PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time veteran starting again, question.

wmd221
11-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Long story short I was a competitive raider during the Luclin / PoP era ( one of many that quit during GoD ) and I've had several 3-4 months stints on live in the past year or two, so I'm fairly familiar with the game ( a lot of the intimate old world knowledge is probably forgotten but I should picks things back up fairly quickly.

Typically I enjoy playing a Rogue but I'm not necessarily looking forward to how sub-par the performance will be starting from scratch in this type of environment, or am I being too pessimistic? I was thinking it may have been a better decision to roll something more solo friendly and less gear dependent like a Mage or Necro so I can level / farm for a bit to create a base to begin my Rogue with. Is that considered reasonable, necessary, or a waste of time?

I'm typically a very social player who would be grouped 100% of the time if it were possible but alas that isn't always the case.

Any feedback is appreciated and if anybody as always I am looking to meet new people, so if you just wanna say hi thats cool too!

mr_jon3s
11-03-2014, 12:15 AM
If you want a character most groups need. Go cleric, enchanter, or shaman. Cleric need a group 100% of the time but don't make much money. Enchanters and Shamans are great soloers and can almost always find groups.

Estu
11-03-2014, 12:19 AM
A rogue is a perfectly fine choice. People are not going to have conniptions about you being poorly geared if it's your first character - generally speaking people are very happy to help newbies level up and are not snooty about it. Rogues are always welcome in groups because they are the best DPS in the game (granted, if you're poorly geared, you're not as good DPS, though still certainly worth having) and don't carry experience penalties. In the 40s and 50s, you start getting a lot of money just from stuff dropping while you're EXPing, and you'll be able to gear yourself up. Even before then, if you're desparate for some cheap gear, there are ways to farm up a couple hundred plat on your own relatively easily, even as a weak solo class like a rogue. There are lots of nice items on sale in EC for cheap.

wmd221
11-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the input guys, especially you Estu as you've taken the time to respond to both of my threads. I've made a couple threads on the forums here and on the P99 subreddit as well and I've gotten reasonably fast and well thought out responses on all of them and thats pretty awesome.

I like groups because I'm a social person, but I don't necessarily want to have to tailor my entire playstyle around it, if that makes sense. That is just a gameplay preference, I'm never been a big fan of playing casters in any game :P But the suggestion is certainly valid.

polishanarchy
11-03-2014, 04:45 AM
If you enjoy playing a rogue, play a rogue.

I guess I understand the concept behind what you're asking - a lot of people ask the same question. But this game is really not so demanding that you will suffer for picking the class you prefer to play. I recently took a break for a few months and came back to find everything the same, with no greater pressures placed on me. You won't find that in many other games. Take advantage of it! Play the class you love and you won't regret it.

username17
11-03-2014, 04:57 AM
I'd suggest go Rogue from the start. It's totally worth it.
I started here as a Barb Rogue in 2010. I ran to freeport at level 1, got a bind, and never looked back.

Be prepared for a ton of SoW requests. Barbarian rogues look like shamans when they are young and untwinked (I had full banded and a Gloom poon for so long). Especially with a spear for backstabbing.

Buriedpast
11-03-2014, 05:57 AM
So very true with the sows.

webrunner5
11-03-2014, 06:00 AM
I have played this game from the start and the original EQ from 2000. I have never asked someone what gear they have to join a group. I think VERY few people on here do either. Now I know the Rogue Epic maybe one that is asked about, but most groups are more than happy to welcome a Rogue into the group for some damn good DPS either way. Welcome aboard. :cool:

username17
11-03-2014, 06:04 AM
I've seen a few comments on rogues not having their epics while leveling alts. But it was never anything harsh. The best line I've seen was someone suggesting the rogue should petition since he doesn't have his epic. Because of course all rogues get their epics at level 1 now.

wmd221
11-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the input and warm welcomes guys, I'm currently level 8 and chugging along nicely. I've met some really cool and helpful people along the way and I'm having a blast, I'm glad I stuck to my guns in the end.