PDA

View Full Version : Project Gorgon AWESOME! Old developers from AC

Chromos
09-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Just found out about this game randomly. Even though they are trying a kickstarter they have a fully functioning Alpha going and its free to try all the way through until they launch at which time they will decide(they are tossing around either F2P or $5 a month). I have to say it is pretty fun to play something new and refreshing that has a very old school feel to it. Its what I would think Pantheon would be like if it ever got made.

Chromos
09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Projectgorgon.com to download the client and start playing!

Chromos
09-17-2014, 11:41 PM
omgggggg im still in the newbie area, just to unlock the chest in the room theres a puzzle you have to do. Im having flashbacks of being in a real mmo again. No exclamation points or waypoint directions for quests. You have to talk to people in order to get them to give you a quest sometimes gain favor before they dish it out.

Furniture
09-17-2014, 11:54 PM
This can potentially be awesome and the first worthwhile mmo since daoc, thanks for sharing!

Tongpow
09-18-2014, 01:56 AM
yeah just finished install, running around newbie area

this...this has potential

Zaruk
09-18-2014, 03:44 AM
downloading it now, thanks for sharing!

Tasslehofp99
09-18-2014, 04:05 AM
Looks awesome, I may check it out if my current computer can handle it.

That whole werewolf thing is really awesome.

Tongpow
09-18-2014, 05:53 AM
quests are pretty dope, found a sentient praying mantis wearing a fedora and when you hail him he says something about being intelligent for wearing it then proceeds to give you a fetch quest to find him some food so he can fuck this other mantis and not be eaten afterwards.

Champion_Standing
09-18-2014, 07:22 AM
I tried this a little while back, clicked guest account and now i can't get it to go back to the menu to create an actual login and pw nor can i find anywhere to do it on their site.

Tongpow
09-18-2014, 07:32 AM
its ingame, the top button on the list on the right hand side

Champion_Standing
09-18-2014, 08:44 AM
its ingame, the top button on the list on the right hand side

Ahhh, thanks bud

Zadrian
09-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I played this for a while a few months ago. I should get back into it.

Grubbz
09-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Game is amazing but there kickstarter is failing hard, sucks to because this has more potential then pantheon ever did.

harnold
09-18-2014, 04:22 PM
I think project 1999 should do what they did for pantheon to this

mrgoochio
09-18-2014, 04:43 PM
P99 guild? how many players are on this game?

seems cool, but some of the cursed death effects seem pretty stupid. took a reasonable/viable idea and made it ridiculous.. being a cow? right.

HappyTr33z
09-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Downloading

Grubbz
09-18-2014, 04:51 PM
This game is amazing.........

HappyTr33z
09-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Wow, can't believe the amount of fun I've had so far considering the short amount of time I've played and that the game is in alpha(or pre-alpha or something). Really hope they get this funded, I'm definitely donating to it.

My advice : Give it a try, alphas are ofcourse buggy and all that but the potential of this game shines right thru it. It's a pretty small download, runs on my pc that is using onboard gfx(card died) just fine, and most of all its free.

mrgoochio
09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
sad to read that a lot of people report its essentially a singleplayer game. no guilds and no group content yet.

Grubbz
09-19-2014, 03:37 PM
sad to read that a lot of people report its essentially a singleplayer game. no guilds and no group content yet.

its an alpha, basic concepts and basic gameplay.

from what iv been told there is a dungeon in the game that reqs 10+ players.

its a damn shame to because if the KS fails there will be no more work on this project.

Tongpow
09-19-2014, 03:43 PM
well, its barely even a game at this point if you read the kickstarter page they got pretty lofty goals the two top tier pledge goals involve a guild manor and owning your own fucking city apparently

"Right now, in alpha, the game has three outdoor areas, each bigger than the last. It also has about a dozen dungeons, give or take, depending on how you count them. There's actually quite a lot of content there already! Hundreds of quests, 80-some-odd skills, and much more. But this just covers the early part of the game. The current level cap is 50 for most skills, and in the final game, the level cap will be 125.

When the game is completed, it will have something like 15-20 outdoor areas, instead of 3."

HappyTr33z
09-19-2014, 05:23 PM

No guilds, true. But I've been in 3 crypts groups in just a few hrs game time, and even with some dudes that were mid 40s in their skills, we had a tough time fighting the Nameless boss. (giant skeleton guy)

Pitborn
09-19-2014, 05:24 PM
no pvp.

the end.

HappyTr33z
09-19-2014, 05:25 PM
no pvp.

the end.

consensual pvp now, not sure what's happening later but I'm sure they will have a flagging system. (hopefully a long term one not just some on/off toggle that you can do at any time)

mrgoochio
09-19-2014, 05:26 PM
No guilds, true. But I've been in 3 crypts groups in just a few hrs game time, and even with some dudes that were mid 40s in their skills, we had a tough time fighting the Nameless boss. (giant skeleton guy)

cool, just going off of the brief reading i did on this game. just looking for something to play thats group oriented since i stopped playing p99 ages ago. too bad its not getting funded :(

HappyTr33z
09-20-2014, 03:55 PM
cool, just going off of the brief reading i did on this game. just looking for something to play thats group oriented since i stopped playing p99 ages ago. too bad its not getting funded :(

Yeah it doesnt look like it'll make it, I'm hoping they will continue on with development and try to think up some other way to get it funded. Would be a shame if this thing vaporized.

mrgoochio
09-20-2014, 04:28 PM
i think this is the 2nd failed kickstarter by the devs. tbh, they could have done a lot differently for the kickstarter.. :/

Pitborn
09-21-2014, 03:39 PM
consentual pvp.

the end.

HappyTr33z
09-21-2014, 05:05 PM
consentual pvp.

the end.

quit shitposting, ofcourse most of the mechanics aren't in yet, it's a fucking alpha.

mrgoochio
09-21-2014, 10:40 PM
thought i'd give this a shot and logged in and had some fun. proceeded to get turned into a cow for no apparent reason (saw cow boss, got warned and ran away). 15 minutes later, turned into a cow and quit the game. gg

Grubbz
09-21-2014, 11:18 PM
thought i'd give this a shot and logged in and had some fun. proceeded to get turned into a cow for no apparent reason (saw cow boss, got warned and ran away). 15 minutes later, turned into a cow and quit the game. gg

Rekt

mrgoochio
09-22-2014, 12:18 AM
this guy? http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzA2LzE2LzIwL3NocmVrLmRyZWFtLmZkNGQ1LnBuZw pwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4NjI3IwplCWpwZw/acf2ed18/328/shrek.dreamworks.tv_.jpg

Tongpow
09-22-2014, 01:35 AM
aww the cow is amazing, you can still level up and they get their own skills and armor

im trying to max out animal handling now, saw someone with 2 skeleton mages as pets idk if that necromancy or animal handling though

Grubbz
09-22-2014, 02:03 AM
aww the cow is amazing, you can still level up and they get their own skills and armor

im trying to max out animal handling now, saw someone with 2 skeleton mages as pets idk if that necromancy or animal handling though

thats necromancy

mrgoochio
09-22-2014, 04:29 AM

point is i got cursed without dying and it occurred 15 minutes after i already ran away from the cow. i dont want to be a cow, nor do i want to get bugged by any other curse randomly after i avoided death. game is probably fun, but dont know if i can deal with the alpher status.

murrpau
09-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Got turned into a cow, levelled up cow/psych, went back and roflstampeded that heffer.
Playing a few chars now: a pig with a pet rat, a werewolf psychologist, and a human sword/archery that I'm gonna train in mentalism. I can't believe how fun it is even in alpha! This is what wanguard and eq2 and wow should have been like.

Grubbz
09-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Update from the KS

Kickstarter Isn't Gonna Make It, But We're Not Dead Yet!
Barring some sort of miracle, this Kickstarter attempt isn't going to succeed. But that's been pretty obvious for a while! The more important thing, to the team here, is that people are getting a lot more excited than they've ever been. We're seeing close to a hundred people online, which is still tiny, but for a previously-completely-unheard-of alpha test, it's great!

We're working on other ways to get the funding we need to make the game. I'll share more of our plans as soon as I know them! In the mean time, if you're enjoying the alpha, fear not: it will remain up and running for at least a few more months while we try to figure out a way to bring the game to completion.

When I see people playing the game (and being excited for its future), it feels like I've been trekking through a polluted swamp and then suddenly started breathing fresh, clean air. It can instantly turn this very tough job into a joyous experience. Our top priority has always been to create a world other people can enjoy with us, and we're already starting to do that!

We're not out of that swamp yet -- getting more money is crucial to being able to finish the game. But your enthusiasm is just as critical. I really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to play and tell their friends about Project: Gorgon!

HappyTr33z
09-23-2014, 10:17 AM
point is i got cursed without dying and it occurred 15 minutes after i already ran away from the cow. i dont want to be a cow, nor do i want to get bugged by any other curse randomly after i avoided death. game is probably fun, but dont know if i can deal with the alpher status.

Hehe yeah that's a pesky bug, luckily Cows can be OP as shit!

But since being a cow really isn't all that appealing to most people, just ask in global for someone to help you take the boss down. I'm sure you'll get a high level's assistance in no time, people are helpful as fuck on that game.

stormlord
09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
I like the sound of all this. But how to you stop from being a cow? I really really hate that kind of stuff. When I choose a character at char creation THAT's what I expect to be, not a cow or some illusion cast on me by somebody else. I remember when I played EQ2 I had to hunt down an option to shut off illusions cast by my abilities on myself. In EQ enchanters can change how you look and there's no option.

So what about this game is like classic EQ? One poster comment said there're no glowing paths or automatic things or radars? I definitely like that about classic EQ. On p1999, I like hte lack of hand holding - like no GPS in the in-game map. I even like how some of the zones don't have an in-game map. And how some of the maps are maze-like even! And cliffs you can actualy fall off. I also like first person and ocassional surprises like invisible walls. This stuff makes the world feel more engaging to me.

But how bad is the grind? Grind has always been one of my enemies. My definition of a game which has low or no grind at all is one wherein you go to different places, and things generally aren't always hte same whatever you do. I'll give examples using classic EQ. You're in Crystal Caverns for 6 days, 4 hours each day, doing the SAME camp, and you're still level 45. You've mostly mastered all your spells and have them all, so there's no new spells or techniques to keep you interested! Another example I can think of is when you're camping to complete stages of your epic quests. Some of the stages are notorious for having you sit for an hour waiting for a spawn that MIGHT pop. And you might be coming back to that spawn for weeks or months! Something similar happens with many of the quests in EQ. What makes it worse is the game gives you so little information. You're ENCOURAGED to use allahkazam or one of the p1999 helper sites. And even if you find the info, you still probably have to camp the spawn or zone. This wouldn't be so bad if getting the needed items or named to pop wasn't as time consuming and repetitive, but it often is, painfully so.

So it's not necessarily bad that it takes time to level or that it takes time to do quests in classic EQ. What's bad is there's so much grind (re: repetition) in the time you consume to do those things. I have no problems with slow leveling if I feel like I"m occupied and learning things. It's when I'm stuck doing the same thing and not learning that it becomes unbareable. In classic EQ's case, I was not always bored or not learning things. Many times I had new things to learn or was going to new places. That's why I kept playing.

EDIT: I went to the website for Project Gordon and like what they say on the welcome page. I very much like their comment about how picking up items other players dropped on the ground is missing from some modern games. If you think about it, being able to drop items is taking a lesson from sandbox games and giving players the ability to change things in the environment.