PDA

View Full Version : Class Forums Section?

StinkyGreenBud
09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Right? or wrong?

feste
09-10-2010, 01:03 AM
i dont see why not. unless they are just goin to sit empty.

Thulghor
09-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I'm actually all for this. There is a lot about warriors I still haven't figured out.

Bubbles
09-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Those forums would really, really explode.

And would finally free up server chat to be... well.. pretty dead.

But it'd be neat to have 14 sub forums! We could always try it and revert back if it didnt catch on.

Tseng
09-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I'd be in favor

Tamika
09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
I've recently warmed up to this idea. Lets do it! Admins?

UrsusMajor
09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Haven't we been asking for this for over 3 months now?

Crash
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd love to have class boards, for sure. +1

Extunarian
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I agree. It is really tough to find good information on the server chat section. And the vBulletin search isn't the greatest. (i.e. searching for "ranger bow" drops the word "bow" and then gives you every thread where one poster had the word 'ranger' in their sig).

+1 for class forums. Can we get a poll?

Nazran
09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
+1 for class forums, it could also help reduce the amount of asked/answered posts.

Droop
09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I suggested this months ago...shot down :(

Kassel
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I like the idea but it might be better to make 4 forums instead of 14

Melee
Hybrids
Int casters
Wis Casters

This way each forum will be more active.

Extunarian
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd prefer:

Melee
Hybrids
Int casters
Wis Casters
Gnomes

Sarkov
09-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, lets try to subdivide the boards into dozens of empty forums no one ever visits after the novelty fades!

/opposed.

Dominick
09-10-2010, 01:05 PM
WHy not one more named Class questions and have prefixes like RNG ENC MAG DRU ROG etc etc

Extunarian
09-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Dozens of forums? There are 14 classes, and as Kassel noted we could lump some of them together. Can you provide any evidence that people would stop using them after a short while?

Look at the bard guides that astuce999 has posted. It's a shame that they will just fall off the main page because of others starting new threads like "why is my IP exemption taking so long?" or "Taco bell rules" and "How do I play a bard?"

I think one of these solutions really ought to be implemented: a class question forum as Dominick proposed, four new wis/int/melee/hybrid forums as Kassel suggested, or a sub forum for every class. Either way, Server Chat just has way too much going on to be a great repository of class reference material.

LizardNecro
09-10-2010, 01:19 PM
/agreed
you should make a poll

Eyry
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Would be neat but I doubt people would use it in the long term. Seen it happen before.

Zubek
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Just to show how much information in this forum that gets forgotten......... This was brought up a couple weeks ago and Rogean said he was going to consider it and then it fell off the front page. I personally think it would be a great addition.
Melee
Hybrid
Int
Wis
then we could get some of the awesome informative posts stickied.

Goraxx
09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Would be interesting to see which forums got used the most ouf of the class forums.

UrsusMajor
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes, lets try to subdivide the boards into dozens of empty forums no one ever visits after the novelty fades!

/opposed.

Hasn't this novelty been around for almost a year and so far just keeps growing?

Messianic
09-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Only wizards deserve their own forum.

'Cuz we're better than everyone else.

Sarkov
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Hasn't this novelty been around for almost a year and so far just keeps growing?

That's what she said.

Also, much as I'm certain it rankles you, I don't have to prove my opinion w/rt forum usage. Can you prove people would continue using class forums after a couple weeks?

Its not like we have such overwhelming activity in this forum that a search isn't going to get you what you need. Class forums are dumb.

Extunarian
09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Sarkov - I agree, neither of us can foresee exactly what will happen if this was implemented. However I don't see a problem with at least trying it out. The main issue at hand here is the fact that server chat is just too much of a catch-all, and it can be tough for people looking for more esoteric class discussions to wade through all those posts.

For instance, this is what I got when I searched for "Ranger Gear"
http://www.project1999.org/forums/search.php?searchid=283229

I just don't think the search function is the answer here.

Sarkov
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
You say that like "just trying it out" is costless. What would you propose be done if the experiment fails?

My point: message boards require a certain frequency of posters interacting with each other in order to be viable. The Server Chat section of these forums achieves that, barely. Server chat divided by 13 will not. If you want class forums to be a place to chat and interact with members of your class, I believe you have a very high likelihood of failure.

OTOH, if you want class forums as a repository of useful information, I'd submit that a wiki is a better tool.

Also, your poll is a good way to gauge initial interest in such forums, but a very poor way to gauge continued participation. Perhaps a better source of data would be comparison to other gaming websites that have tried it? I submit that the vast majority end up exactly as I am describing.

StinkyGreenBud
09-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Haven't we been asking for this for over 3 months now?

I post a new, well same thread every month asking for one. This is like month numba 4.

Zereh
09-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Even if they aren't used every day, they're always a great resource for new players coming in. Also nice for experienced folks as a point of reference. You have to admit the search feature on the forums is pretty lame.

;)
Z

Hodge
09-11-2010, 02:56 PM
make it a poll.

Sarkov
09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Thank god the inmates don't run the asylum.

Acillatem
09-11-2010, 03:29 PM
As a wizard on Live, I grew up with Graffe's (as I'm sure many others did as well). It was one of the more useful compendiums - up there with Casters Realm, Alla, EQ Atlas etc. In fact I would say I visited that forum more than I did anything else becuz the admins there COMBINED all the information from Lucy's, Alla, etc into one class specific website.

It's not like it's super hard to "make" the sub-forums, I've done board admin work before. It would prolly take 15 minutes to make 14 sub-forums.

If you don't wanna use them - don't. But it also allows a greater sense of "class cameraderie" - knowing who other WIZ are on the server, helping each other out, etc.

+1