PDA

View Full Version : Which melee should I go with...

hopped
11-05-2014, 02:07 AM
So I have been tinkering around on a mage earning a bit of plat and even if it is harder I am going to probably pick up a melee class here quickly. The thing is I like to be able to solo often enough if needed and I am not sure which melee is most suited to soloing, keep in mind I have like 100pp currently. Thanks in advance for any advice.

webrunner5
11-05-2014, 04:58 AM
Well the best solo Melee is hands down is a Monk. They are pretty cheap at low levels to equip. But some damn big money higher up. Fungi, Haste item, really good weapons etc. But the same goes for most Melee's.

On the Monk I would not worry about the weight thingy until the 30's or more. AC is broken at lower levels on here. But I think it does hurt you above level 45 a lot. SO take you plat and buy the Monk some good weapons or weapon and just use cloth or even Leather till you get some more plat. I would go SK next if you want to solo. Pally and Warrior are really group classes only. Same with a Rogue Good luck.

GinnasP99
11-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Iksar monk can solo pretty well. Especially in areas where you can safely use intimidate.

hopped
11-05-2014, 01:50 PM
I was thinking iksar monk/sk would be a fun route as I have not yet played an iksar. So starting out it would be like a whole new game for me, there seem to be a bunch of monks but not so many sks but either way I will probably try and level one of each for a minute to see what I like. Thanks for the input!

webrunner5
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I was thinking iksar monk/sk would be a fun route as I have not yet played an iksar. So starting out it would be like a whole new game for me, there seem to be a bunch of monks but not so many sks but either way I will probably try and level one of each for a minute to see what I like. Thanks for the input!

Iksar Monk has a 44% XP penalty and Iksar SK has a 68% XP penalty. The Monk can kill a LOT faster so the gap is a lot bigger than it looks like. I am waiting for Velious to level my SK. The penalty if you die, which you do a lot on here, is just a ball buster on one without a good rez. Both are great classes but SK's don't get FD til level 30 and that takes a LONG time to get on a SK.

Bboboo
11-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Also don't let the 44% penalty scare you from being an Iksar Monk (or 68% being an Iksar SK). Soon enough the highest possible exp penalty will be 20% come Velious and honestly a hybrid exp penalty isn't all that bad 1-50. Solo you usually get 1% a blue so it's only about 100 kills to level.

Swish
11-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Also don't let the 44% penalty scare you from being an Iksar Monk (or 68% being an Iksar SK). Soon enough the highest possible exp penalty will be 20% come Velious and honestly a hybrid exp penalty isn't all that bad 1-50. Solo you usually get 1% a blue so it's only about 100 kills to level.

Hybrid penalties don't just stop at Velious launch though, it's patched in later iirc :/

Fanguru
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Simply put, monk is 2nd best melee dps. SK is worst melee dps.
Monk is easy and fun to play.
SK can be tiresome.

Monk tanks ok with bad aggro, SK tanks well and fantastic aggro.

Monk epic is easy. SK epic is the worst.

Both are great pullers with distinct advantages.

Ravager
11-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Monk is the best for soloing and cheap to gear. Get a Wu's staff and that will hold you over until 50 if you had to, but I'm sure you'll get better upgrades along the way. Put your points into STA and stack HP for soloing as well as for pulling when you group.

Iksar is the better monk for the AC and Regen and if you don't care how dumb they look, the perfect choice if you plan to solo a lot. Being hated everywhere gives you soloing opportunities in every zone since you don't have to worry about faction except in your home town. Humans don't look stupid though and are the better choice if you have style.