PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on worst Race/Class combination?

Amra65
10-18-2014, 02:02 AM
I can be incredibly apprehensive about character creation in any stat heavy rpg and this is Morrowind levels of heavy so...

I made a Iksar Warrior and noticed that almost nobody anywhere ever in the video community seems to have played one of these? I also hear bad things about Rangers in general and am curious if its all hearsay or fact.

I am obsessed with this topic and starved for info so do not be afraid to give any and all details you like.

If it helps I am more of an immersion character and do not mind if things will be "tough for raids" and such. I just want to be able to enjoy my experience and I honestly would prefer to not find out around level 16 that my character is useless in any situation.

Also I have a general idea about point allocation since like I mentioned b4 I enjoyed Morrowind.

I just would like personal opinions and stories about why you feel some race/class combos are just terrible.

Feel free to tell me what Combos u like but plz try to focus on the bad ones too.

Thanks!:)

quido
10-18-2014, 02:39 AM
https://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/leprechaun.gif

Tasslehofp99
10-18-2014, 03:37 AM
https://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/leprechaun.gif

lol is that beetlejuice from howard stern in the bottom right corner?

Pyrocat
10-18-2014, 05:40 AM
If you've never played before I would suggest starting by picking a class that can solo at least somewhat: shaman, necro, druid, mage, shadowknight, bard, or monk. Pure melee (war/rog/mnk) are hard to level without twink gear or a solid leveling partner / groups, but Monks can at least make a passable attempt with feign death and mend. Enchanters can be great soloers but it takes a lot of skill and in-depth knowledge of the game, so they're not a great starting class.

As far as worst match ups... I'd say Erudite Paladin would probably be the most disadvantaged. Erudites have pathetically low strength, stamina, and wisdom scores which are the paladins primary stats. They also lack low-light vision and have a crappy starting zone with very few class appropriate quests.

However, there are plenty of race/class combos that are technically bad. Pretty much any race that has a low base stat in something that your class needs. For example, gnomes have crappy strength and wisdom, so a gnome cleric or gnome warrior would be a statistically bad choice. On the other hand, this also makes them more rare, so you can play them for the uniqueness factor (or because you like how gnomes look in plate).

tl;dr pick the class you want to play first, look at their available races (all classes have a picking the right race (http://wiki.project1999.com/Bard#Picking_the_Right_Race) section on the wiki), and pick a race that doesn't have crap starting stats with your classes preferred stats, which the wiki will also explain. Also take into account other racial bonuses/penalties (e.g. iksar and troll have better hp regen, but also an exp penalty) and how much you like the look of the race. The most important thing is to pick something you think you'll have fun playing, not necessarily the very best stats.

p.s. picking anything other than iksar as a necromancer or a monk will probably make you kick yourself at higher levels, since the hp regen rate only increases at higher levels and can absolutely change the game for those two classes.

Pyrocat
10-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Rangers, Paladins, Shadowknights, and Bards all suffer a 40% exp penalty, which means it'll take 40% more exp to level than normal. Since it takes forever to level in this game to begin with, you may want to take the class and race exp penalties (http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#Race.2FClass_Experience_Penalties) into account when picking your character.

Rangers also don't really get good until later expansions, so playing one now is a challenge. They're outclassed in pretty much every role (dps, tank, puller .etc) by other classes. Here's a great thread on the class, though, if you're interested: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156572

Mojossa
10-18-2014, 06:15 AM
I made a Iksar Warrior and noticed that almost nobody anywhere ever in the video community seems to have played one of these? I also hear bad things about Rangers in general and am curious if its all hearsay or fact.

I am obsessed with this topic and starved for info so do not be afraid to give any and all details you like.

Hi, so I'm just starting on this server too so this is from 15 year old memories and could be wrong...

The reason you will not see many Iksar warriors is because warriors are a plate wearing class and plate provides the most armor. As your job as a warrior will be to keep entries hitting you and not your group you need as much armor as you can get so you dont lose health quickly. Iksar cannot wear plate and as such this means you will never be able to get your armor as high as another races warrior. That said iksars get a natural ac boost so at low levels where you cant afford plate you will actually have an advantage. Iksars also gain from a naturally higher hp regen over all the other races except trolls. Whether these will make up for not wearing plate at highend I dont know, but I'd suggest it wouldn't help much in a raid situation. That said you would likely be an awesome 2nd tank in a raid. When it comes down to it play the race/class combo that appeals most. Look me up in game, currently I'm a9 iksar necro, I wont be on until next weds as I'm on holiday and I play evenings uk time. One final peice of advice, warriors are very gear depdant and iksars are hated everywhere. Eq is not an easy and as a first character choice it could be a steep learning curve. Happy hunting

Byrjun
10-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Iksar Warriors have it a bit rough in Kunark since they have a slight exp penalty and they can't equip a bunch of plate armor. They also have kinda crummy stats compared to something like an Ogre and a Troll.

Some people think Iksar will be the best Warrior race in Velious, because for the most part the armor restriction is removed (there's still a couple things they can't equip, notably the mithril armor from NToV). I still think Ogre will be the "best" but Iksar is a close second.

In other words Iksar Warrior is fine, especially if you're gonna play him in Velious.

The problem with Rangers is they don't fill one role very well, and they carry a 40% experience penalty. Good Rangers that pull, CC, and dps in a group will have better luck than bad Rangers, but they're still pretty shunned from groups. This will also improve in Velious when the class experience penalties are removed (race experience penalties stay).

Since you asked for bad race/class combos I'll try to spew a bunch of info:

Necromancer/Monk: These classes get a huge advantage from being Iksar, so it's hard to justify the other races. Human Monks and Non-Iksar Necromancers are just inferior to their Iksar counterparts. That doesn't make them bad, just a bit inferior.

Shaman: On the other hand, making an Iksar Shaman is a handicap due to poor starting stat allocation and the inability to use some items, most notably the JBB.

Warrior: I talked about Warrior a bit already, but it's worth mentioning that they can be played by nearly every race (sans Erudite and High Elf). This makes for some pretty crummy race combinations, especially Dark Elves and Gnomes which both offer some pretty lousy starting Warrior stats.

Cleric/Paladin: These classes want wisdom/stamina, and Erudites are made to be frail intelligence casters.

It's worth noting that most race "penalties" can be overcome. Erudite Clerics can still max their wisdom and have decent totals for other stats, it's just more difficult than other races. There are Gnome Warriors that are just as good as other races.

webrunner5
10-18-2014, 12:07 PM
I would suggest you start with a class that has bind. If you don't know this game and the zones and how to get to them it is really tough playing a character that cannot bind in the zone you are playing or at least right outside the zone you will be playing in.

I know that leaves out most Melee classes, a Cleric can Melee, so does a Shaman. This game, P1999, is hard mode. Even for people that know the game.

I know a Monk gets feign death at level 17, but that is a pretty long time to get there for a noob. And you have to be skilled enough to remember to turn off attack to even FD. And if a caster is casting on you FD will fail until the spell is finished being cast. So not as easy as it sounds to FD every time.

I would play a Mage to start with to get your feet wet. They are very easy to play and really don't need much gear, same goes for a Necro. Only problem with the Necro is they are evil and not liked many places, so you will not be able to travel around much like the Mage can.

But it really just boils down to what class and race you REALLY want to play. And do that and just enjoy the game. Try a few classes but DO NOT get caught up in the having 20 alts to start with or you will never get any of them high enough to make plat. And having no plat in this game to Twink a bit is not much fun. Plus you get in a rut of playing in the same lower level zones and that gets boring.

Join a nice Guild and get involved in Guild chat. Guildies will help you out gear, plat and advice wise a lot. Welcome aboard.

Amra65
10-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much! This info is making my morning so much more fun now that I have some direction. Half of this stuff I have picked up while in videos but I still doubt myself when I get to the char screen so having you guys confirm things plus all the new bits are very helpful.

I ended up deleting my Iksar Warrior and replaced it with a Halfling for the 5% xp bonus (is this true?) plus I just am really not into playing an ogre. Odd since I like trolls?

Lastly I deleted my half-elf ranger and remade him as a bard. And will soon be remaking the Iksar as a Necro.

I just really wanted to see an Iksar with all those cool weapons and a shields. But it almost sounded like putting time into a "waste of time". The lack of plate-mail sorta put the nail in the coffin too!

Anyways thx for the laughs and info!

Danth
10-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Don't worry about those Iksar shields. Warriors don't use shields anyway except as novelty. If you pick Warrior, do so for the long haul, because the class doesn't truly come into its own until very high levels. Halfling does get a 5% bonus, by the way. Both Hide and Sneak are useful racial abilities to have, so it isn't a bad choice. Bards are a fine class, but rather maintenance-intensive to play well and have a much higher learning curve than some other classes.

A community member wrote a class selection guide you may find useful; I agree with most of what's in it. It's posted here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

If I had to pick worst class/race combinations, I'd pick either Erudite Paladin or Wood Elf Ranger. Those are the weakest races for the least popular classes on P1999. Since those races can still do the jobs of their respective classes about as well as anyone else can, it really just highlights how racial choice and starting stats won't make or break a character in the long run.

Danth

Raev
10-18-2014, 03:10 PM
deleting my Iksar Warrior . . . it almost sounded like putting time into a "waste of time".

The Legion of Cabilis would like to give you the middle finger:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Sakuragi
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Hakata
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Cucumbers

Hyperbase-1999
10-20-2014, 02:49 AM
I spent a lot of my early EQ time re-rolling Warriors, and other melee.

The worst combo for me was Human Warrior of Bertoxxulous.

Bad faction, starting quests mess with faction so badly that the city is only available at night.

You looked forward to Silvery Axes for passive infra vision.

Its hard on you, but I think overall low strength paladin/Shadow knight are going to feel technically harder to play for 2/3rds of the game, easing up when you can manage the weight of gear.

This is assuming no twinkling is going on.

Whirled
10-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Careful, us Iksar are a proud people.

Uteunayr
10-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Dark Elf, Human of Inny, or Erudite Necromancer...

I don't even get why. Sure, Dark Elves get hide, but it is just an invis. Click your COS.

Erudites have way too much int, all that is going to get wasted with the itemization in Velious.

And human of Inny... Why? There's such a cool evil guild in Qeynos to a much cooler god.

Gnomes get to Tinker, so I can't bash that. And seeing through Walls is pretty sick.

But Glorious Iksar Master Race: Tails flowing in the wind. May your regen be high, and your mana be efficient.

Worst overall: Probably Erudite Paladin. Worst stat allocation possible. I think even a Gnome Warrior would have better overall starting stats to what matters to the class... Not sure though. Just a gut reaction.

Arkaan
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
roll a nanomage enforcer and put all your IP in swimming.

Whirled
10-20-2014, 03:59 PM
I can be incredibly apprehensive about character creation in any stat heavy rpg and this is Morrowind levels of heavy so...

If it helps I am more of an immersion character and do not mind if things will be "tough for raids" and such. I just want to be able to enjoy my experience and I honestly would prefer to not find out around level 16 that my character is useless in any situation.

Also I have a general idea about point allocation since like I mentioned b4 I enjoyed Morrowind.

I just would like personal opinions and stories about why you feel some race/class combos are just terrible.

Feel free to tell me what Combos u like but plz try to focus on the bad ones too.

Thanks!:)

A naked human rogue - never equipping anything & bound no less than a continent away at all times.

Nihilist_santa
10-20-2014, 04:18 PM

Haha . Anarchy Online was so bad. I tried to play it so many times over the years but the game is just plain fail. Still waiting on that new graphics engine :P .

Aadill
10-20-2014, 10:05 PM

I get this reference.

Esheon
10-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Its hard on you, but I think overall low strength paladin/Shadow knight are going to feel technically harder to play for 2/3rds of the game, easing up when you can manage the weight of gear.

This is assuming no twinkling is going on.

I have to agree with this one... Even a human pally gets overloaded fairly easily. I did 20 STA for starting stats on my human pally, and with full banded/1 weapon/1shield, he could loot 6 corpses and go overweight even if he left rusty weapons behind. After some twinking by my druid (hero bracers, green jade broadsword, cracked darkwood shield) it's a little better... but now he's upgrading to bronze armour and running into the same problem :p

It has to be even worse for erudite/high elf paladins...

webrunner5
10-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I have to agree with this one... Even a human pally gets overloaded fairly easily. I did 20 STA for starting stats on my human pally, and with full banded/1 weapon/1shield, he could loot 6 corpses and go overweight even if he left rusty weapons behind. After some twinking by my druid (hero bracers, green jade broadsword, cracked darkwood shield) it's a little better... but now he's upgrading to bronze armour and running into the same problem :p

It has to be even worse for erudite/high elf paladins...

Warriors are even worse. They carry like 10 weapons at a time. After you have had a Ogre Warrior it is hard to make any other race for them. Their stats are scary compared to say a Dark Elf. :eek:

GinnasP99
10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Erudite paladin