PDA

View Full Version : Please just remove boats and put ports in [Blue AND Red]

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Please.

30~ min wait for a boat is insane. Then the ride itself is another 15~ I've done the boat trips several times on both severs and in terms of just sitting around doing nothing I could log easily 4~ hours.

"But but...MAH CLASSIC"

It will hardly kill the market for ports -

Blue - Every druid/wiz is 99% of the time AFK at East Commons or simply will flat out refuse to respond.
Red - Server population simply too low and what Druids/Wizards are available may not want to even port anyone due to fear of being PKed at Rings.

Please just put ports in. The time I could spend getting to the other side of the world and exping and playing the game would skyrocket and it'd prevent me from logging off due to frustration of waiting around mindlessly. Please in the interest of self-sufficiency.

Blue is absolutely lethargic to grouping at times as well and finding a group is insane so you are forced to solo at times as well. God Forbid you are the same class as someone else in a zone thats in a group.

I understand you want to keep things a certain way for your no lifer poop sock raiders and hardcores, but come the f on. Ports at Boat Locations is ALL I ask for.

Somekid123
09-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Nope, not happening.

khanable
09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
NOT CLASSIC

I didn't read the OP

rictus204
09-16-2014, 08:17 PM
http://torbid.tljhome.com/everquest/eq021.jpg

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Nope, not happening.

Thanks for your compelling argument.

loramin
I understand you want to keep things a certain way for your no lifer poop sock raiders and hardcores, but come the f on. Ports at Boat Locations is ALL I ask for.

You sir are on the wrong server. This is the server for people who want to play classic Everquest, or at least mostly classic Everquest. In other words, this server will add levitation to make the non-functional boats function, but it will not convert them in to giant pandas, or ports, or anything else un-classic.

If you don't like that the correct response is not to beg here, but to go find another server you'll be happier on.

Recycleb1n
NOT CLASSIC

I didn't read the OP

The server population isn't classic.

khanable
09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
You're welcome

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
You sir are on the wrong server. This is the server for people who want to play classic Everquest, or at least mostly classic Everquest. In other words, this server will add levitation to make the non-functional boats function, but it will not convert them in to giant pandas, or ports, or anything else un-classic.

If you don't like that the correct response is not to beg here, but to go find another server you'll be happier on.

Why do I remember ports between boat locations then. :confused:

Thanks for providing a compelling argument with zero substance.

loramin
09-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Because you did not play in the classic era? Look man-child, you can dispute what people tell you all you want, it's not going to do you any good. Go away, no one wants you here, and clearly you don't want to be here either. Or at least you won't want to once you wrap your head around what this server is.

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:23 PM
. but it will not convert them in to giant pandas, or ports, or anything else un-classic.

Who exactly is the man child.

You are the one screaming NO. Literally kicking and screaming NO.

loramin
09-16-2014, 08:25 PM
No one is screaming; do you see all caps in anyone's response? But we are all telling you the same thing, and like a small child you are essentially ignoring it and responding with "nah nah nah I don't have to listen".

rictus204
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
How often do you need to ride the boat anyway? You need to commute from crushbone to blackburrow 5 times daily? /who all dial a port and find a ride. The boat rides are here to stay, i guarantee it!

khanable
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
typing intensifies

TOO MANY COMPELLING ARGUMENTS

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:28 PM
How often do you need to ride the boat anyway? You need to commute from crushbone to blackburrow 5 times daily? /who all dial a port and find a ride. The boat rides are here to stay, i guarantee it!

Every single time ive had to use the boat, its a guaranteed 25-30~ min wait.

I don't recall the boat waits every being this pain painstakingly bad ever in classic.

khanable
09-16-2014, 08:29 PM
I don't recall the boat waits every being this pain painstakingly bad ever in classic.

CLASSIC

Tuffpuppy
09-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Everquest doesnt seem to be your type of game. Maybe you would prefer world of warcraft or hello kitty online perhaps?

Ele
09-16-2014, 08:34 PM
NOT CLASSIC

I didn't read the OP

Tasslehofp99
09-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Probably because you played during a post-classic era.

Try another server.

rgostic
09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Everquest doesnt seem to be your type of game. Maybe you would prefer world of warcraft or hello kitty online perhaps?

This.

You do not belong on this server if you're bothered so much by the boats. Please pick one of the many other servers on the EQEmu server list that is not classic.

ctechguy
09-16-2014, 08:44 PM
I highly recommend Dial-A-Port. Player driven solutions to simple problems are often good ones.

Glenzig
09-16-2014, 08:45 PM

Every single time I waited for the boat on live it was the same amount of time. Travel is slow in classic EQ. The only way to speed it up is to get a port. If you don't want slow travel, then try to limit the amount of times you change continents.

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Lol.

It's funny, I personally think it'd make the servers prosper too. Grow a little even. I started Kunark era, had a druid (fungi, mana crystal, the works) + warrior (but I duo'd, however not allowed to duo here, even though its classic) so I guess i'm confused as to why we get to pick and choose whats classic and whats not.

Oh right, because Hardcore Poop Sock individuals get to determine it with severe leanings towards asperger syndrome. Not average joe schmoe who did play Kunark/Velious and likes to be self sufficient and would rather not type in LFG for the 12th time into OOC because most of the sever that's level 50-60 with ultra twink alts don't group.

Nah. It's got nothing to do with hard or easy. It's about it being quality of life suggestion. I am completely uncompelled as to how the suggestion affects you in any way, shape or form. Especially since I can't log two accounts in even though its CLASSIC.

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately that's the sentiment of the entire server. You can't have classic zones, with classic npcs, with all the classic farming, without all of the endless amount of throwing your life away, and spending way too much time on a video game.Of course 80% of them also have buddies to PL any and every new alt up to 60 in a couple days, but they'd rather keep the asylum full of antisocial sociopaths, rather than have any sort of middle ground. There's just so much skill and finesse that goes into killing 2,000,000 npcs instead of 750,000; if you don't believe that, talk to all the hybrids that DON'T want to see the penalties go away. It's hilarious to watch people defend that like it's some achievement.

There's a reason games don't have boat rides anymore, it was a fucking waste of time after the FIRST time you encountered them and MAYBE got that "Oooooohhh wowwww, look at that!" Literally every other time was, "Oh god oh god here comes the zone line, FUCKING ZONE FUCKING LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD, GOD DAMMIT I MISSED THE BOAT AND NOW IM FUCKING STUCK IN THE TIMOROUS DEEP". Anyone who wants to dispute that is clearly too high on elf nostalgia. Boats were, and always will be, worthless timesinks.

Grats guys, you spend all your time playing EQ. What a win.

Fucken THIS ^

Antisocial Sociopaths with twinked out alts/mains screaming : NO

khanable
09-16-2014, 08:52 PM
NO!

Glenzig
09-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately that's the sentiment of the entire server. You can't have classic zones, with classic npcs, with all the classic farming, without all of the endless amount of throwing your life away, and spending way too much time on a video game.Of course 80% of them also have buddies to PL any and every new alt up to 60 in a couple days, but they'd rather keep the asylum full of antisocial sociopaths, rather than have any sort of middle ground. There's just so much skill and finesse that goes into killing 2,000,000 npcs instead of 750,000; if you don't believe that, talk to all the hybrids that DON'T want to see the penalties go away. It's hilarious to watch people defend that like it's some achievement.

There's a reason games don't have boat rides anymore, it was a fucking waste of time after the FIRST time you encountered them and MAYBE got that "Oooooohhh wowwww, look at that!" Literally every other time was, "Oh god oh god here comes the zone line, FUCKING ZONE FUCKING LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD, GOD DAMMIT I MISSED THE BOAT AND NOW IM FUCKING STUCK IN THE TIMOROUS DEEP". Anyone who wants to dispute that is clearly too high on elf nostalgia. Boats were, and always will be, worthless timesinks.

You could always start your own server with instaports to all zones and 10,000% XP modifiers. I'm sure it will be a resounding success. Make sure you run it on servers that can handle at least 5 million players. You'll probably need to host at least ten different servers the first year, and I would plan on doubling that within the next two years. Let us know when you're up and running so we can all be liberated from this asylum.

Kender
09-16-2014, 08:53 PM
i love the boats. makes getting places a journey. I've refused ports when i was travelling for training, preferring to take the boat

rictus204
09-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Let us know when you're up and running so we can all be liberated from this asylum.

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:55 PM
You could always start your own server with instaports to all zones and 10,000% XP modifiers. I'm sure it will be a resounding success. Make sure you run it on servers that can handle at least 5 million players. You'll probably need to host at least ten different servers the first year, and I would plan on doubling that within the next two years. Let us know when you're up and running so we can all be liberated from this asylum.

Way to strawman it with requests that were never made. (10k% exp mods)

:rolleyes:

Glenzig
09-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Lol.

It's funny, I personally think it'd make the servers prosper too. Grow a little even. I started Kunark era, had a druid (fungi, mana crystal, the works) + warrior (but I duo'd, however not allowed to duo here, even though its classic) so I guess i'm confused as to why we get to pick and choose whats classic and whats not.

Oh right, because Hardcore Poop Sock individuals get to determine it with severe leanings towards asperger syndrome. Not average joe schmoe who did play Kunark/Velious and likes to be self sufficient and would rather not type in LFG for the 12th time into OOC because most of the sever that's level 50-60 with ultra twink alts don't group.

Nah. It's got nothing to do with hard or easy. It's about it being quality of life suggestion. I am completely uncompelled as to how the suggestion affects you in any way, shape or form. Especially since I can't log two accounts in even though its CLASSIC.

The staff gets to decide, not the player base. If you don't believe that read the thread about the target window con color change. The poopsockers were definitely not for that.

Recycleb1n
09-16-2014, 08:57 PM
The staff gets to decide, not the player base. If you don't believe that read the thread about the target window con color change. The poopsockers were definitely not for that.

Yeah...im not sure how the con color change affects me.

Classic or not.

Im still waiting for an argument as to how ports affect your game play experience. :cool:

khanable
09-16-2014, 09:01 PM
NO!

Potus
09-16-2014, 09:03 PM

I miss this boat.

Kender
09-16-2014, 09:04 PM

Classic or not.

Im still waiting for an argument as to how ports affect your game play experience. :cool:

boats is a gameplay experience. instant ports takes away the journey

Glenzig
09-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Classic or not.

Ports only affect my game play experience when I get them from a druid or wizard. Having instaport hubs would affect everyone. It would trivialize travel. It would water down the overall experience of classic everquest, which is what I thought people played on this server for. It would severely affect two classes in the game that are currently the only means of fast travel. Plus, it just isn't what this server is about. No one cares if it is inconvenient for you to either use boats or get a port. Its part of the game, take it or leave it.

Ravager
09-16-2014, 09:08 PM
I agree with OP, the boat in OOT should be replaced with 2 classic appropriate boats and all the boats should be fixed where the levitate bandaid isn't necessary anymore.

That's what he was getting at, right?

Potus
09-16-2014, 09:27 PM
I agree with OP, the boat in OOT should be replaced with 2 classic appropriate boats and all the boats should be fixed where the levitate bandaid isn't necessary anymore.

That's what he was getting at, right?

Yup, of course! Let's get this shit classic.

Portasaurus
09-16-2014, 09:43 PM
I only play this game for the boats, as do MANY MANY others who play on this server.

OP's suggestion would result in literally thousands of people who love boats to stop playing this game.

Conclusion: Boats for president

http://s7.postimg.org/ba6mazlob/baotsparoprez.jpg

jpetrick
09-16-2014, 10:01 PM
I really like boats because when my guild jumps down from sky its hilarious when someone hits the boat and then gets zoned into OOT

Hogfather
09-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately that's the sentiment of the entire server
So are we all wrong and need to change, or do you need to find a server that better fits what you want from EQ?

Edit: oh and if you have access to levi, Timorous Deep is a great alternative to Boats imo.

Bboboo
09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Get your free handouts here (https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/)

toolshed
09-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Instant travel makes the world seem smaller. Requiring a porter for instant travel makes the player base interact with one-another, which is good.

but people in this thread are still poop sockers with asbergers, I agree.

Kender
09-16-2014, 11:06 PM
So are we all wrong and need to change, or do you need to find a server that better fits what you want from EQ?

Edit: oh and if you have access to levi, Timorous Deep is a great alternative to Boats imo.

good luck getting there without getting on a boat

Hogfather
09-17-2014, 12:01 AM
good luck getting there without getting on a boat
It was pretty clear what I meant.

Kaleadar
09-17-2014, 12:14 AM

here I will help you with this and add some substance. First off if you joined Feb 2013 then you do NOT remember ports between boat locations on P99. If you joined WAY back when, when the server launched on P99 then you WOULD remember ports between boat locations. This was only because boats were sooooo broken on EQemu as a whole. Because of this the ports were only used as a work around until our development team was able to crack the code. After that came tears of joy.

I think any feature that took the hours put in, the man power, and combined community knowledge to recreate will not be removed from the server.

Just a piece of P99 History
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18892&highlight=boats+fixed

rgostic
09-17-2014, 12:16 AM

This server is for people who find enjoyment in the struggle, as well as finding ways to mitigate it that not all players may have access to. I don't wait for boats because I play a druid, and he is bound in OOT. Boats keep the population suppressed in places like the Spiroc tower, Dino Island, or Seafuries, giving players a choice to go out of their way to kill monsters in a less congested environment than what would exist without boats.

I have no idea what you're talking about with your desperation to load; it sounds like a personal problem. There are thousands of games to choose from for people like you who don't appreciate dealing with the sorts of challenges that classic EQ presents. Go play those and stop whining. This server isn't for you, so stop acting so entitled.

Kender
09-17-2014, 01:25 AM
It was pretty clear what I meant.

of course you meant firepots. however you cant get to TD unless you take a boat

Hogfather
09-17-2014, 02:19 AM
of course you meant firepots. however you cant get to TD unless you take a boat
Where did I say that there was no boat travel involved?

iruinedyourday
09-17-2014, 02:20 AM
The server population isn't classic.

all that matters is those newbs that just found p99 and are like, 'god i hope i can wait for a boat again, oh man i miss eq so much!'

Reguiy
09-17-2014, 03:20 AM
in terms of just sitting around doing nothing I could log easily 4~ hours.

Welcome to Everquest. May I take your order?

Glasken
09-17-2014, 03:29 AM
I miss this boat.

I too miss the CLASSIC boat. The ones we have on this server are not the boats from classic-velious.

hightower187
09-17-2014, 04:25 AM
It's a free server, stop whining and wait for boats like the rest of us.

myriverse
09-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Working as intended. In 2000, we waited 30 minutes between boats. Or we got a friend to port us.

And if we caught the boat, we prayed to Tarew Marr that it would be a "safe trip."

Edit: Look, I'm one of the biggest anti-guild, anti-raid, anti-sock people you could ever meet. The boats have nothing to do with that scene.

Titanx
09-17-2014, 08:21 AM
If it was classic, the boats wouldn't go the wrong routes.

Taking boat from FP to BB, the first stop was Sister Isle, not the one with the merchants and nothing else.

While the boats now currently go the "correct" route, these are not the classic routes the boats took.

Champion_Standing
09-17-2014, 08:27 AM

I want this! the real classic boat, would rather see translocators at the docks again than the hideous monstrosity that is currently traversing OOT.

Hitpoint
09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
No. Make boats better, if anything.

Stormlight
09-17-2014, 08:30 AM
I've taken boats 5-10 in the last month. 2 of them failed to get me where I was going. Sure it sucked, and I'd rather they were reliable, but I still want to keep them. Why would anyone on a classic EQ server not want boats?

Daldaen
09-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Boats confirmed classic. Boats confirmed good for P99.

Champion_Standing
09-17-2014, 08:36 AM
who really takes a boat unless you are going to OOT anyway? I think most people here are so anti classic traveling that they would rather sit in BB/WC and beg for a port for 2 hours than just wait for the boat.

Daldaen
09-17-2014, 08:46 AM
who really takes a boat unless you are going to OOT anyway? I think most people here are so anti classic traveling that they would rather sit in BB/WC and beg for a port for 2 hours than just wait for the boat.

Isn't that the truth :/.

People take boat for OoT and TD. Rarely you will see lower levels making an extremely classic journey from one continent to the other on boats. That's some legit 1999 play right there.

Glenzig
09-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Isn't that the truth :/.

People take boat for OoT and TD. Rarely you will see lower levels making an extremely classic journey from one continent to the other on boats. That's some legit 1999 play right there.

I take the boat all the time. Especially to Kunark, since its actually about the same amount of annoyance running from the butt end of DL to most places. Any time I'm going from Faydwer to Antonica I sit at the docks and grab a port if one is available. If not I take the boat. I like ha Ing to put time into travel. It makes me think twice about whether or not I actually want to switch XP spots or not. In any instatravel type game I've ever played I always end up jumping around too much and it actually ends up slowing me down.

Stormfists
09-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I love boats. It's a shame there is so much content in between.

If it were up to me this would be a MMOAT... upon which there would be a boat.

Swish
09-17-2014, 09:22 AM
There's a custom server waiting to happen where the world is an extension of OOT, you need a boat to get anywhere to experience any content at all ;)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Is this a troll thread?

PhilPhans
09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Please.

30~ min wait for a boat is insane. Then the ride itself is another 15~ I've done the boat trips several times on both severs and in terms of just sitting around doing nothing I could log easily 4~ hours.

"But but...MAH CLASSIC"

Blue - Every druid/wiz is 99% of the time AFK at East Commons or simply will flat out refuse to respond.
Red - Server population simply too low and what Druids/Wizards are available may not want to even port anyone due to fear of being PKed at Rings.

Please just put ports in. The time I could spend getting to the other side of the world and exping and playing the game would skyrocket and it'd prevent me from logging off due to frustration of waiting around mindlessly. Please in the interest of self-sufficiency.

Blue is absolutely lethargic to grouping at times as well and finding a group is insane so you are forced to solo at times as well. God Forbid you are the same class as someone else in a zone thats in a group.

They started on a project to make this as classic as possible. I think they did a good job. Everquest was meant to be slow , enjoy the scenary and group interaction. Not insta get to where ever you want to go and box 3 toons. The rules and world they put together is enjoyed by many. This is a FREE server. There are other options out there if you want to change where you spend your time to be more efficient.

Also I don't fit into your class of hardcorp raider on the server and i wore newbie zone gear for the longest time. I wasn't PL'd and still haven't cracked level 50. Go to Sony live server forums and see the countless threads of people asking for a classic server. This includes boats. Sony won't spend the time to do. These folk did. On Live Translocaters weren't put in as a convenience to the user base. They were put in cause they didn't want to spend the time fixing the boats. They put in translocators in whenever there is a problem. Hell i remember them putting an NPC in Guild hall cause they broke the zoneline to POK.

Boats are classic. Do I enjoy sitting there waiting. sometimes i do sometimes i don't it's part of the game and the experience. No one is forcing you to play here.

douglas1999
09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
This thread sucks even more than waiting for a boat in everquest.

fishingme
09-17-2014, 09:57 AM
There used to be ports at all the docks on p99 when the devs couldn't figure out how to make the boats work.

Thulack
09-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Make some friends jesus. I've taken a boat on p99 between BB and FP maybe 3 times in 3 and half years.

forensic
09-17-2014, 11:04 AM
I've taken the boat tons of times, especially the boat from Erudin to Qeynos. Boating from Erudin to Qeynos is faster than trying to find a port to NK.

Boats should be fixed so that they are like the classic boats--with hitpoints, a little ramp, an underdeck place to eat, etc.

Boats are the most classic fucking thing ever and they should be the #1 priority to make them just like classic :}

Whirled
09-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Is this a troll thread?

How about leaving a few rowboats around for a month or so?
When the big ship returns people will praise it =D

Jauna
09-17-2014, 11:21 AM
1.) Stop messaging druids/wizards in EC, good chance they are AFK, selling/buying and dont want to be bothered. also dont tell them to go anonymous
2.) Tip bigger. Every time I see someone who tips more then 50p I write their name down and port them most of the time when they ask. If I see a 5p tip from a level 50 I put you on the no fly list. You may not get told you are on a No Fly list because itll just stirr up more forum shit.. but good chance you are shitlisted.
3.) Classic as fuck
4.) Ask yourself whats more important, waiting 30 minutes for the boat, and then 15 minutes to ride it, or tipping 10-20p from some kind* person.
5.) I cant think of one time where a forum post from an angry individual changed my life.

*Not always kind, doing it for the plat or gemstones

harnold
09-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Lol you know all those raid guilds need those boats... what the fuck are you talking about? lol

Abner
09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
If I don't have the plat for a tip for a port, I ride the boat. If I do, I get a port. TADAA!

kotton05
09-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Nope, not happening.

/thread

Utmost
09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Can always do something else while u wait for the boat like, I dunno, maybe make a delicious nutritious dessert for the family?

Thulack
09-17-2014, 01:08 PM
/gems

Zadrian
09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
The guy hasn't posted. Pretty sure this is /thread.

#Lolsorryyoucan'thaveinstaportsbrah

sox7d
09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
bait

Man0warr
09-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Boats working isn't classic. Riding a boat was a shitshow in classic.

loramin
09-17-2014, 02:52 PM
/gems

forensic
09-17-2014, 02:57 PM

But they worked in that they were kinda there. Just stuff would happen like:

- getting attacked on the boat by a shark and you can't fight back
- falling through the boat into the ocean and having to gate, swim, or die
- taking too long to zone and the boat leaving before you actually zoned, causing the boat to leave without you and you sitting in the middle of the ocean
- people /dueling on the boats causing all kinds of strange issues

what else?

Dior
09-17-2014, 03:03 PM
http://s30.postimg.org/hcmf386dt/ITip_My_Fedor_m_Boat.png
This about sums up the thread ya?

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-17-2014, 03:15 PM
http://s30.postimg.org/hcmf386dt/ITip_My_Fedor_m_Boat.png
This about sums up the thread ya?

Made me spit our my Capri sun

murrpau
09-17-2014, 03:18 PM
1) roll a druid or wizard
2) 2cool4boatz

myriverse
09-17-2014, 03:21 PM
But they worked in that they were kinda there. Just stuff would happen like:

- getting attacked on the boat by a shark and you can't fight back
- falling through the boat into the ocean and having to gate, swim, or die
- taking too long to zone and the boat leaving before you actually zoned, causing the boat to leave without you and you sitting in the middle of the ocean
- people /dueling on the boats causing all kinds of strange issues

what else?
Another thing: They weren't always kinda there. Quite often they would be down.

papercolor
09-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Adding ports to the boat locations is the exactly why modern MMOs suck. Oh it takes this long to travel from point A to point B? Its too dangerous? Lets just add a port at point A to point B.

Oh you dont know where the quests are? Lets add a HUGE glowing "?" above the quest NPC.

Oh you dont have any Idea where to go? Lets make a map, add POIs and then give you a arrow pointing in that direction.

Oh you messed up when you created your guy? Lets just let everyone flip flop to what ever class they want when ever they want.

Oh you think that gear is ugly? or you dont like the way this looks? Lets just add an npc or menu so you can make your guy look how ever you want.

These ideas destroyed the unforgiving worlds that we once loved. UO, EQ and a few others.

Doil_Boil
09-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Anything else, your majesty?

Daldaen
09-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Made me spit our my Capri sun

How was your soccer practice, Jimmy?

Hitpoint
09-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Working boats was one of the first things that drew me to this server.

Kender
09-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Where did I say that there was no boat travel involved?

you said TD is an alternative to boats. how can it be an alternative if you have to take a boat to get there?

Kender
09-17-2014, 05:30 PM

actually boats worked fine in classic. they didnt start breaking till the luclin era when they started changing the graphics engine

khanable
09-17-2014, 05:51 PM
actually boats worked fine in classic. they didnt start breaking till the luclin era when they started changing the graphics engine

Untrue, they were always shitty

I can dig up some posts but I found a few from early 2000 of people complaining of the wait and how they'd break and you'd have to petition and shit

Kender
09-17-2014, 06:02 PM

I can dig up some posts but I found a few from early 2000 of people complaining of the wait and how they'd break and you'd have to petition and shit

maybe i was lucky then. i never had an issue with boats

Crom
09-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Actually...every time the boats got bugged, they put in "porting gnomes" untill they fixed the boats again...so it is as classic to have porting gnomes as it is to have boats...(but they were only ingame when boats didn't work if I remember correct)

Swish
09-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Boats working as intended in Archeage, perhaps we could learn a thing or two?

http://i59.tinypic.com/33jn7o2.jpg

Ravager
09-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Are boats gone yet?

Haloren
09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

If you've been in EC for more than five minutes you will see someone standing around ooc'ing many times for a port to Lavastorm or Sro. They are 2-3 zones over. Thats lazy and ridiculous. Even for those that are in a hurry to get to a group or a target. By the time you actually get a public port you could have probably already been there. I would almost venture to say the same about taking a boat depending on the time of day given how many times ive used a boat.

As a player who has a 50+ Druid AND ports many people all the time, I take the boats on my other characters. I may take a port here or there but I enjoy the boats too. Sometimes I will get there and to my luck here it comes. Other times i'm like "oh come on, how long does it take" That's classic.

Adding porters do not solve your or anyone else's problems of maximizing your time on when playing. Get a port if you don't want to spend your time using the boats. I choose to spend my time using the boats. no one is preventing you from finding a druid or forcing you to use them.

Quality of life suggestion...hmm. Well, things are always better in the future. But, we have chosen to spend our time in the past. A specific past for better or worse. And as much as I have complaints about things that I wish there was on the server that aren't technically classic. I am happy with the server very much. You could enjoy the freedom on another server but you wont have the classic discipline (yes i know of the caveats) we have here.

Cheers to the folks who fixed the boats.

Okay back to my 1999 coma.

Buellen
09-18-2014, 02:47 AM
OP and those who support him

when you started here you did see the title project 1999 right ? you did read the information on front page and the rest of the stuff about this server and what it is about right ? you understood the goals of the server admin are trying to reach right ? (if not see my sig for the quote)

During original release , kunark, and velious THEIR WAS NO PORTING GNOMES. if a boat broke you waited, found a port , and or found something else to do where you was at.

I am also not a raider or hard core I have leveled my war from 1 to 50 and have traveled by boats many many many times. IF you do not like boats and or paying for port then i highly recommend you pick a class/race the starts where you want to level 1 to whatever level you wish to adventure here too, without having to take a boat or paying for a port.

Leveling a warrior i knew i would be running /swimming everywhere I wanted to go. I made the decision at level 14 to set my self up in fiona vie as my main bind point. I did this because i would be take the boat to timorous and swimming to fire pots chamber to port myself to wherever i needed. Ina all the level from 14 to 50 i have done the swim to fire pot chamber many many many …. times and only ever got killed once because i swam to close to raptor island.

—-how to swim to fire pot from fiona vie —
take boat (if you have to wait fish , do laundry , clean your office etc till boat arrives)
when boat zone in jump of the west side and swim south west till you reach neg 10500 the North /south number of LOC command.
swim directly west till you reach positive 4000 in East / West part of LOC command, and start to swim south you will quickly come to the sunken spire marking the fire pot room.
have a handy map of the fire pot room so you can quickly zone to where you need to go or just memorize it like idid after so many trips.

Evia
09-18-2014, 02:52 AM
No boat rides? Are you mad? might as well bring in the POP expansion pack because the whole "insta teleport" aspect kills my immersion. I like feeling like I'm playing in a "living breathing fantasy world" and the long boat rides (unfortunately, sometimes) play into that.

kaev
09-18-2014, 03:28 AM

There was definitely some craziness with boats pre-Kunark, lots of players would bank their gear before taking boat from FP to BBM or vice versa. GMs tended to turn a deaf ear to boat problems (like getting murdered by sharks and cyclopses).

Natoria
09-18-2014, 04:31 AM
The 1st Ports where implimented with Luclin. You had 4 Spires spread on the continents that port you up to luclin. Later with PoP you could just use stones/bookes to get from a to b.
Later they removed the boats and just added NPC's at the docks to port you to the zone.

But that was all post-velious.

Crom
09-18-2014, 04:44 AM
OP and those who support him

when you started here you did see the title project 1999 right ? you did read the information on front page and the rest of the stuff about this server and what it is about right ? you understood the goals of the server admin are trying to reach right ? (if not see my sig for the quote)

During original release , kunark, and velious THEIR WAS NO PORTING GNOMES. if a boat broke you waited, found a port , and or found something else to do where you was at.

I am also not a raider or hard core I have leveled my war from 1 to 50 and have traveled by boats many many many times. IF you do not like boats and or paying for port then i highly recommend you pick a class/race the starts where you want to level 1 to whatever level you wish to adventure here too, without having to take a boat or paying for a port.

Leveling a warrior i knew i would be running /swimming everywhere I wanted to go. I made the decision at level 14 to set my self up in fiona vie as my main bind point. I did this because i would be take the boat to timorous and swimming to fire pots chamber to port myself to wherever i needed. Ina all the level from 14 to 50 i have done the swim to fire pot chamber many many many …. times and only ever got killed once because i swam to close to raptor island.

—-how to swim to fire pot from fiona vie —
take boat (if you have to wait fish , do laundry , clean your office etc till boat arrives)
when boat zone in jump of the west side and swim south west till you reach neg 10500 the North /south number of LOC command.
swim directly west till you reach positive 4000 in East / West part of LOC command, and start to swim south you will quickly come to the sunken spire marking the fire pot room.
have a handy map of the fire pot room so you can quickly zone to where you need to go or just memorize it like idid after so many trips.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, they did have a feature (if it was gomes or just guides that played porters I can't be sure) that was used when boats broke down and they chouldn't fix em fast.
they later around 2004 I think it was made static porting gnomes but before that they had ways of dealing with boats being broken for long durations)

Whirled
09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
I think after Velious is released it'll be nice to be able to TL people and make some lives easier I think is where this thread is going. The boat does take some time but you can always go get a snack, bio break, take screen shots, pick your friends nose, etc...

Thulack
09-18-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry but you are wrong, they did have a feature (if it was gomes or just guides that played porters I can't be sure) that was used when boats broke down and they chouldn't fix em fast.
they later around 2004 I think it was made static porting gnomes but before that they had ways of dealing with boats being broken for long durations)

Pretty sure the gnomes werent around during classic or kunark even during breakdowns.

Doil_Boil
09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Pretty sure the gnomes werent around during classic or kunark even during breakdowns.

Agreed. I never remember them pre velious or so.

Crom
09-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I think after Velious is released it'll be nice to be able to TL people and make some lives easier I think is where this thread is going. The boat does take some time but you can always go get a snack, bio break, take screen shots, pick your friends nose, etc...

or just make em faster / add another boat.

Crom
09-18-2014, 09:35 AM

the static gnomes was not but the porting service was atleast on bertoxx server
Maybe we had nicer guides/gm's but I did get free porting service when the boats didn't work. Being a poor dwarf cleric, I didn't trust em good for nothing nuke crazed wizzys and tree hugging droids with my well being! (not to mention I sure as hell wasn't going to give em my plat!)

Whirled
09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
or just make em faster / add another boat.

...and shared bank slots too.
:D
I'm not advocating for any of this (^well maybe the shared bank slots) but it sure does make for some funny images of someone para-sailing through OoT.

Rec
09-18-2014, 09:43 AM
only things non classic i want are focus effects, soul binders, and melody

Whirled
09-18-2014, 09:51 AM

/agree, soul binders was a big help for everyone.

mtb tripper
09-18-2014, 09:53 AM
boats very necessary on red server.

Daldaen
09-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Focus Effects were a glorious addition to the game. They added chase items similar to melee haste that greatly increased caster performance.

myriverse
09-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Indeed, they were not.

As for this "quality of life" crap: Having boats instead of instaports is quality! It's such relaxing fun to take a boat ride. Rather that than speedy stuff.

Are boats gone yet?
Yes. You have to swim it now.

Nah. I kid.

PDX0621
09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
I think we need to organize a big community boat ride in celebration of boats and all that is boaty.

Halius
09-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I think we need to organize a big community boat ride in celebration of boats and all that is boaty.

^^ I second this motion.

LulzSect
09-18-2014, 02:13 PM
not classic

iruinedyourday
09-18-2014, 02:18 PM

^^ I second this motion.

I would also like to express my appreciation for this particular beer.

PDX0621
09-18-2014, 08:44 PM
So....we doin' this thing or what? If we can get a time/place together ahead of time, I can provide rides.

iruinedyourday
09-18-2014, 08:47 PM
in!

Captiv8
09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Im on a Boat! EQ style

Llodd
09-19-2014, 04:21 AM
OP missed the boat?

If only boats could batphone. That would be handy.

mropey
09-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Hahaha! Go back to EZ Server. WOW!

Lagaidh
09-19-2014, 04:55 PM
i love the boats. makes getting places a journey. I've refused ports when i was travelling for training, preferring to take the boat

Ditto.

Sometimes after I /ooc or /shout for a port and nobody responds, I just take off on foot. More than once I've lied and said that I got my ride when a porter finally responded after I'd gotten underway.

Here and in the old days, I've run Lag's tatertot legs into the dirt in journeys from Faydwer to Halas and back, and the only point to the journey was to go.

It's one of the EQ playstyles: meanderer.

There's a lot of lamentation about the hardcore player, to mention one other style. I haven't met too many of a 3rd type I know: true roleplayers. My favorite was a fellow in live. He played a dwarf alcoholic. He would beg coppers and silvers off of players and then run right to the nearest NPC selling booze to drink up the alms.

I guess I'm a meanderer here. I was sort of a meanderer in live, and a time-starved hardcore player at the same time. I wanted to do what the hardcore did, and had the skills, but never the time.

I may just have to log in and start running.

frantz256255
09-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Please.

"But but...MAH CLASSIC"

If you are not happy.....get-out of this server if your not happy......

Extunarian
09-19-2014, 07:18 PM
I may just have to log in and start running.

http://i.imgur.com/17halcD.png

iruinedyourday
09-19-2014, 07:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/17halcD.png

paper machete best halloween costume ever.

"im a dwarf/forest gump from a fourm thread about project 1999"

Nietche
09-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Lol.

It's funny, I personally think it'd make the servers prosper too. Grow a little even.

The server prospers because it is as classic it can be. It is the reason most of us quit WoW. We wanted to play a real game, that is hard, and doesn't pander to pussies like you.

Boxing destroys gameplay for people who want to group. It's funny that you decry twinks for that specific reason yet tout boxing which has the same effect.

Dualform
09-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Boats > Ports

Ports are jarring, you don't get a sense of scale or adventure and you don't meet anyone along the way - if you don't like taking the boat then don't !

Glasken
09-20-2014, 04:27 AM
One thing I will note however is that the boats we currently have are not the classic boats. Its my one complaint about them. Velious era, between FP and BB there were two boats running at any one time (sometimes they would even get bugged and spawn on top of one another). Usually when one was rolling up to FP, the other was arriving in BB. They also had different graphics from the one we see on the server today. I wish there was a way to bring them back.

As far as insta ports and soulbinders and such, go play live.

derpcake
09-20-2014, 06:18 AM
I took the boat today and enjoyed it.

It was there just as I arrived at the docks. Classic ftw.

Glasken
09-20-2014, 07:18 AM
I took the boat just now in TD to OT. Service was prompt and without issue.

+1 would boat again.

myriverse
09-20-2014, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1Fz9LWFtg

t0lkien
09-21-2014, 07:39 AM
<Another recycled argument for a non-classic, world reducing "feature" that has progressively destroyed the entire MMO genre, and made p99 so attractive in contrast>

*Mutters about frogs and boiling water...*

Vladesch
09-21-2014, 08:34 AM
you said TD is an alternative to boats. how can it be an alternative if you have to take a boat to get there?

Barge from oasis is an alternative because it's about a 5 min wait. Still faster with the run down to the sw corner of zone.
Sadly BB-Timorous isn't really a good alternative.

Boats were superceded first with spires and later with POT stones for a reason. The majority felt the same way as the OP.
However here I imagine the majority here probably want the boats to stay in so the OP should probably just accept that and move on.
I would probably personally vote for teleporters, however I can appreciate how the shrinking of the world sort of killed a lot of the game's atmosphere.

I rather like the system that the first time you go somewhere you have to make it on foot. After that you can insta teleport there.
A bit like how the flight paths in WOW worked.

Also I think if there weren't as many tight wads on this server you might find more druids and wizards available.

t0lkien
09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
I rather like the system that the first time you go somewhere you have to make it on foot. After that you can insta teleport there.
A bit like how the flight paths in WOW worked.

An example closer to your meaning is Diablo.

As you pointed out, insta-teleporting reduces and trivializes the world size unless it's linked directly to gameplay - as it is in classic EQ. You can teleport, just find a class that can take you and know the portal locations i.e. engage with the game world. I still think EQ's is the most elegant, class-affirming, world enriching portal system yet designed.

Boats are time consuming by design (and make the world feel more like a world - I was blown away the first time I crossed OOT).

Swish
09-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Most of these "ideas" come from the min/max, buy up orc scalp/CB belts/CB pads type crowd who want the classic experience but will shortcut "the journey to 60" at every available opportunity.... with their MQ'd epics and "can anyone port me from EC to South Ro?" shouts.

If that sounds like you, why log in? If the answer is "I already did it fully on my first character" then I'd suggest you're burnt out and need a break :p

Aadill
09-21-2014, 09:56 AM
By waiting for boats you have to consider whether or not you want to stay in the area you are in, or if you want to find a way to get out of there. I agree with t0lkien, this game makes it so that classes are unique.

Portasaurus
09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Buy a fishing pole, some bait, and prepare for a whole new level of entertainment that you couldn't possibly imagine while you wait for your own PERSONAL CRUISE SHIP. /cough

Just please -- for the love of Karana -- mind your beer while you're reeling in your line.

EQ: Probably the most difficult and underrated fishing sim of all time

Esheon
09-21-2014, 01:54 PM
..."can anyone port me from EC to South Ro?" shouts...

Side note... A few days ago I actually saw someone in EC strip off all their armor before shouting "anyone port to LS for CR?" I stopped to drive-by sow them while they were stripping, and still had them targeted when they did the /shout :rolleyes:

myriverse
09-21-2014, 02:27 PM
*Mutters about frogs and boiling water...*
Mmmm... More frogs! More boiling water!

Swish
09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Side note... A few days ago I actually saw someone in EC strip off all their armor before shouting "anyone port to LS for CR?" I stopped to drive-by sow them while they were stripping, and still had them targeted when they did the /shout :rolleyes:

ugh, how low can they go? lol

Vladesch
09-22-2014, 12:40 AM
EQ: Probably the most difficult and underrated fishing sim of all time

Heh, try Lineage 2 fishing.

Necran
09-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Boats4Lyfe.

Hogfather
09-22-2014, 09:40 PM
It is an alternative to boats, because you will generally use fewer of them for your journey, and the Oasis boat is a much shorter wait than others. Oasis boat => TD is an *alternative* to the OOT boat.

The TD portals also skip several zones that you must walk through when using standard boat travel.

EIther you don't understand this (if you;re new to p1999 that's OK) or you are being a pedantic little shit.

titanshub
09-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Listen, some of us role-play as aspiring boat captains. If Boat-Quest is removed I will ragequit so hard you don't even know.

Grizzled
09-23-2014, 10:14 AM
If the boats were classic they would be broken every month or less.

PDX0621
09-23-2014, 10:30 AM
What if they brought back Casino's.....but only while one boats....thoughts?

Whirled
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
What if they brought back Casino's.....but only while one boats....thoughts?

So each boat ride is RNG to success in making it to destination or not?

or you mean make insides of boats look like Highpass casino type thing?

PDX0621
09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
or you mean make insides of boats look like Highpass casino type thing?

More like this. Allow any/all forms of gambling, but only while underway on boats. That way you could pacify the whiners comparing the lack of EC casino's to historical civil rights struggles, and encourage more people to ride boats!

Glenzig
09-23-2014, 11:03 AM
More like this. Allow any/all forms of gambling, but only while underway on boats. That way you could pacify the whiners comparing the lack of EC casino's to historical civil rights struggles, and encourage more people to ride boats!

Only once the boats reach OOT or TD though. That's international waters right there.

Whirled
09-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Only once the boats reach OOT or TD though. That's international waters right there.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fbcBKu_gd9A/UgREgHxZd0I/AAAAAAAADDw/vjchBYLEEdI/s1600/MacLeodBookCover.jpg

Any chances for some all/all tinkered jet skis?

PDX0621
09-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Time to hire Juntsie for this petition me thinks.

Nirgon
09-23-2014, 11:40 AM
I talked to people at the dock / on my way to OOT recently

Being unable to enjoy the little things in Everquest is called being BAD AT EVERQUEST

baalzy
09-23-2014, 02:24 PM
I like the boats... though I wouldn't complain if there were two of them running through OoT in such a way that the maximum wait was 15 minutes instead of 30.

Kekephee
09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I think it's fun to take the boats. It reminds me of being a kid who just got Everquest and would trade people languages while I rode between the continents to go to new zones. I was so excited to see what new things I would find and new adventures I would get into as I leveled up and explored new places. It was magic.

EVocati
09-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Ya know, most of the arguments against are valid. This is supposed to be a classic era EQ, not insta-port POP/POK throw the game away era.

However, I've noticed no one seems to know that the FV boat sweeps you off the barges as they take you in to BB... if they're ever on. After waiting 30m for the boat in FV, I gave up and ran all the way to OT outpost to get a port to BB. Sure, I got a port... but I wouldn't have had to had the boat a) worked b) worked as intended.

The rest of the boats are awesome. Get a port to Toxx and run all the way back to EC. Classic.

Cecily
09-30-2014, 05:05 AM
A couple years ago my friends and I met Bobbarker on his yacht, it was made very clear that we refer to it as a yacht, and he served us pancakes as we sailed through OOT.

EVocati
09-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Lies! Everyone know's it's a myth that Bob Barker serves anything but suave jokes and neutered pets. Don't try and lure us on to the Bloated Belly with false-promises of pancakes and Undead celebrities.

That'd be like Billy Mays at the helm of the Maiden Voyage serving chipottle.

Sidelle
09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
I like taking the boat sometimes. Excellent bartender.

http://adamvonwillis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ted-lange-your-bartender.gif

Whirled
09-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Get a port to Toxx and run all the way back to EC. Classic.

I did that from Paineel.
+1 classic feeling being bound several+ zones away

DarkwingDuck
09-30-2014, 07:33 AM
This thread is more of a waste of time than any boat I've ever taken.
Go away, or roll a Druid , Pleb.

FindCorpse
09-30-2014, 08:05 AM
Translocators were only put in because eventually new versions of directx broke the boat system so SOE had to put them in. Also in classic there were 2 boats, one heading in each direction which they tried to duplicate here unsuccessfully. I remember they collided in the same spot and sometimes you would get dragged on to the other boat and get taken back to the seaport you started from. Informative post with substance now stop whining hehe. If you want to write some code to fix boat system do it!

Crom
09-30-2014, 08:58 AM
if they can't add the second boat, why not make the first one go 2x the speed ?

Tantrix
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Because people would bitch "it's not classic!". Even though only having 1 boat instead of 2 isn't classic either, but nobody says a word...

Portasaurus
09-30-2014, 09:39 AM
pancakes

Lies!

No crying in baseball / No pancakes in Norrath.

Glenzig
09-30-2014, 11:42 AM

I would vote yes for this.

nilbog
09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
When the OOT boat route was set up, it wasn't by me, and it wasn't correct. The next time it's looked into, it will be fixed appropriately. I made a thread a while ago, which could be updated with outstanding issues; some have been corrected since then. Add to it. I believe there are gondolas in cabilis which should have routes and possibly zone between east/west?

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75463

iruinedyourday
09-30-2014, 02:04 PM
The rest of the boats are awesome. Get a port to Toxx and run all the way back to EC. Classic.

if this game had achievements, youd get one for this.

Bubbageo
10-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Whatever trolls like to eat, this post is made of it in its most organic, gluten free, non-GMO form.

Tongpow
10-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Because people would bitch "it's not classic!". Even though only having 1 boat instead of 2 isn't classic either, but nobody says a word...

ideally it would be 2 boats + the actual correct boat model instead of the one we have now

but most of us understand it might not be possible with the client, their working on it the best they can. that's completely different than being like "Oh you only got 1 boat to work? well fuck that best not even try. bring out the npc midgets with teleport spells!"