PDA

View Full Version : Tips to Save You Some Grief

Ravager
11-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Here are some tips for new players I learned the hard way that might save you some trouble in the future:

Do not levitate over East Freeport buildings to get to the docks. There is a place where you can get stuck and can't get out without a self port or GM intervention.

Places Melee can bind besides cities include North Karana Gypsy Camp, Field of Bone by Kaesora, City of Mist, The Arena, Empty Ruins in Frontier Mountains and anywhere in Greater Faydark.

Do not camp against a corner for the same reason not to fly over Freeport.

Do not use summoned bags for anything you are afraid to lose.

Do not trust levitate if you cannot remember how long ago you cast it, sometimes the timer goes out of sync with the server and when it resyncs it can debuff without warning.

If you are trying to preserve your resurrection timer, it continues to tick down when playing another character on the same account. You must log off that account completely to stop it.

The resurrection timer for a duel is only 7.5 minutes.

Sow Potions will not cast their full duration below level 14 and only last 3 minutes at level 1.

Do not AFK on the boat or after jumping from Sky unless you have an Enduring Breath item equipped.

If you are thirsty, you won't regenerate mana.

Rogues: Sneak makes you invisible to everything you are behind. Do not mistake this as a successful hide. Also, mobs that see invis will see through hide, but not sneak.

Additions from this thread:

Locations of Zone Landmarks List: http://www.trysor.com/afterlife/originallocs.html

Nerfbat
11-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Do not camp against a corner for the same reason not to fly over Freeport.

Even if you don't get stuck doing this, you'll probably have an AFK Ogre or Troll keeping you in the corner regardless. Best 30 mins of my life in CoM until I got a druid to evac me to EJ...

BarackObooma
11-05-2014, 03:02 PM
"Places Melee can bind besides cities include North Karana Gypsy Camp, Field of Bone by Kaesora, City of Mist, The Arena."

Great list I forgot about some of those. You can also add anywhere in Gfay as well. Many of my twinks are bound at the wizard spires so it's easy to get ports, you're close to Felwithe (much easier to find things than Kelethin), you're on the path to head to Lfay (if you're going to Mistmoore) or Butcherblock (if going to Unrest).

Ravager
11-05-2014, 03:06 PM
"Places Melee can bind besides cities include North Karana Gypsy Camp, Field of Bone by Kaesora, City of Mist, The Arena."

Great list I forgot about some of those. You can also add anywhere in Gfay as well. Many of my twinks are bound at the wizard spires so it's easy to get ports, you're close to Felwithe (much easier to find things than Kelethin), you're on the path to head to Lfay (if you're going to Mistmoore) or Butcherblock (if going to Unrest).

Good call, new players might not know it. Added.

Crawdad
11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
If you managed to get stuck/fall/wedge yourself and you can't move, stand still for 30secs (maybe 1min?) and type /rewind. It'll move you back to a recently saved, non-stuck spot you've been at. Doesn't work if you have aggro.

Eunomia
11-05-2014, 04:09 PM
If you managed to get stuck/fall/wedge yourself and you can't move, stand still for 30secs (maybe 1min?) and type /rewind. It'll move you back to a recently saved, non-stuck spot you've been at. Doesn't work if you have aggro.

Spam /rewind and ignore message. Almost always works :)

bulbousaur
11-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Hopefully the rogue sneak being seen by see-invis mobs will be remedied soon.

Crawdad
11-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Spam /rewind and ignore message. Almost always works :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7OnW4XDck !!

BarackObooma
11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
The day before yesterday my (shrank) Ogre Warrior was stuck in the ladder in one of the Unrest pit traps in the basement (I HATE THOSE LADDERS). After spamming /rewind it put me outside on the porch in the yard!

eqravenprince
11-06-2014, 10:14 AM
If you want to keep your summoned bags, duel someone and have them kill you. Then log out, your summoned bags will be on your corpse the next time you log in.

Bboboo
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
You can also bind at number 6 in Frontier Mountains (http://wiki.project1999.com/images/Map_frontiermtns.jpg)

Never had that Levitate problem, you can hold down alt and hover your mouse over buffs to see time remaining.

Do not use summoned bags period.

Some of the most useful commands in the game:
/rewind
/log on
/ignore

Also seems like most people start in Gfay so here's a quick reference Kelethin map.

http://i.imgur.com/ULzBjEx.jpg

Velerin
11-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I've been playing EQ for years and that GF map just simplified that crappy city so well. Thanks!

Bboboo
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YowhNAD.jpg

Ravager
11-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Never had that Levitate problem, you can hold down alt and hover your mouse over buffs to see time remaining.

Doing that resyncs the timer with the server. That's how I discovered the bug. I can't duplicate it, but I've had it happen a few times over the years while trying to fly over Dreadlands. I would be about halfway across the zone, then check the duration of my levitate, it would show a few minutes left on it, then on the server tick debuff and I'd have a corpse run on my hands.

I've also had instances where the boat's levitate wouldn't debuff after getting off of it and I could levitate around the zone indefinitely. I think there's just some screwy client/server issues with levitate.

kaev
11-06-2014, 04:29 PM

And those timers can show 0:42 (for instance) just before the buff poofs without the :classic: 3 ticks of icon flashing to indicate it's going down. AFAICT the buff timer display desync between client and server has to do with logging/crashing out and logging back in while a buff is active, never had it off by more than a tick in other circumstances. Only a really big deal if you are levitating at high enough altitude to fall to your death or invis someplace where being noticed is certain death. I am pretty sure the logging/crash out and log back in thing also covers the two occasions I can recall of invis dropping without the "you feel yourself starting to appear" emote you get ~ 1 tick before it drops. Worst case appears to be client crash or lockup on zoning where the server thinks you'r there and no doubt is couting down your buffs until it finally stops giving you shitty 1018 errors and lets you log back in.

tl;dr
Always refresh Lev before doing anything where an unexpected drop could kill you.
Never trust Navir, er, I mean Invis.

vid
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
I found this randomly one day (and it isn't 100% accurate, fair warning) but this site has all of the important zone locs.

http://www.trysor.com/afterlife/originallocs.html

Ravager
11-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I found this randomly one day (and it isn't 100% accurate, fair warning) but this site has all of the important zone locs.

http://www.trysor.com/afterlife/originallocs.html

This is definitely something I wish I had when I started.

rafaone
11-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Nice and useful post :)