PDA

View Full Version : Decided to take the plunge :)

teralas
09-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi All! This community looks really active and supporting, and I've heard from the Reddit forum that there's regularly around 1000 players online at most times. I'm excited to come play here!

On Live, my main is a bard on Xegony, named Teralas. I also have a paladin alt I play a lot named Remedios. I've been playing since maybe 2000, always on and off, but got into the game seriously (ie, beyond level 20) in 2006 when I learned about The Combine server and the new progression process there. Played in Killer Bixies for years on end, Remedios is still parked in that guild. I don't log in much anymore, the 80+ game isn't that fun anymore, now that there's free AAs... and, to be honest, I'm reluctant to pay $15 a month. Guess I'm cheap.

I'll probably be rolling a bard. I've just been in love with the class since the early days of Combine, and for me, there's just no substitute. But I'm also thinking of maybe starting out in a new direction, making an Iksar shaman, monk, or warrior, and sticking to that continent to really try and roleplay a character, and spark some history into him. I've always wanted to do that. I know *exactly* what to do on a bard - but an Iksar, bound to Kunark, that would be brand new to me. Anyone know if that would be a lonely time? I'm definitely more interested in groups than soloing, so if Kunark is sort of empty, I'll just go bard.

Whirled
09-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Welcome!
Most evenings U.S. time there are approx +/- 1000 players.
Weekends brings even more at times & the change of season may bring even more.
You kinda have to take an active role in making groups most of the time.

P.S. = If you do not have carpal tunnel, you will after leveling a bard.

Evia
09-30-2014, 08:44 PM
First of all welcome to p99!

Bards are great! so are Shaman! Really I'd just recommend playing what you think you'd enjoy. I'd take a look at the wiki (wiki.project1999.com) and research the classes (read up on spells/songs/quests/gear suggestions/leveling guides) to get a general feel for the "era" of EQ again. I'm not certain, but the classes may have changed on live compared to how they'll play on p99. So it might be good to get familiar again with what to expect with each class.

The Iksar idea you had sounded like a lot of fun for a new experience, especially because Kunark is a great leveling continent. You can always run your bard to Kunark though and lvl and come up with a role play concept as to why. :)

No matter what you choose I think you'll have fun here. The community is generally pretty cool and the groups are pretty frequent (I've found) through out the leveling experience.

NegaStoat
09-30-2014, 09:23 PM
bards level under the 40% hybrid experience tax. if you're okay with that and want to continue onto your road of pain and anguish from song twisting, I have some good news for you. This server has ticks of time work a bit differently from a retail server, and it works to the benefit of Bards in particular. More info is found in this thread. The most useful post is on page 4, post 40.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111683&highlight=%2Fstopsong&page=4

I hope it helps.

holsteinrx7
10-01-2014, 08:29 PM
come on in the waters warm with urine

Stormlight
10-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Welcome! I haven't played an Iksar before either, sounds like fun. :)