PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here with lost of questions

sinnedam
10-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Hello,

I am calling myself a newbie even though I've played before. When I first played EQ was back around 2000 or 2001, and even then I never made it into the high end of the game, I think my highest lvl character was mid twenties. It has been so long that I have forgotten much of the game, and was hoping there was a guild I could join for newbs so that I can ask questions to people who played it for much longer than me. I played EQ2 from launch day forward off and on so I am more well versed in it, but I have forgotten how much harder EQ1 was that EQ2 LOL. Aside from the guild question, here are a few more -

1. I know that EQ has no in game maps, at least at the time period this server is designed for. What is the best way to find NPC's? It seems like i remember there being a command to find NPC's. I could be mistaken its been so long.

2. On EQ 2 spells are automatically given to you when you level, I know in EQ I have to buy them, but as a newb, I am struggling with figuring out where/what spells I should have at each level.

3. Questing - How do I find quests? How do I initiate quests? I cant seem to remember this at all, and EQ2 was pretty obvious as the NPC would have something glowing over their head I think.

I appreciate the help and love the server so far.

Priceline
10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
1. a few classes can track, otherwise maybe something was added later like in EQ2 to find npc's.

2. check the wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/), mostly accurate and rather helpful.

3. its called Everquest but don't let that fool you! Compared to quest hub mmo's, WoW and afterwords, Everquest really doesn't have much. Using the above wiki you can find which npc's have quests and then hail them, you'll see dialog in brackets that will let you go inception levels deep to find what out what they want.

There is no quest tracker though so you'll have to remember what quests you're trying to complete, use notepad or the tried and true pen/paper to keep notes.

Fuzzi
10-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Sent a Tell to Dennab sometime tomorrow, I just sent in the petition to create a guild fo this very purpose. There is a huge number of new players and first timers coming to P99.

I want a guild that helps with the learning curve.

Bodek
10-15-2014, 12:19 PM
1. The wiki /zones has maps that are very helpful. You will notice a grid with y,x coordinates on the map images. You can find your coordinates with the"/loc" command or just "/l". Many NPC's have their location listed so you can use /loc to find them as well. I you have your wits about you when you are getting beat to death you can /loc before you die to make corpse recovery easier.

3. The exp quests are really worth doing. Bones chips, belts, lightstones, gnoll fangs, scalps etc. Just looks up these items in the wiki and there should be quest information there. http://wiki.project1999.com/Bone_Chips_Quests (http://wiki.project1999.com/Bone_Chips_Quests) These items are also worth selling - for this reason.

A few select class/race specific quests that are worth doing - these you can find in the wiki under class or race specific quests.

Quests givers are not forgiving. Make sure you hand in exactly what they require in the correct quantity. If you "hail" someone and they talk with a [word] in brackets, you need to type that word to continue the dialog. "what word?" The word I [just] placed in brackets. "just give me j-boots already!"

salsamanzana
10-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I joined Unreliable (unreliable.guildlaunch.com), and they've been insanely helpful to me as a complete EQ newb.

Definitely second & third the p99 wiki, it's got awesome information for each class, the spells you get at each level per class, where to buy them, etc, etc. I'm not saying I bought a printer and an obscene amount of ink and paper and binders to print the whole damn thing out but...(i am totally saying that.) It's a strong piece of work.

http://www.eqclassic.de/EQAtlas/ is the best resource i've found for maps overall.

I'm usually on in the evening EST, and typically on my mage Astralux, but I reroll every other damn day because I get excited about trying other stuff. Hope to see you around in-game!

Tupakk
10-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Wiki and dual screens are you friend. I play in windows mode took make switching between windows.

Amra65
10-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Maybe this is not super helpful but I glean almost all my knowledge from content I watch on Yotube. I watch so much stuff that it basically becomes "studying" at some point. "Vareous" or "Flatts" are a good place to start. (Its the same guy but separate channels) If you search "Everquest Retrospective" he is going to be in the top results.

Goodluck out there!