PDA

View Full Version : Checking it out

archaeous
11-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Long term player here. Started in 1999 or 2000. Played in a few small guilds till our entire lowbie guild left for daoc. Came back to EQ got in an endgame raiding type guild in early 2002. Did raidleading after a time through our completion of GoD. Then was a bit more casual. Tried EQ2 didn't like it much and kept playing off and on with the offs becoming much longer than the ons in the past few years. Haven't liked how the game feels in quite some time and really just play for the people (same guild is still together with a good number of the same people since 2002)

Wanted to give this a shot as running through a lot of the old kurnark zones brought back a lot of really good memories and being able to look at the logs I kept from the time too were great! Had months and months of logs from 2002-2003

Velious was by far my favorite expansion and I think this is my best bet for capturing that feeling as the standard progression servers progress way too fast.

Some questions however. I know certain classes always had it easy grouping and leveling up, tanks while needed were always heavily gear dependent. Is there a good balance of twinked out 2nd 3rd chars and new players still? And how patient are people with relearning mechanics (sk aggro generation has changed significantly and not sure I remember all the tricks)

archaeous
11-04-2014, 07:43 PM
by the way no idea if I know anyone from here. This is Grakdrak Troll SK from Tholuxe Paells.

Was in Seeking Redemption -> Alliance of The Griffon -> Eternal Sovereign where I still am after... 12 years

webrunner5
11-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Hell I have 6 or 7 Twinked out toons on here. Once you hit 60 on a toon not a lot more to do with it for me. This server is a constant learning curve. Every Parch has another bunch of nerfs so some classes I played years ago on here I just gave up playing them. Mage comes to mind first.

The only way you get good at a class is to play the hell out of it and learn from your mistakes and look at Guides on Wiki or the Web how to play them well. Just pick one toon and get it up to 60 if you can. Having no Plat sucks ass on here and you will never have any plat playing 5 alts at levels 20. You need to have a high end toon to farm or win rolls on good loot to use or sell. This game sucks having a Melee toon with a Orc Pick trust me. Welcome aboard. :D

Estu
11-05-2014, 10:39 AM
There are definitely new players around but most low levels you'll see running around are probably going to be someone's alt. Still, people are very happy to help newbies, so if you really want to play a SK, play an SK - you can definitely make it work. People won't get upset if you're not well-geared on your first character.

randomhero401
11-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I remember you from TP. I played Philis a dwf warrior and killak a hlf rogue. I was in forsaken circle, crusaders valorous and a few others.

Rararboker
11-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Spending time in low lvl zones tells me there is plenty of new players joining all the time. But there is always twinks around to make low lvl groups run that much faster and a lot of gear is so cheap now that it is super affordable for new players. Green jade broadsword for 100-200p?

But yeah, melee pretty gear dependent.

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
If you led raids around the GoD era, you are set up for the raid scene here. I think people thought you were asking newb questions. I think you are asking whether this server is worth re-investing some of that good ol' eq time.

I would argue the answer is -- fortunately or unfortunately, let each man answer someday before God -- yes.

If you want casual, make a class to either solo or be able to find groups, and you will always be able to find some action. As another noted, there are a fair amount of twinked alts you will run up against, so just enjoy the ride. Go get a few levels then do Befallen.

If you want serious, that could be 10x worse, but is tolerable here, it seems to me. Several high end guilds chewing on these 15 year old end-game pixels, no kidding.

Haxx and boxing are policed, so shenanigans is kept to a minimum. Enjoy.

archaeous
11-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I doubt I will go crazy serious here. I don't have the time, and the fun groups, running around without maps and achievements to direct your every step. Sure I had fun in NToV and Planes raids but the nostalgia to me only goes so far. Some of my best memories were in the group game before I started getting all serious.