PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Classic EQ, Please advise

robisatsea
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for checking out the post. I guess my first question is, Am i to late to join the project 1999 movement? If not, what race and deity will help me find groups quickly as a low level player?
Thanks. :)

wmd221
11-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Definitely not, I just joined up last night and the community is really something else here. Its very akin to the live EQ experience during this kunark/velious era but people are extremely helpful and friendly.

My recommendation would be to make your way to the freeport area, particularly EC if you can. I picked up a few stacks of Bonechips while I was leveling and somebody tricked me into selling them for way more than they were worth just to help me out and I've met some really cool people along the way, only being level 8. But you can find groups in the area for orc camps, people will stop to buff you when they see you, etc. I absolutely recommend it.

I can't really help you with race/class choices particularly but if you get ingame you're welcome to message me if you want a friend, I'm always down to meet new people! My ign is Deepbreaths

username17
11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the server! You're not late at all. We have new people join all the time.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
^ that guide may help answer any questions you have and has information on picking a race/class.

The short answer is play the race/class you want.

Finding groups is more about location than your class. Granted the holy trinity (healer, tank, crowd control) will always be in demand but you should be able to find a group as any class.
The only specific advise I have is that if you choose Necromancer for your 1st character (a common choice among new players) you should pick Iksar.
It's not just the Regen and awesome looks. But Iksars can get a ton of Bone chips from fighting in the Field of Bone and then Kurns tower. Those sell well to players in EC.

Phased
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Play whatever you want is definitely true. But what the newbie wiki entry doesn't mental is that racial and class penalties are multiplicative so 40% SK + 20% iksar/troll = 68% exp penalty. I would not recommend this path as your first character.

If you want groups quickly you can't go wrong with cleric or enchanter as your first characters.

robisatsea
11-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I just wanted to say thank you so much for the quick reply. My copy of titanium will be here in a few days and I have no doubt that this is the community of gamers I've been seeking for several years now. I really look forward to playing with you guys.

webrunner5
11-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Play what ever class you want and maybe familiar with. It is a long ways to level 60 so you sure don't want to play a class you sort of don't like. The only recommendation I would suggest is for you to figure out if you mostly want to group or solo or both.

Some classes really can't solo at all and some classes on here are not much welcomed a lot in groups and some classes are good at both. It depends on your life style, and play style. But you can have alts so if say you want to play a Rogue which is pretty much a group class and can't find a group play say your alt Necro that is great at solo but not so much wanted in groups a lot. Welcome Aboard. It is a nice server but a hard one at times.

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Just remember: you have to learn to travel where the action is. This is not like newer games where you easily instantly travel anywhere. You will have to learn to run through zones without dying. Wizards and druids can port you, but you will always still have to run and travel.

And remember, when running from ec to highpass, "hug the walls"