PDA

View Full Version : Drugstore cold remedies

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 07:15 AM
I have a bad cold and it's really kicking my ass. I haven't had more than a couple of naps the past 3 days because of severe coughing (my ribs actually hurt), sneezing, fatigue, and headache from HELL. The usual stuff I have in the medicine cabinet is not working at all. (Herbal cough drops, Nyquil cough syrup, and Excedrin for pain.)

I usually never need more than what I have on hand and Google isn't being very helpful.

I'll probably go to the doctor in a couple days if there isn't any improvement but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for any other drugstore meds that might alleviate the symptoms a little so I can finally get some decent rest? Definitely only want to hear about stuff you've tried that actually helped you.

Please help if you can. I'm exhausted. :(

Kimmie
11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
ebola

Grubbz
11-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Are you sure you don't have the flu? The common cold and the flu share the same symptoms but the flu will literally make you feel like your dying, its 10x worse then a common cold and medicine really doesn't help at all, you just gotta power threw.

myriverse
11-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Only thing any of the medicines do is relieve the symptoms. It's up to your body to fight the virus.

Fever, headache, and achiness usually mean flu (not always though).

If it's been longer than a week, consider seeing a doctor.

Jenithia
11-02-2014, 09:19 AM
At this point, just try to drink lots of water to flush whatever ickies you have out, take anything with Guaifenesin, treat yourself to an extra long hot shower or bath to help get that mist into your lungs to open things up, and get into some comfy PJs. You may just have to power through it.

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 12:28 PM
I managed to actually fall asleep for like 4 whole hours soon after I posted. It's amazing how much that little bit helped. Thanks for replies. Yeah, you're probably right about it being the flu.

Thankfully not ebola. :D I couldn't even handle those stomach symptoms on top of all this...

Clark
11-02-2014, 12:37 PM
At this point, just try to drink lots of water to flush whatever ickies you have out, treat yourself to an extra long hot shower

Barkingturtle
11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
RIP in peace, Sidelle.

FoxxHound
11-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Honestly I have the worst habbits when it comes to getting sick. I generally drink a gallon of Orange Juice, take tons of echinacea, airborne, and zinc. After all that to sleep I generally take about 5-7 sleep aid pills, take a hot shower, and lay down to either nice music or something comforting on T.V. Then I do my best to sleep as long as possible, and if that means getting up to slam more sleep aid. I do it~

sox7d
11-02-2014, 04:30 PM
go to a church and ask for cure disease llololollollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllol olllllloloooooool

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 05:14 PM
go to a church and ask for cure disease llololollollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllol olllllloloooooool
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg

Vyal
11-02-2014, 07:16 PM
I have a bad cold and it's really kicking my ass. I haven't had more than a couple of naps the past 3 days because of severe coughing (my ribs actually hurt), sneezing, fatigue, and headache from HELL. The usual stuff I have in the medicine cabinet is not working at all. (Herbal cough drops, Nyquil cough syrup, and Excedrin for pain.)

I usually never need more than what I have on hand and Google isn't being very helpful.

I'll probably go to the doctor in a couple days if there isn't any improvement but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for any other drugstore meds that might alleviate the symptoms a little so I can finally get some decent rest? Definitely only want to hear about stuff you've tried that actually helped you.

Please help if you can. I'm exhausted. :(

Get the highest proof "cinnamon fire" bourbon you can afford.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/099/9/b/fireball_whisky_by_everythingphotos-d3dmihn.jpg
Go to the wine & spirits, they have good JB version...

Just sip it and it' will clear you right up - instantly.
Not joking this stuff works as the cure for the cold, stuffy nose w/e.

jarshale
11-02-2014, 10:37 PM
marijuana

beat me to it

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Get the highest proof "cinnamon fire" bourbon you can afford.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/099/9/b/fireball_whisky_by_everythingphotos-d3dmihn.jpg
Go to the wine & spirits, they have good JB version...

Just sip it and it' will clear you right up - instantly.
Not joking this stuff works as the cure for the cold, stuffy nose w/e.
I like where this thread ended up. Lol

Goddamn Pennsylvania though. Liquor stores not open Sundays and you can't buy booze in grocery stores like you can in places like CA.

Might go pick some up tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

quido
11-02-2014, 10:50 PM
http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/13349496?wid=410&hei=410

Mucinex Max Strength DM - best medicine for your chest

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Wouldn't say no to a pot brownie to relax and sleep but I definitely would kill myself trying to breathe in a bong hit, even with ice cubes. :( Took a hit off my ex's vape earlier and couldn't even handle that with this horrible congestion and cough.

Oh well. Lost track of my pot smoking friends a long time ago anyway, so no hook-up likely in any case.

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 11:05 PM

The active ingredients in this are in the cough syrup I have. Not helping much yet but I'm still taking it anyway.

quido
11-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Cough syrup has these ingredients at considerably lower dosages and the effects aren't lasting. Mucinex is an extended-release tablet with extremely high dosages. I was first turned onto the product by a pharmacist and since have never looked back. When it comes to a chest cold, there is really nothing better, except maybe some dope to knock your ass out.

quido
11-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Mucinex is really really worth the cost. Trust me.

Sidelle
11-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Ok, I'll give it a try then. The drugstore is across the parking lot from the liquor store anyway. Thank you. :)

2pacalypse
11-03-2014, 09:23 PM
water & calories

Sidelle
11-04-2014, 02:21 AM

You were right. Mucinex really helped relieve the severity of the respiratory symptoms. I've been on it for a full day now and I'm breathing much better, which helped me catch up on some sleep. Overall, much improvement. Thanks again.

quido
11-04-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm glad it helped.

Thulack
11-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Can't believe i'm saying this but Jeremy and root have the best answers. Mucinex has worked wonders for me since i started using it for colds 2 years ago. And well the weed just keeps you from actually feeling sick :)

Greegon
11-04-2014, 02:16 PM
try cold eze when you first get that tingle in your throat.. maybe placebo effect but sometimes when i do it right the cold will literally last me like 2-3 days

obviously on top of this sleep/lounge as much as possible