PDA

View Full Version : Paladin in kunark

Battik
10-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Hello all,

I just recently started a paladin and really enjoying it. I just want to ask if pallies can be some form of healer in velious? The reason why I ask is because I know they get some decent healing spells and was wondering if theu concentrated on healer stats gear that they might be able to heal? The answer is probably no but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks!

Kich867
10-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately not. Their healing spells, despite getting better, are definitely outclassed by any priest (primarily clerics).

Not only that, I believe their mana pools are quite a bit smaller than the priest classes. Paladin's primary duty is to tank, and if there is someone else tanking, off-tank or assist in damage / healing.

I don't think it's uncommon for a paladin to off-heal targets in small group settings, but generally you're going to be focused on absorbing damage. A better heal in this case would be to pull aggro off those who have pulled it from the main tank and absorb the damage instead, as you're much more capable of taking it.

Battik
10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Ok I thought as much. I understand that a proper would be a lot better. I was just wondering that with a lot of WIS/mana items would a pally do well enough to heal a group? If there heals are nowhere near strong enough then I guess the answer is a big no then. Thanks a lot for replying. Appreciate it.

Tuljin
10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
You will be healing yourself quite a bit but you'll still want a priest for most groups. If you are using Flash of Light and stun for agro nobody will pull agro off of you with a heal. When paladin gets Superior Healing at level 57 you can heal yourself provided you have enough DPS in your crew, but you'll have to be playing with good players and not be a nub youself.

Avoid +wis gear and go primarily for dex and melee stats, mana pool is not important on blue. Star Ruby jewelery adds nice CHA for calming and lulling, which you'll also find yourself doing a bit and its worth swapping in when you have to.

You will be healing your group members often, but you wont be primary healer. Its nice to toss a pal heal on a caster that got beat up a bit or for a heal for a melee just to help the priest a bit. Really though you should be the only person taking damage, the main point of tanking with a Knight is snap agro through spells.

Arteker
10-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately not. Their healing spells, despite getting better, are definitely outclassed by any priest (primarily clerics).

Not only that, I believe their mana pools are quite a bit smaller than the priest classes. Paladin's primary duty is to tank, and if there is someone else tanking, off-tank or assist in damage / healing.

I don't think it's uncommon for a paladin to off-heal targets in small group settings, but generally you're going to be focused on absorbing damage. A better heal in this case would be to pull aggro off those who have pulled it from the main tank and absorb the damage instead, as you're much more capable of taking it.

paladin mana pool is the same as priest classes .

Battik
10-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Ah really?? I never knew that. Many thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

Jimjam
10-07-2014, 04:51 AM
Are you asking if you can play the role of a priest, but using a paladin?

i.e. medding instead of fighting, casting heals and using stuns to interrupt big enemy casts instead of to gain aggro?

Battik
10-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Yes that's exactly what I was trying to ask. Is it possible?

Jimjam
10-07-2014, 05:44 AM
There might be some content you could do, but I doubt you'd be able to do the most cutting edge stuff for your level.

Assuming it is possible, I don't expect you'd actually particularly need to focus on 'healer stats'; unless you are having protracted fights where the size of your mana pool is important, your mana regen will largely be the same regardless of gear as it is based on how much you are able to meditate.

A bit of a wishwashy answer I know. The best thing might be to try creating a few characters, moving them to beta (where boxing is permitted), using the level buff feature and try it out for yourself?

Battik
10-07-2014, 05:51 AM
That's a great idea I will try that this weekend. Thank you for the very informative reply.

Tuljin
10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
If you don't have Clarity you will find your mana will run out a lot because you won't be sitting to med. The mana trickle from Clarity is nice, especially considering your stuns and blind are all low mana which you will be using a lot. Without the mana trickle you will be OOM a lot.

Paladin doesn't get a stun until 30, and its a very key component of the class. You don't get your second stun until 49. Until you reach 30 you will be playing Paladin with a key component missing. With your stuns you will (should) be interrupting lots of caster spells, as well as stopping running mobs etc.

Also be sure to train your Bash, it takes a while but it is another defining skill of a Paladin. (Sword and Board) You can also bash with the 2h epic.

Heal is useful and helps a lot, but you will not be the primary healer for a group. If you're creative you can heal yourself, but this requires a lot of DPS. Pal/Rogue is an awesome duo that makes self-healing possible at lower levels, especially a twink Rogue.

baalzy
10-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Paladin won't get Specializations, which is a pretty substantial mana savings. From 39 to 54 or something tho their heals will heal as much as a druid/shamans.

kaev
10-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Shaman & Druid have HP regen buffs. Druid has additional HP regen via the top two buffs in the skin line, and has self-buffs that give mana regen outdoors (54+) and anywhere at L60. Shaman has fantastic mana regeneration and slows. Cleric has much superior heal efficiency even without the 5% bonus they for some reason do not receive on p99, Cleric gets better & more efficient heals including HoTs, and Cleric has very efficient group healing via Heroic Bond buff at 52+, healing is what Cleric does. All three wis casters will get 10% reduction to mana costs via specialization once the patch fixing that goes live, although I do not know whether it is as common for Shaman to specialize alteration as it is for Druid (often) or Cleric (always).

Basically, Cleric is the one and the only. A well played Shaman can be a beast solo healer depending on group and content because of slows. A Druid can do the job, especially in a smart group that plays well against the content at hand.

The Paladin is a third-rate healer, or fourth rate without mana regen buff from an Enchanter. Better than no healer at all, but honestly the Paladin belongs on his feet. Paladin is great for tanking, pulling, CC'ing via root+off-tanking, interrupting casters, stunning+taunting+healing to save the Enchanter's highly valuable ass when the Cleric is overwhelmed, LH'ing the critical groupmate who is about to die (almost always the Enchanter or Cleric), & etc.

Why try to be a third-/fourth-rate healer when you have the toolset to be a first-rate tank?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Shaman & Druid have HP regen buffs. Druid has additional HP regen via the top two buffs in the skin line, and has self-buffs that give mana regen outdoors (54+) and anywhere at L60. Shaman has fantastic mana regeneration and slows. Cleric has much superior heal efficiency even without the 5% bonus they for some reason do not receive on p99, Cleric gets better & more efficient heals including HoTs, and Cleric has very efficient group healing via Heroic Bond buff at 52+, healing is what Cleric does. All three wis casters will get 10% reduction to mana costs via specialization once the patch fixing that goes live, although I do not know whether it is as common for Shaman to specialize alteration as it is for Druid (often) or Cleric (always).

Basically, Cleric is the one and the only. A well played Shaman can be a beast solo healer depending on group and content because of slows. A Druid can do the job, especially in a smart group that plays well against the content at hand.

The Paladin is a third-rate healer, or fourth rate without mana regen buff from an Enchanter. Better than no healer at all, but honestly the Paladin belongs on his feet. Paladin is great for tanking, pulling, CC'ing via root+off-tanking, interrupting casters, stunning+taunting+healing to save the Enchanter's highly valuable ass when the Cleric is overwhelmed, LH'ing the critical groupmate who is about to die (almost always the Enchanter or Cleric), & etc.

Why try to be a third-/fourth-rate healer when you have the toolset to be a first-rate tank?

Beautifully put

Battik
10-08-2014, 03:48 AM
This is fantastic information thank you so much for the replies! I'm just asking really as I am curios is all. I understand completely that the three wis priests are the main healers and always will be and that tanks are tanks at heart. So as an example if a group has been after a healer for a while and they don't find one, can a pally step in and heal for a group as they wait for a healer to show up? Will there heals be strong enough to keep the group topped, I'm assuming they can with a clarity? Thanks again for all the replies!

Jimjam
10-08-2014, 04:12 AM
If you don't have Clarity you will find your mana will run out a lot because you won't be sitting to med. The mana trickle from Clarity is nice, especially considering your stuns and blind are all low mana which you will be using a lot. Without the mana trickle you will be OOM a lot..
You're ignoring that he is asking if he can play his pal as a cleric in a pinch which means in this situation he would be sitting.

Obviously anyone will struggle being a healer AND a tank at the same time!

Battik
10-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Yes exactly jimjam thank you for clearing that up.

Esheon
10-08-2014, 05:33 PM
From a comparison of per-cast heal amounts, paladins are equal to druid/shaman in raw blast heal amount from 15-18 and 39-52.

However, shamans get regeneration at 24 and druids get it at 34... so really, a paladin only heals as well as a druid or shaman for four levels. Count in the indirect healing of slow/haste from shaman or DS from druids, and it gets worse.

Now, that does depend on content as well... If you have a well-geared tank mass-pulling blues and not taking much damage, you could probably do it. A paladin and ranger working together on heals might do well enough.

Personally, I think the best way a paladin can heal is by pulling mobs off the squishies and offtanking them.

Danth
10-09-2014, 04:51 AM
...So as an example if a group has been after a healer for a while and they don't find one, can a pally step in and heal for a group as they wait for a healer to show up? Will there heals be strong enough to keep the group topped, I'm assuming they can with a clarity?

This happened on occasion when I played my Paladin during off-peak hours. Yes, the Paladin can often maintain a group with no other healer. The group had better be willing to potentially reduce pull rate (and/or move to a safer place) to compensate for the weaker healing capacity. Sometimes you'll have someone else who can tank (Monks are quite common), or occasionally you'll have to tank and self-heal. Nobody asks for this sort of situation, but sometimes you can't find the classes your group needs so you make do with what you have. Reduced kill rates are better than sitting around doing nothing.

In raids it isn't unheard of for Paladins to be asked to heal groups of lower priority characters or folks who don't get hit much. A set of +WIS gear can be nice to have if you find yourself doing this with some frequency.

Danth

Battik
10-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Awesome Danth I think that was exactly what I wanted to know. So I guess it is possible then! I will make sure to have some wis pieces on me then. Thank you for the reply.

Erati
10-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Awesome Danth I think that was exactly what I wanted to know. So I guess it is possible then! I will make sure to have some wis pieces on me then. Thank you for the reply.

you should do this quest

http://wiki.project1999.com/Silent_Watch_Shield

basically an Aegis of Life without camping Grimrot...one of the best back items avail for a paladin who wants to cast

Hroth
10-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Don't listen to all the naysayers. Paladins can heal just fine. Of course they are not the ideal healer, but if one cannot be found you can fill in the role and keep exp moving albeit likely at a reduced rate. Having an enchanter or bard for mana regen and slows will speed the pull rate up considerably as well. Keep a spot open for a healer in case one is found, or don't if you find that your group is fine as is and another DPS will improve the exp flow even more. You'll need someone else to tank though. While you can heal and tank for a duo or even a trio, a larger group would really be slowed down by this.

A second gear set with wisdom will help out your mana pool. It does nothing to improve mana regen rate or increase the possible kill rate, but it could be beneficial if things get hairy. I always liked healing with my paladin on live, and I had a gear set specifically for doing so when times required it.