PDA

View Full Version : Board Games

Shannacore
10-22-2014, 12:05 PM
I wish old threads would stop getting closed.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138639

We recently bought Dominion (very fun) and Summoner Wars (didn't like, and not just because I lost the first time~.

Any new recommendations not mentioned in the older thread? We seem to be on a board game kick.

FoxxHound
10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Talisman~

FoxxHound
10-22-2014, 12:41 PM
And Dark Tower
I forgot what was said in old thread.

Shannacore
10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Talisman~

I have Talisman! Sean and I tried playing but it was INCREDIBLY long with two people.

FoxxHound
10-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Which edition? I have only played 1st. I want to try the newer ones

heartbrand
10-22-2014, 01:33 PM
I wish old threads would stop getting closed.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138639

We recently bought Dominion (very fun) and Summoner Wars (didn't like, and not just because I lost the first time~.

Any new recommendations not mentioned in the older thread? We seem to be on a board game kick.

Dominion is fun. Tera mystica is my favorite board game all time [#3 on board game geek] I just bought mage knight, it's complicated but I think I'll like it. Agricola also amazing.

Shannacore
10-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Dominion is fun. Tera mystica is my favorite board game all time [#3 on board game geek] I just bought mage knight, it's complicated but I think I'll like it. Agricola also amazing.

I saw Agricola in the local nerd shop, also saw it on boardgamegeek. Maybe our next purchase?

Tecmos Deception
10-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Agricola is fun. I think I would LOVE it if I played it more often. There are a shitload of different cards that can alter and/or enhance the way your family builds your farm, and without playing a ton I feel like it's nearly impossible to remember what has worked well in previous games, which cards work well with which others, which cards sound nice but are actually just a waste of effort, etc. But yeah, fun despite that.

Nibblewitz
10-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Puerto Rico!

heartbrand
10-22-2014, 02:32 PM
puerto rico also vry good

Jimjam
10-22-2014, 02:55 PM
There is a computer version of Talisman available on Steam, if that is any interest to you

Frieza_Prexus
10-22-2014, 03:33 PM
2nd edition talisman with ALL expansions is the most fun, but the new game with all the expansions is WAY more balanced.

Both are great.

Faron
10-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Talisman~

pretty much /thread

loramin
10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Puerto Rico and Agricola are both great "resource management" board games. If you like that style Settlers of Catan should be at the top of your list; it's widely regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) in that genre. Another resource management game to consider, especially if you like Dungeons and Dragons, is Lords of Waterdeep.

I'd also recommend Carcassonne ... well, I'd really recommend Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It's sort of like Carcassonne v1.5 (the devleopers clearly learned lessons from making Carcassonne).

If you're looking for something a bit different I'd recommend Arkham Horror. It's a "players vs. the game" style game, and it scales very well no matter how many or how few players you have.

Oh, and if you liked Dominion there are a bunch of different "deck building" games out there to consider. I've heard Ascension is good, but the only one I've played (besides Dominion) is the Star Trek deck building game. It's actually a lot of fun even if you don't like Star Trek.

Infectious
10-22-2014, 07:58 PM
1) Yahtzee
2) Shoots and Ladders
3) Clue
Number one would be battleship if you count that as a boardgame.

Kimmie
10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Galaxy Trucker
Seven Wonders
Pandemic

arsenalpow
10-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Played infi rounds of drunken Coup with like 10 people at a time. It's simple and full of strategy and crazy fun.

Shannacore
10-23-2014, 10:29 AM
There is a computer version of Talisman available on Steam, if that is any interest to you

Bought this last night! Played an AI game and it took forever. Fun, though.

1) Yahtzee
2) Shoots and Ladders
3) Clue
Number one would be battleship if you count that as a boardgame.

These games are only fun if there are drinking rules involved.

Puerto Rico and Agricola are both great "resource management" board games. If you like that style Settlers of Catan should be at the top of your list; it's widely regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) in that genre. Another resource management game to consider, especially if you like Dungeons and Dragons, is Lords of Waterdeep.

I'd also recommend Carcassonne ... well, I'd really recommend Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It's sort of like Carcassonne v1.5 (the devleopers clearly learned lessons from making Carcassonne).

If you're looking for something a bit different I'd recommend Arkham Horror. It's a "players vs. the game" style game, and it scales very well no matter how many or how few players you have.

Oh, and if you liked Dominion there are a bunch of different "deck building" games out there to consider. I've heard Ascension is good, but the only one I've played (besides Dominion) is the Star Trek deck building game. It's actually a lot of fun even if you don't like Star Trek.

Great recommendations. Carcassonne has been on my to-buy list for a while now. The Arkham Horror game sounds pretty interesting (and different!), might look into that too. Thanks!

Played infi rounds of drunken Coup with like 10 people at a time. It's simple and full of strategy and crazy fun.

This? Looks fun. And only $12, holla.

McSkippy
10-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Going to be picking up Betrayal At House On The Hill (hopefully) during it's next release here soon. Heard it's a great game, just Wizards doesn't want to make money and sell it.

nilbog
10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Are you limited to 2 player games?

Going to be picking up Betrayal At House On The Hill (hopefully) during it's next release here soon. Heard it's a great game, just Wizards doesn't want to make money and sell it.

It is a great game. Takes 3+ people though. 4-6 is ideal. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Betrayal-At-House-The-Hill/dp/B003HC9734/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1414078403&sr=1-1&keywords=betrayal+at+house+on+the+hill) has a few copies right now for ~$44.

Saboteur (http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-4026ZMG-Saboteur-Card/dp/B000IQC4N2/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1414078472&sr=1-1&keywords=saboteur) is pretty fun and fast as well. 3-10 players.

Shannacore
10-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Are you limited to 2 player games?

Nope!

Manticmuse
10-23-2014, 02:18 PM
These are two player games that I picked up last year. Haven't played them a whole lot yet just due to laziness and/or forgetting I have them...but when we played them it has been a lot of fun:

Twilight Struggle - cold war era strategy, not a risk clone though it has dice and area/regions to control, lots of cards and actions based on historical events. I feel like I learn a lot just playing this game.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

Android: Netrunner - deck building anti-corporation hacker theme, the hacker builds a rig and skills with which to try to penetrate a corporation's servers for hidden agendas.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124742/android-netrunner

FoxxHound
10-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Runebound p good too~

Kraftwerk
10-23-2014, 05:03 PM
2 v 2 in SWED is hella fun

http://www.worthpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/epicduels.jpg

iruinedyourday
10-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Talisman~

The Eq of fantasy board games..

Also Heros Quest is bawm

http://www.fileplanet.com/fileblog/images/heroQuest_fileblog.jpg

ManosMan
10-23-2014, 06:28 PM
http://boardgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Defenders-of-the-Realm-game-components.jpg
Defenders of the Realm is 2-4 player co-op, meant for 4. It's fairly fun. You don't get to level up like Talisman but quest cards can boost your guy (re-rolls, more movement). It's also pretty difficult but the difficulty is sorta random.

Basic overview, you fight off orcs(green, 3+ to kill) undead(black 4+) dragonkin(blue 5+) demons(red 4+) and their respective bosses to keep them from getting into the city in the middle, or from just overrunning the map in general. At the end of each persons turn you draw a 'darkness spreads' card, which range from nothing(if you get REALLY lucky) to completely screwing you over in the most horrible way(most of the time). It shows two locations with 1-2 enemies on them meaning you place them as shown. If you get too many enemies (4, 3 is the max number of monsters in an area) in one area, it becomes overrun and you put a guy in every connected area (which can overrun them). Plus that area gets a tainted crystal in it every time it's overrun (could be the next persons turn if they draw that area again). You only have 12 in the box. If you need to put down a 13th crystal, you fail, you gotta go remove them but trust me they'll be back. If you run out of any color of monster models, you fail, you have to prune down numbers so no one gets too hefty. Each darkness spreads card has a boss moving on the bottom. The bosses follow a linear path to the city. If the card shows them moving to the next city on their path they move, if it's backward or skips a city, they don't. If the bosses get to the middle city, you fail. If you can't tell from the picture each boss is a mere four moves from ending your game in failure.

Fighting bosses is particularly tricky in that you have to use cards to attack them. Every turn you get two cards that you can spend on random things, some are special, some are basic, but they all have one of the colors and show you which boss you can spend this card to attack. You have a maximum of 10 of these, so if Sapphire the blue dragon is getting close to Monarch city you better start stocking blue cards and discarding the others when you have to. Say you try to take on Sapphire alone with a full compliment of 10 blue cards? With 4hp (the white boxes on it's card) and taking 5+'s to hit, good luck. Oh you lost? Well on top of death penalties, kiss your cards goodbye and there's no chance of it not having full health by the time you see it next so GG.

It's not like the game is impossible, with people working together you can break even with some bad DS cards drawn and you can definitely take down bosses. If you kill a boss you start drawing two DS cards per turn and when one boss is left you draw three... it never really lets up.

Kraftwerk
11-10-2014, 12:31 PM
srsly? how can u not spot settles of cataan from a mile away

heartbrand
11-12-2014, 09:11 AM
srsly? how can u not spot settles of cataan from a mile away

Roky Erickson
11-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Monopoly and risk

Ravager
11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
HeroQuest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLi1y65V5M

Fireball Island:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c

Shoog
11-13-2014, 11:48 AM
I recommend Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. You have persistent characters that level up, fight bosses, gain loot ... it is also a great gateway drug to PnP. :)