PDA

View Full Version : Leveling while making money in Kunark

Viszix
11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I've seen Iksar leveling guides and money-making guides, but what I haven't seen is an Iksar leveling while making money guide. Being a Necro, I need money for spells, so what are some places to make some plat and still get decent experience? They don't necessarily have to be in Kunark, but I'd prefer places where I can still sell and purchase my spells without having to run across three or four zones.

GinnasP99
11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
What level are you currently ? You can get decent cash drops from WW/FM giant forts

jarshale
11-07-2014, 11:21 AM
What level are you currently ? You can get decent cash drops from WW/FM giant forts

This. You can start easily soloing the WW giants around 24 IIRC.

Viszix
11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm currently level 12. Giant fort seems like a good idea, but I'm playing on red. I feel like players would be hanging around waiting to PK people for easy plat. Can tradeskills be a good source of income early on? I was thinking of trying to level up my tailoring to sell some hand-made backpacks.

Raelador
11-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Lol you basically want the most specific guide ever made.

Viszix
11-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Lol you basically want the most specific guide ever made.

I'd be surprised if "How to make plat as an Iksar" was the most specific guide ever made.

webrunner5
11-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Any Place you can make money on Red you are going to be Ganked. Good luck with that idea making plat. :eek:

Niedar
11-07-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm currently level 12. Giant fort seems like a good idea, but I'm playing on red. I feel like players would be hanging around waiting to PK people for easy plat. Can tradeskills be a good source of income early on? I was thinking of trying to level up my tailoring to sell some hand-made backpacks.

No one going to PK you at giant fort on red. Twinks really only hang out at like Unrest and MM and anyone in that area around your level is just going to want to group up to xp anyway.

Esheon
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM

At 12, I think bone chips and burynai armor in Kurns is still your best bet.

Tradeskills take too much money to get started, except maybe tailoring. Farm up silk in the spiderling cave and the pit, and you might be able to sell some raw and cured silk armour. For handmade backpacks, you'll need HQ bear skins, which I don't think you can get in Kunark.

PKing for plat in the WW giant fort wouldn't actually work very well. The high-plat drops there are mostly vendor trash... the giant tunics (60p+), weapons (15p+), and various gems. If you get lucky and snag a forest loop, that can be sold to players.

polishanarchy
11-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, can't help you directly in game since you're on red, but I imagine it holds true there that one of the best ways to make plat as a new player is to get levels. You start getting plat trash drops in 20s, 30s etc. - I'd also recommend WW for this.

Just play triage with the spells you buy and don't buy.

Kastro
11-07-2014, 02:55 PM
levels are the best way... if you just keep killing stuff and selling the drops you will find the plat to buy the spells needed... best bet would be Kurns... might get lucky and get an Iksar Beserker club to sell... plus most players on red are pretty generous to newbies...

mr_jon3s
11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Kunark has some of the best plat farming you can get while lvling.
FoB skeletons with shields that sell for 1pp.
Kurns tower kill the moles in the basement for the chance of icy soloist wand dropping which sells to players for alot. Also iksar cook who drops berserker club.
Loio bracer of the hidden and signet ring both drop here and sell for tons of plat to players.
WW giants drop items that sell for 10-100pp to merchants forest loop which sells for 300pp to merchants or 300-500pp to players. Goblin shrunken earring also drops in the zone which sells to players.
FM has giants with the same loot table and tons of rare spawn cycles that drop great items.
It just keeps going.

Viszix
11-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. The xp bonus on red is great, so I think I'm just going to keep leveling and buy what spells I can. I'll probably try and hit up WW too; the giant fort sounds like a nice place to generate some income.

toolshed
11-07-2014, 04:47 PM
1) Best way to make money on red is to make a halfling druid and sell ports after 29. Easiest and fastest way. If you go this route, make it on a separate account than your necro so your friend can log on and port your necro around.

2) Misty Thicket guards drop a spear that sells for 10pp. Bind at the vendor in hhk and gate back when you are encumbered. I was making 100pp per yellow soloing there.

3) HHK guards drop fine steel + you can vendor AND bank there

4) Once you get high 30s you can start soloing spectres. The ones in oasis have a vendor nearby (gypsy camp) and the scythes sell for 12pp

Only thing you really need on a necro is a Circlet of Shadow and I would work on getting on before Velious comes out. Everything else (harvester, int gear) you can farm solo pretty easily

loramin
11-07-2014, 04:50 PM
levels are the best way... if you just keep killing stuff and selling the drops you will find the plat to buy the spells needed

That. Everquest is heavily weighted towards the higher levels when it comes to making money. For instance, at level 50 you can go kill Seafuries and make 500 plat or more an hour. Before that there's hill giants that can make you maybe 200 plat an hour. Before that you're lucky if you can make 50 plat an hour.

In other words, more levels = way faster plat. But the inverse is not at all true: even with 5k worth of gear you will barely gain XP any faster than someone wearing only what they looted while leveling. So you can waste lots of hours earning plat as a low level, and get almost no benefit in leveling speed, or you can spend all those hours leveling and get a huge increase in your plat-generating speed.

That being said, if you do want to focus on earning money as a lowbie in Kunark anyway, please consider adding any good spots you find to:

http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Treasure_Hunting_Guide

(It only has Old World places currently.)

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Am I mistaken, or is it simply true, that if you level at a normal pace (no paying for power leveling, etc.) you pretty easily make enough plat to keep you in quite decent level-appropriate gear and spells with plenty left over?

I've played and leveled in no rush, and at 56 I have perfectly fine non-raid drop gear, and about 12k in the bank.

People always asking how to make plat, I think they just don't want to spend the time on "the grind" of normal leveling.

Of course, the OP was talking about Red, and who the hell knows how that place works. It's Rura Penthe over there, I hear.

mr_jon3s
11-07-2014, 07:22 PM
On red you power through lvls so fast. Its 50% exp solo and 290% exp in a full group. So you easily outpace skill ups and spell money.

baalzy
11-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Early levels for a caster can be a bit rough if someone doesn't give you pity plat on red. 5pp per spell starting at level 8 is really rough. Level 4 is still around 1pp for a spell. You'd have to specifically farm skeletons carrying the iksar targ shields (1pp each to vendor) to have much luck of being able to buy all of your useful spells per level. You'll definitely have to prioritize. I've never once seen someone looking to buy bone chips, tho someone may respond if you OOC that you have them for sale (to get cab faction I'd assume). Not many necros on the server so there isn't demand for them outside of faction quests.

That said, since group xp is so fast you don't really need to buy too many of your spells. Make sure to have the best pet spell available to you and pick up the others once you're in the 20s and can move over to the giant fort for raw PP drops.

Dis_Still_Mornin
11-07-2014, 08:31 PM
?

Latege
11-07-2014, 08:33 PM
You can farm me some tradeskill stuff, see here: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170047

No one really buys this shit except me and I overpay to help new players out.

Viszix
11-10-2014, 01:58 PM
levels are the best way... if you just keep killing stuff and selling the drops you will find the plat to buy the spells needed... best bet would be Kurns... might get lucky and get an Iksar Beserker club to sell... plus most players on red are pretty generous to newbies...

You called it. I used invisibility vs undead to sneak over to the jester spawn and sure enough there he was holding the Iksar Berserker Club. Ended up selling it to a guild member for a couple hundred plat and some items :D

Velerin
11-10-2014, 02:31 PM
That third spell tier always is a lot of money for newbie casters. 4pp a pop at level 8 is huge but with each tier the price doesn't go up that much and the pp you make from trash goes up quickly. I think this is why a lot of lvl 10ish new casters feel so poor.

Rennol
11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
It's not Kunark but if you're a necro and you need some cash, go to the Gargoyles in OOT. Take the boat and hop off around the seafury island; the haunted island with spectres and gargoyles is south of it and in view from the boat.

The eyes they drop are stackable and sell for 9pp each to vendor. On red you can get about 3 stacks per level while solo.

Eyes are also nice because they aren't cash, so you don't lose it if someone ganks you, they're light, and you can even use it as a pseudo currency... I just carry them around with me - need some plat to buy a spell or two? Sell the eyes to the vendor to cover the cost then buy the spell - no risk.

The downside is there aren't many spawns and sometimes they are greater skeletons (at least they drop bone chips) that are green. Also the island LOS issues are annoying at times.

I recommend being level 20 to do this as they will chew through a L16 pet and resist too often before 20 to fear kite effectively.