PDA

View Full Version : Types of Looting

Abner
09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
In another thread it was touched on that different servers in the old days sometimes had different terminology for types of looting. Perhaps we can agree upon some and also set some basic ground rules for pick-up groups. You might think that common-sense and basic manners would cover this but alas it does not.

So please help me name and explain the different looting methods, bad and good.

I will start with what I can recall. Please add what I am forgetting.

Need before greed = Good and should be the default on non-trash items unless agreed upon ahead of time by the group. Items that are upgrades for the character in the group should go to that character. If more than 1 can use as an upgrade, rolling commences. /random 0 100 is the standard roll format. If it is not an upgrade for anyone then all that wish may roll. Alternately on occasion the group leader (or other) may assign a number to each group member. Then they will /random that number range and the winning number gets the loot. I think this is less common but works just fine.

Round Robin = Alternate looting of cash and trash loot off mobs. Everyone takes a turn and hopes for the best trash loot. /random for special loot as always.

Ninja Looting = Bad. This comes in 2 flavors.

1. Someone who grabs a major loot piece, no-drop or not and keeps it for themselves rather than rolling for it.

2. Someone that pounces on most every corpse and loots at least the cash without /autosplit turned on. I despise this person.

Master Looting = Good. This is great if all agree and the master looter is trustworthy. This can be helpful if there is a Monk in the group too as they won't have to destroy their copper and/or silver all the time to keep their weight down. In this scenario the designated looter loots everything except major items that get rolled on as usual under the need before greed rules. He/she then sells the items and splits the total gained cash amount from looted cash and cash gained from the sales. This is done by typing /split 5c 25s 45g 70p as an example. You can leave off the c s g and p I just put them in to better explain. It works either way so whatever.

FFA = Free for all. Can be bad or good. Could start good and turn bad. This can work in some situations especially if some of the group members have high level toons and don't care at all about the loot at the level you are playing. But those who need or want the loot need to play nice and not hog it all. Common-sense and basic manners need to be used. You should probably do this method only with known friends but hey go for it if you like drama.

Another thing. If there are items that everyone or most everyone wants to turn in for faction and/or experience like crushbone belts/pads or orc scalps etc. typically everyone takes turns. Usually done alphabetically. "Alpha on belts, Zoraxxx is up next".

Bottom line though is that a happy group sets expectations up front, agrees and sticks to it. Newly added members are informed of the loot rules set and everyone is a happy camper.

armadilluz
09-24-2014, 08:37 AM
I recall round-robin being a common loot option- at least at lowbies. (Alternate looting trash mobs) And /random on names/better-than-trash-loot.

Of course this could probably fall under the Need before greed category.

Glenzig
09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
"This can work in some situations especially if some of the group members have high level toons and don't care at all about the loot at the level you are playing."

Yeah we don't have that here.

Whirled
09-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Need before greed = Good and should be the default on non-trash items unless agreed upon ahead of time by the group. Items that are upgrades for the character in the group should go to that character. If more than 1 can use as an upgrade, rolling commences. /random 0 100 is the standard roll format. If it is not an upgrade for anyone then all that wish may roll.

/agree

NBG is classic

Abner
09-24-2014, 09:32 AM
I recall round-robin being a common loot option- at least at lowbies. (Alternate looting trash mobs) And /random on names/better-than-trash-loot.

Of course this could probably fall under the Need before greed category.

Excellent I will add this info above.