it's a big faction hit. I hunted there for 10 levels and I'm not KOS to freeport or qeynos guards. Corrupted guards in qeynos, I believe I am KOS, but that could be from turning in gnoll fangs back in the day. You can start hunting them around level 25, I did, but it gets a hell of a lot easier around 28. When I first started hunting there, I was so paranoid about being KOS to guards, that when I got close to being KOS, I would go out and hunt gnolls and turn in scalps until I got my faction back up. I occasionally got experience on a gnoll, ringmail to sell, and money too.

Nice, sounds like with a little effort I don't have to worry about being KoS.

iruinedyourday
12-04-2014, 08:39 PM

I have the AC/HP rings a set of cured silk and a couple other cheap pieces (azure sleeves, collar of undead protection, drolvarg mantle). So now it's basically save all my money for FBSS? How much do those go for on this server?

In a few more levels I plan to do Treant Fists quests and finish up the Qeynos headband quests. Aside from that I'm not really sure if there is anything else I should be working on.

Thanks in advance.

if you were streaming your adventure, i would be watching it

jolanar
12-06-2014, 08:30 AM
if you were streaming your adventure, i would be watching it

Haha not sure if you are being sarcastic or not =P.

I'm at high keep now at level 25. There is really only a couple of guards I can handle, and too much downtime for my tastes.

I tried killing Orcs outside, despite them being mostly green thy tend to spawn so fast I get overwhelmed. I somehow managed to feign death with NEGATIVE 4hp to save my ass from an orc medic who thankfully decided to slow me instead of meleeing.

Going to head to Gorge/Runnyeye area and see how I fair there while I take a crack at the quest spawns.

Aaramis
12-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Just started here 2 weeks ago as an Iksar monk as well, coincidentally. For the new lizards, FoB offers amazing tailoring opportunities. The spiderling crypt mentioned already will get your skill to 21 asap, and then at level 6 or 7 you can mass slaughter bonecrawlers in the pit for silks.

Heady kiolas are trivial at low 40ish brewing, and is easy to get to in an hour or 2. Maybe 3 or 4 plat cost total to get there, which is easy to make (hint: decaying skeletons carrying shields are your money makers).

From there, make your own cured silk, and then save up for weapons. I've seen people auctioning their Dalnir / CoM spoils frequently in FoB, so you should be good.

Happy hunting!