PDA

View Full Version : Warrior aggro

ivcho
09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I recently hit level 18 and have a few twink items, most notably a Lamentation. Other stuff is mostly crafted with a few cobalt and standard affordable hp gear. In terms of survavibility I do well, but having trouble understanding how aggro and taunt work.

Is the taunt command simply not powerful enough at this level to actually work or am I doing something wrong? A lot of times the mob just simply ignore is. Is that normal?

Aside from that, is aggro simply based on how much damage I do or do the tank classes have some sort of threat multiplier, and if so, is it the same across the board?

Thanks for your help!

Kekephee
09-26-2014, 02:34 PM
When you taunt, your hate gets moved to be X+1, where X is the highest hate on the list. If you have 37 hate, and someone in your group has 45, a successful taunt will change your hate to 46.

If they are generating 2 hate per second, and you are generating one, it will only be two seconds before they pass you again. This is something people don't understand about taunt. You need to stop generating hate when the tank gets aggro off of you.

Aggro is based on how much damage you do, yes, but my understanding is there's also a certain amount of hate generated per melee weapon swing. Additionally, procs, stuns, DDs, DoTs, and such all generate hate- which is why warriors use aggro weapons that proc DDs or stuns.

williestargell
09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Actual damage done is irrelevant to hate. Hate is damage per swing based on weapon ratio and level based damage bonus. You generate the same amount of hate whether you miss, hit for min, hit for max.

The most important stat/slot that a person needs to fill in order to get better agro is Haste. Hate is generated per swing so more swings = more hate. If you are working on getting better agro the first place to look is your haste item. The first real money you get needs to go for an fbss or better.

Jimjam
09-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Keep in mind taunt won't really work on mobs higher than blue.

I remember on the live forums a few years ago that the devs realised the taunt mechanics had been broken from kunark for about a decade before they realised it didn't ever work on higher cons.

If someone is massively outstripping your aggro it is sometimes worth having a caster root the mob; that way you can ensure you are the one getting hit by standing closest to the mob.

Peekae
09-27-2014, 03:04 AM
Taunt doesn't work very well on white + higher mobs. There isn't a tank threat multiplier of any kind which is why at the later levels you will rely on high aggro procs / clickies. While warriors can be somewhat frustrating early game they are by far the best end game tanks damage mitigation / HP wise.