PDA

View Full Version : Making alts with zero twinking. join me!

Susvain2
10-28-2014, 03:31 PM
i've been wanting to do this forever. I think it's because i never got to play on a fresh, brand new EQ server. I've never been close to day 1 or playing for expansions. I always wanted to do it, i enjoyed leveling here as a noob but then by lvl 4 someone hands you a 12/24 weapon and you just can't refuse

so here i am now, i started a dwarf warrior thats lvl 5 now and im doing 0 twinking. Fun as hell so far, pst me in game on Shydagger if you wanna join up, i think if i get some people we'll make it a leveling guild. We will be sure to hit up all the random camps and obscure dungeons. We'll dungeon crawl level appropriate stuff for epic rewards. I think itll be alotta fun

Susvain2
10-28-2014, 03:32 PM
I tried this once a year ago, i did an iksar warrior but i gave him a fine steel weapon. It didn't work out, once you give your toon anything its only a matter of time. Join up with me and do random noobie quests! No rush to hit 60, lets see parts of the game you never did

Dunes
10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
I like it!

I may give this a try and shoot you a tell later. May go Barbarian Shaman like the first toon I rolled up in EQ (Live). Good times!

Susvain2
10-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Barbarian shaman would be awesome

Susvain2
10-28-2014, 03:42 PM
places i want to hit before i leave faydwer
-bbm chessboard
-random bbm goblin camps
- steamfont minotaurs
- crushbone throne room
- nybright sisters
- gypsies? or bandits? in gfay

Samoht Farstrider
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I have 4 characters in their low 20's and have not twinked a single one. All four different starting areas too. I just do the quest and save all the sellable stuff (silk, pelts, etc) to players. I love the newbie part of the game up until the 20's. Don't have to worry about camps & raids disputes.

Velerin
10-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I made a shammy to do the same thing. No twinking at all. Then around level 12 I decided to skill up blackmithing to make banded for myself and make money. Then I bought a backpack of sheet metal to give my shammy..that's all the twinking I'll do I said..
Then I hit ~16 and just gave him a GFG, fbss, iksar bp and called it a day.

Dezik
10-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Let me know if you are still needing people to do this. I could be interested.

Susvain2
10-28-2014, 06:17 PM
I made a shammy to do the same thing. No twinking at all. Then around level 12 I decided to skill up blackmithing to make banded for myself and make money. Then I bought a backpack of sheet metal to give my shammy..that's all the twinking I'll do I said..
Then I hit ~16 and just gave him a GFG, fbss, iksar bp and called it a day.

making banded armor isnt twinking,especially if you crafted it yourself. I wanna do that and go camped some nameds for some small upgrades. Make it interesting.

and yes we need more. we always need more. im on Shydagger now my lvl 5 war doing some akkanon, bbm quests

webrunner5
10-29-2014, 08:20 AM
making banded armor isn't twinking,especially if you crafted it yourself. I wanna do that and go camped some nameds for some small upgrades. Make it interesting.

Very true I believe also. Anything you craft or loot solo or win a roll in a group I think is fine.

My son and I tried doing that a year or so ago and we just gave up doing it in about a month. Having a Tank even with a Fine Steel weapon pretty much sucks compared to a Twink weapon. It got old fast dying a lot. But I still have itch once in awhile to do a solo class that way. :p

Jimjam
10-29-2014, 08:34 AM
If your team has melees Iksar Berserker Club is a item you can camp in a decent xp zone (Kurn's Tower)

Bloodforge Hammer is a quest you can do at a very low level for a 13/50 2 hander.

Polished granite tomahawk is okay too.

I used Brazen Bras Kilij for a while.

If you are doing no twinking, depending on what you are fighting, you end up with loads of unspent plat in the bank.

When I did my warrior I bought a full set of the store bought plate and combine weapons at one point! Its not as expensive as you'd think as the NPC sell back is close to what you buy them for.

Crafted armor you can easily quest by your thirties in groups.

If you are willing to help out higher levels you can pick up a Scimitar of Ykesha from Kithicor forest and a Trochilic's Skean from Steamfont.

If not you can get obsidian shards in a group in SolA.

Gearing a warrior through quests/loots as you level is really good fun, especially if you have a regular group to help you out.

If someone gives you an awesome item don't be rude and refuse it. Instead explain what you are doing with your character and say you will pass on the handmedown to the first worthy newb you find while grouping.

Here is a quest for an item with a reasonable ratio for a non twink low level http://wiki.project1999.com/Red_V_Clockwork

Susvain2
10-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah I want to get get everything through drops, quests or trade skills. I don't know how I feel about buying items from players, because I don't like the idea of getting a green jade broadsword for 50pp. The economy's messed up here.

Susvain2
10-29-2014, 09:14 AM
I've been doin that bull hammer quest but the faction sucks, I've done the pre quest a handful of times and can't get red v quest yet

Susvain2
10-29-2014, 10:10 AM
ill be on all day. whos gonna start playing?? pst shydagger !!

jcarbone
10-29-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm super into this! Although I'm a human, id love to meet up with people that aren't twinked. I just started this game today!

PST to Rhythmix!

Philipangoo
10-30-2014, 01:14 AM
I like this idea alot. Gonna run a Human Monk, I leveled a Human Monk legit on Red until about lvl 17 when someone gave me an essence of Dol completely changed my life hahaha.

Cosgrovious
10-30-2014, 05:26 AM
I've just returned to EQ after many years, couldn't twink if I wanted to, and would love to get a regular/semi regular group going like the old days. I'm more than happy to make a new character for a needed role.

What time zone are you in ? I'm in the UK.

Cosgrovious
10-30-2014, 08:21 AM
I've just started on p99 after many years away from EQ. I'm looking for a regular group of people to play with, just like the good old days. I'm more than happy to create a new character to fit into a role your group needs, I'm not invested in a character yet.

Oh and what time zone are you playing in ? I'm in the UK so GMT/CET.

(sorry if this ends up as a double post, I already did a reply but it never showed up and my history says 0 post)

Dunes
10-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Im still interested, but by God, life keeps getting in the way :( I haven't even had a chance to roll him up yet. My personal inclination is to not worry about min-max and rather play something I enjoy and will work well with others in the group.

Looks like this Sunday may be my first available day to get back on. Hope to see you then!

jcarbone
10-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Looking forward to finding you in game and joining your guild,

me and my bro just started up recently!

Hron
11-01-2014, 06:07 PM
I'd be interested in that. I have a personal challenge I wanted to try with seeing how far I could get with a naked mage and wouldn't gladly join you guys with your hard mode approach to playing p1999.

Name is Jaquelyne, was at 9 and found her relatively naked but I didn't know if I I had used anything previously, so i rerolled her and am playing her up atm.

Enjoying the first level punch-out game, though we'll see how it goes.

Philipangoo
11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
How do you guys feel about 5ac/55hp rings ? The only stipulation is you have to buy the mats or save up 250pp the old style way. They were definitely crafted and popular and available low level before people were raiding.

My monk is lvl 11 now, and it gets harder and harder with each level lol. Add me Monkeykingz.

Desomeer
11-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I would love to join you guys in this endeavor. I played on project 99 a while back, but it seemed everyone expected you to be twinked to get into a group (at least that was my impression) and I am no fan of twinking, pl'ing, or that sort of playstyle. I will get in contact with you in game if I can tonight when I get off of work. Not sure what I'll start up but I'll let you know :)

Thanks for starting this up, btw :)

utenan
11-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun to me - this is what I miss about EQ, actually going out and obtaining your gear, especially in classic era content where its harder / more rewarding to loot stuff and get upgrades. I have a 12 ranger atm that I'm leveling non twinked and would love to join your guild - i'll try and contact ya some time

ukaking
11-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't mind doing this either. Looked for someone on last night but didn't see anyone.

Ravager
11-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I was doing this before it was cool.

Dezik
11-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Is the guild a remake of "talisman" from the to are server on live?

Loadsamoney
11-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm game. I'll make a Bard and see how long I can survive on Rusty Short Sword and Cloth Armor.

Or maybe a Paladin.

Ravager
11-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm game. I'll make a Bard and see how long I can survive on Rusty Short Sword and Cloth Armor.

Or maybe a Paladin.

Bard can make it to 60 with a rusty short sword and cloth armor.

Loadsamoney
11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Bard can make it to 60 with a rusty short sword and cloth armor.

Then I'll make a Paladin and see how far I can make it without handouts.

ukaking
11-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Just logged in and didnt see anyone in the guild on yet.

Loadsamoney
11-05-2014, 09:34 PM
I will be on all day on Shydagger. I just petitioned to create our guild. <Talisman>

Meh, I would've come up with something a little more humorous, or at least relevant to our aims.

<Zero Funding>, for example, I think would make a good name. Or <Broke> or <Hobo> or <Welfare>.

robisatsea
11-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Wait for me! My copy should be in the mail tomorrow and I want to play a dwarf cleric.

ukaking
11-06-2014, 10:16 PM
When is the guild mostly on? Havent seen anyone on in my searches

BarackObooma
11-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Depending on how anti-twink, classic experience you want to get, I'd recommend only buying/selling from other guild members.

If you want crafted items, someone in your guild should do it. Assign one person to blacksmithing, one to tailoring, one to jewelcrafting, etc.

Stuff like +55 hp rings were not standard fare among new players.

I would even go so far as to say you can't buy vendor items that someone else vendored. If it's the vendor's regularly stocked items, then it's okay.

Wear only what you get as drops or craft or trade within the guild.

mowings1
11-07-2014, 03:58 AM
I'm all for it! This is a really fun idea that I could get into. I'm going to put some thought into what class I want to roll!

mowings1
11-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Okay I went with a half elf named Katriana. I'm starting freeport. hope to see you guys on!

Boraz_n_Carebear
11-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I am down to get in on this, returning player from original EverQuest, going to roll a Human Monk. Getting the game up and running as we speak, will give name once I get him created!

Dimesonly
11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I am new as well I am currently a lvl 8 Enchanter farming stuff in EC. Virgl is my in game name so just shoot me a tell if you want to group!

mickey182
11-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Can we get a list of guild officers, or a recruiting thread in the guild chat? Would make it easier to find everyone and get involved.

quido
11-09-2014, 01:22 AM
should just do this on red

Clark
11-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Never Red

http://unitedgangs.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/r60s.jpg

lol guy with a pimp cane

TalismanGuild
11-09-2014, 02:42 AM
it has begun

Aandolaf
11-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Currently lvl 11 shadowknight looking to join, in the Qeynos area atm though, names Maxadonn

Emphase
11-09-2014, 10:32 PM
anyone want to start fresh tonight?

mickey182
11-10-2014, 01:06 AM
anyone want to start fresh tonight?

I'm available for that. Whatcha wanting to do?

TalismanGuild
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170778

Emphase
11-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Fell asleep before i seen your reply. OP should compile a list in the first post of everyone's names and classes, so we can all get together!

mickey182
11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Fell asleep before i seen your reply. OP should compile a list in the first post of everyone's names and classes, so we can all get together!

Well lemme know when (and what) you start and I'll log on something complimentary.

BulletCatcher
11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Ohhyy!!! More adventurers to join Talisman. Shydagger you are a crafty dwarf. I did not know you had included me into this, what appears to be, a fine establishment of fellow Norrathians. We must continue to squash the monsters of Norrath for Gold and Glory.

/e orders Ale all around!!

"FOR GOLD AND GLORY!! HUZZAH!!"

Philipangoo
11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Currently lvl 11 shadowknight looking to join, in the Qeynos area atm though, names Maxadonn

Hahahha Maxadon you are a legend on Red with Heroes of Norrath.

DarkwingDuck
11-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Guys where you at, I have a few toons around 11-16
Lemme know I'm lfg

Greacenthe

BulletCatcher
11-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Gotta get in the guild. I need some company out there. Those Orcs are tough, but easily killable when working together.

robisatsea
11-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Can someone please give me a guild invite now that I'm up and running? Fabel, wood elf druid. Thanks.

evan1612
11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I just started up an ogre shadowknight earlier today, probably gonna get a few levels in before my days over too. Interesting idea for a guild, who are the officers that I can send a tell to talk about an invite?

Flintt
11-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Interested in Joining up as well not sure if I should post here or in the Guild recruitment thread. Just started a Woodelf ranger named Flintz would like an invitation to the guild and hopefully a static.

Flintt
11-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Looking to roll new toons today or tomorrow if anyone is interested

Attila the Fun
11-12-2014, 11:04 PM
So you are Zilow! Fun times in Unrest with you wanting to be a tank and trying to out-aggro people!

Hailto
11-13-2014, 03:30 AM
I like this idea but im weirded out grouping with a dude who posts pics of his flacid chode on eq forums.

DarkwingDuck
11-13-2014, 05:34 AM
I'll have a look for these guys, my wiz is lvl 13.. But he's got some items :(
I've been playin with a handful of other newer players as well

Greacenthe

elflord
11-13-2014, 11:52 AM
I just started last night. Got my dwarf warrior to a mighty 3 before I had to call it a night. Some guy was nice enough to group and show me around a bit. So far I'm loving it. Too bad the wife is a graphics snob now. :) She likes the pretty mmo(s). Meh, give me depth and a good community any day.

Hawkspar [dwarf warrior]

Woulf
11-14-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm brand new to P1999, but this sounds like what I want.

I want to enjoy the journey with Challenge and not constantly be trying to get there as fast as I can.

DarkwingDuck
11-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey guys
Lvl 2 cleric, in misty thicket

Foolof
Lookin for guild, friends

TalismanGuild
11-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Currently fighting in Kurns Tower! come out and join the fun!!

TalismanGuild
11-22-2014, 10:44 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3yI9F4YWe0-31vym_tePZVeSfWffkXmpxDoYD6EAu5AHktkTGDg

Just added a few new faces and always looking for more!

Heavydrop
11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I've wanted to do something similar to this for a long time.
Play a character and only use what gear he earns by grouping or soloing with other non-twinks.
No buying anything from other players (with the exception of some +stat rings or such)
Use only what you get.
EQ in hard mode....
Someday I might find people willing to do the same

TalismanGuild
11-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Play a character and only use what gear he earns by grouping or soloing with other non-twinks.
No buying anything from other players (with the exception of some +stat rings or such)
Use only what you get.
EQ in hard mode....

If this is you then come join Talisman!

Trelaboon
11-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Been on server since day one and this is something i've wanted to do for a while! I'm making a new character as we speak (probably Bard, but possibly Paladin or Druid) I will definitely be looking you people up

BarackObooma
11-28-2014, 09:27 PM
I just did this the day before yesterday except I made chars on red. I wanted to see what it'd be like and to ensure I couldn't twink myself since I had no toons or know who anyone is on red.

It's been challenging but fun. I got a Druid to 8 and a Mage to 9 and have not been attacked yet. Was so weird going into EC and being the only person there!

It is kind of like a post apocalyptic blue server. You approach people very cautiously and feel out their intentions. Everyone I've bumped into has been really nice.

I figured red would be a real crappy place to play with a bunch of twinks wtfpwnbbqsaucing everyone. I guess if you stay out of the major leveling spots (crushbone/unrest/MM) you don't have to worry about it as much.

HallyVee
12-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Use only what you get.
EQ in hard mode....

Judging by the size of this thread, it seems we have! I should have expected to find other of similar mind sets in this corner of the gaming world.

Hasora is 10 now, zero twinking, vendor gear only, etc. Also making paladin and warrior.

Buellen
12-28-2014, 04:29 AM
This reminds me of my old guild on eqmac. now if you can only stay in orig eq till you guys kill nag fen or lady vox to open kunark.

Anyhow going to creat new toon prob a ranger and see if can join you all.

Chubba
12-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Currently have a lvl 8 Iksar Shaman going, no twinking at all and I'm not accepting gifts (eg: Wraithbone hammer). Right now working through the Skull quests in cab to get me a 6dmg 24 delay +3 wis item! Name is Kyahsm

Susvain2
12-28-2014, 09:41 AM
sorry guys, this guild died because I play on red mostly now.

Red is just alot funner and better as far as the raid scene goes.

This idea on red would be hard but it could be done and be fun. REGARDLESS everyone who posted on this thread should come to red

Susvain2
12-28-2014, 09:42 AM
btw i made it to level 14 and in kurns tower lol.

Jimjam
12-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Yeah, the raid scene is hell on blue at 14 ;).

Susvain2
12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
lol!!! I got a couple 60s too

Pipkin
12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
I would love to start a new toon (something i've never played before). my main is a 51 ranger maxed on skills (mostly) any suggestions?

mickey182
12-28-2014, 08:26 PM
I would love to start a new toon (something i've never played before). my main is a 51 ranger maxed on skills (mostly) any suggestions?

I'd duo with ya but my play hours aren't popular.

Aaramis
12-28-2014, 08:26 PM
I have a 16 Druid named Tanien in the Gfay area. Completely untwinked, but after farming the Nybright sisters I might as well be :p That camp is silly money.

Anyways, I've tackled CB throne room, Nybright sisters, and BB chessboard already. Might visit Unrest before 19 and then after that, anything's game (via teleports). Will probably end up on the mainland in the Karanas in the near future, playing with animal charms.

Pipkin
12-28-2014, 08:36 PM
mickey let me know when, i can only play nights from about 9:30 on (mountain time) i'm thinking of a cleric maybe.

mickey182
12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
mickey let me know when, i can only play nights from about 9:30 on (mountain time) i'm thinking of a cleric maybe.

Well I usually don't log on much before 10-11pm mst, sometimes a bit later. Lifelong graveyard employment combined with nocturnal personality. If you're on that late I'm happy to roll whatever.

Obviously effective duos with a cleric would be what, enc, mag, bar, war/sk. None give access to travel, though Bard at least can sow song. Mag or war/sk lack mana regen. War/sk, and somewhat bard, are a bit equipment gimped. Enc lacks tanking until charm, and then is situational. So plusses and minuses all around.

There's also the theme thing...cle/pal undead hunters. Gimped with anything other than undead, but very effective there.

If we find a 3rd on that late and interested the uber trio, imo, is probably Dru/Enc/Mag. Always wanted to static that awesomeness, especially when no-twink due to summons and tradeskills.

For evil side I doubt we could beat ikky mon/sha, though it's an overdone duo (with good reason). Either nec or sk make a great 3rd with that pair.

Thoughts?

Chubba
12-29-2014, 03:07 AM
I am often on during off-peak so I am more than likely on when you guys are. Lvl 9 Iksar Shaman atm.

Pipkin
12-30-2014, 12:20 AM
i started a half elf bard in gfay last night and i'm almost to lvl 3, i'll be on tonight. send me a tell (kasandi)

SamwiseRed
12-30-2014, 12:30 AM
doesnt everyone who doesnt rmt start here untwinked?

Buellen
12-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Hello all

If someone want to reform the guild I am interested. I started a new ranger out of qeynos. Name: Glunier level 5 soon to be 6.

Buellen
12-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Hello

Samwise true , but most quickly are lured to the better weapons and gear from kunark and soon veliuos.

Some folks want to try out the game without all the mess. I was in a similar style guild on eqmac and it was a lot of fun.

phoenix182
12-30-2014, 01:27 AM
i started a half elf bard in gfay last night and i'm almost to lvl 3, i'll be on tonight. send me a tell (kasandi)

Ok...hmmm....in Gfay I'm thinking Magician. Will get something rolled up. BTW if you're confused this is still me, just an alt-account. LOL.

Buellen
12-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Ok

ill be stuck in qeynos for a few levels. will see when i can move to more centralized freeport or out into greaterfaydark area.

Jimjam
12-30-2014, 04:06 AM
doesnt everyone who doesnt rmt start here untwinked?

In this thread, twinking includes being given or purchasing items that you couldn't obtain yourself.

I think the OP is encouraging people to play in a way where they have to camp/quest their own items instead of just gathering up plat to get a decent weapon.

Pipkin
12-30-2014, 03:31 PM
got a day off so i'm going to log in for a bit. i'll be off and on all day

Pipkin
12-30-2014, 03:55 PM
i think that if you can farm enough and sell enough to buy new equipment then it would be ok but just being given items and tx of items between toons is a no. i think the spirit of the untwinking is that you have to earn the items your self either by questing or by killing and farming but no shortcuts

SamwiseRed
12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
ah i see. i think the bigger problem is cheap kunark weapons trump hard to get classic items. remember in classic how many people were dying to get a Electrum-Bladed Wakizashi? CoM random drops make classic gear look like rustys. I think a better theme to this idea is something I tried long ago in that you can only use classic era gear 1-50.

Pipkin
12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
i'm good with just classic gear.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
i think that if you can farm enough and sell enough to buy new equipment then it would be ok but just being given items and tx of items between toons is a no. i think the spirit of the untwinking is that you have to earn the items your self either by questing or by killing and farming but no shortcuts

"The Untwinking" sounds like something the devs could sneakily do someday to purge the server of its glut of items and plat.

It would be quite the happening.

kaev
12-30-2014, 06:30 PM
In this thread, twinking includes being given or purchasing items that you couldn't obtain yourself.

I think the OP is encouraging people to play in a way where they have to camp/quest their own items instead of just gathering up plat to get a decent weapon.

So the idea is that melees must be incredibly underpowered and utterly dependant on the kindness of casters who could trivially go off and solo for a far greater rate of XP gain? "Classic" (i.e. pre-Kunark) melee gear sucks balls. It sucked balls in 1999, it sucks balls today. Where's the fun in being the boat anchor slowing everybody else's progress to a crawl?

After the fun of the initial discovery stage I would probably have quit EQ in 1999 if I hadn't discovered my Paladin could upgrade his gear, first by smithing his own banded armor and then selling banded armor to others for the pp to buy better stuff (not that there was a whole lot to buy early on, "trade only" was the mantra until Hate stones became a platinum sink for high level chars.)

There's no doubt that this server is way overfarmed and the player economy suffers from the huge glut of gear. But I see zero attraction in replacing that mildly negative circumstance with the outright horror of trying to tank in a mix of leather and rawhide with a 6/26 weapon.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-30-2014, 06:37 PM
So the idea is that melees must be incredibly underpowered and utterly dependant on the kindness of casters who could trivially go off and solo for a far greater rate of XP gain? "Classic" (i.e. pre-Kunark) melee gear sucks balls. It sucked balls in 1999, it sucks balls today. Where's the fun in being the boat anchor slowing everybody else's progress to a crawl?

After the fun of the initial discovery stage I would probably have quit EQ in 1999 if I hadn't discovered my Paladin could upgrade his gear, first by smithing his own banded armor and then selling banded armor to others for the pp to buy better stuff (not that there was a whole lot to buy early on, "trade only" was the mantra until Hate stones became a platinum sink for high level chars.)

There's no doubt that this server is way overfarmed and the player economy suffers from the huge glut of gear. But I see zero attraction in replacing that mildly negative circumstance with the outright horror of trying to tank in a mix of leather and rawhide with a 6/26 weapon.

Progress to what? p99 is about to become a finished project once Velious is released.

Players are just trying to figure out new ways to play in the sandbox. Untwinking is a neat idea.

But maybe your post has helped. "The Boat Anchors" would be a good name for a no-twinking guild.

Buellen
12-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Like other have said its just a different way to level.

Most who want to try the no twink theme are not in a whole lot of rush to get to end game.

Ideally if this guild get reformed it would fundamentally just be a leveling guild. Their is a already a ton of raiding guilds here on p1999. Leveling guilds can be fun , this one will just be leveling at different pace then most who are rushing to end game.

Here are some of the rules we used to follow in EQ mac Vintage as an example.

1. Can only use or have cast on you gear/ spells from original game.
2. Original game content and zones are what you can play in. no traveling of any kind to kunark and or velious.
3. Cannot at any time be anonymous / role-play.
4. Iksar are allowed but must move and bound to original continents by level 5. all gear from kunark must be removed and or stored and not used.

5. You are in said guild to relieve original everquest in all its glory /slowness. no one is going to constantly police ing you as that is not why we are here to do. You are the one taking the choice to play this style of everquest .

6. at such a time as guild defeats Vox and Nagfen with these gear /spell limitation then Kunark content will be unlocked.

Jimjam
12-31-2014, 01:36 AM

Agreed, there is a big jump between classic and kunark gear, but in spite of my agreement you really don't have to get by with a 6/26 weapon though. Paladin, ranger and shadowknight all have tricks to keep aggro. With the number of monk/rogue twinks even when you twink with a decent weapon warriors will struggle to keep aggro unless someone is rooting.

What I'd do is start with my newbie weapon, try and look a rusty two hander and make it tarnished. I'd upgrade to an Axe, Bastard sword or claymore as soon as possible. At 10 if I fancied an adventure I'd pick up a bloodforge hammer before heading to kurns and trying for an iksar berserker club. Dual wield sucks until it hits maybe 70+ skill, however even when you fail to swing you can still proc (possible bug?). This means for off hand I'd grab something with a fun proc, probably a polished granite tomahawk. IIrc there are some fun proc weapons that drop off sarnaks in Loio too.

In my twenties I'd get a group together in SoldungA to try for some obsidian shards. In 30s you can perhaps deviate a little form the mission statement, make friends with a rogue epic farmer to 'help' kill some kith mobs and get a Scimitar of Ykesha. Early 40s pick up a green jade broadsword and Kunzar ku'juch in Com. Maybe a SSoY from gukbottom. Mid 40s help out a rogue epic farmer again for a Trochilic's Skean. If you have a druid friend your level you can pop into Rathe Mountains every 2 hours at level 30+ to get an axe of the slayers/mithril girth. Axe of the Slayers is great fun as a 30 war; even untwinked you'll be able to solo many dark blues.

Armour wise cloth is fine for the first 9 levels, patchwork will carry you to about 13, raw-hide or mesh will carry you to ringmail and bronze okay. Once you are 20 the crafted armour quests begin to start opening up. I completed my set by 30 just through xp groups or soloing. Also explore other zones to find armour upgrades.

Obviously not as 'effective' as farming bone chips in North Ro for the first 4 levels and simply buying the green jade broadsword for 100pp. However, doing it the untwink/no EC way forces you to do some quests, make friends and explore the world. Admittedly not for everyone, but searching for equipment across multiple zones as I levelled improved my game enjoyment compared to paying other people to have fun finding items and just finding them all in one zone at low level (EC).

I've levelled both a twink and an untwink/no ec warrior and monks/rogues can be twinked to generate way more aggro (which would be fine if they all worke Fungis) and regardless of my gear situation I was going to need root or for those melee dps to dump aggro occasionally. Before ykesha, the only thing I could ever find that would semi-reliably hold aggro against an epic rogue was a pair of obsidian shards and a pile of dexterity.