PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Knight Guide.

SenoraRaton
09-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm currently level 30 on my SK on red, and was looking around for a good guide for SK's. I can't seem to find the information I am looking for, specifically:

Pulling Strategies
Soloing Areas 1 - 60
How to solo, spell choices etc
Weapon Choices
How to Tank as an SK
PvP Strategies General/SK Specific

The only guide I found on the wiki is simply terrible. Is there a better guide, or if not is it possible to answer some of these questions and possibly begin to build a better guide to replace the inadequate one that is currently there?

Estu
09-12-2014, 07:04 PM
I can answer some of your questions.

For soloing method, the popular thing for SKs is to snare and fear the enemy, then chase it and melee along with your pet. Undead fear spells are cheaper than all-purpose fear spells, so you can save on mana if you can find undead to fear.

For zones, you probably want outdoor zones so that you can get areas with lots of space to fear kite without getting additional aggro, and you'd want to prioritize zones with undead mobs if possible. Possibilities are North/South Ro / Oasis, Butcherblock Mts (chessboard), Field of Bone, LOIO, EJ, Burning Woods, and Dreadlands - all of these zones have at least some undead you can go after. I'm not sure there's necessarily always a good outdoor zone with lots of undead; other good zones for fear-kiting in general would be the Karanas, Firiona Vie, and Overthere, but these don't have much undead. I haven't bothered to note the level ranges on these zones since I assume you're already familiar with them, but you can look them up or ask if you're not sure.

I don't know a ton about SK pulling, weapons, and PVP.

Potus
09-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Pulling strategy: Snare mob. Then run back. Feign Death. Other mobs return to their spawn points, snared mob will stand still. Get up.

How to tank: Cast Disease Cloud. Repeat.

PVP: Hit other guy, then Harm Touch. Lifetap when you have low hitpoints, zone when you're going to die.

no chewie dont
09-14-2014, 09:26 AM
true, its not rocket surgery

Brut
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
PVP: Hit other guy, then Harm Touch. Lifetap when you have low hitpoints, zone when you're going to die.

Spam clinging obv to unSoW them.

Then use Slam when they gating cuz you rolled ogre/troll because you want to actually kill someone. /nod

Nogdar
09-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Spam clinging obv to unSoW them.

Then use Slam when they gating cuz you rolled ogre because you want to actually kill someone. /nod

Fixed fer joo!

Hyperbase-1999
09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Only recently started on P1999 but on live for the relevant time frame I used Disease Cloud for agro, when that was changed Clinging Darkness.

Clinging Darkness spam was good for passing agro to warriors for raid pulls or Slowing on the pull.

Invisability during a pull used to work good as you could pull raid targets through the zone.

As previously mentioned snaring works great for feign splitting, either to lag behind casters or keep you pull target in place.

I am interested to see how things are here compared to my memory of live, only lv7 so far on my Shadow knight.

Braellar

Pheer
09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
How to tank: Make a key to assist your puller, spam it as hes getting in camp till you get target then disease cloud it off him

For mezzed mobs I switch targets before the current one is dead and shadow vortex it a couple times. Once the current mob is dead i try to taunt it once then break with disease cloud. If taunt failed then the shadow vortexes and disease cloud hopefully are enough to pull it off of the chanter, if taunt succeeded then youre top of the list anyway and the disease cloud will start you off with solid agro.

I also like to keep wave of enfeeblement up on the spell bar when im grouping in case a few too many get pulled so I can try to peel them all onto me and keep casters/healers up long enough to get it under control.

Veleria
10-06-2014, 07:57 PM
When you refer to disease cloud do you mean the level 9 dot or are you talking upgrades at higher levels. Is the agro from it that good? Is there any explanation on how that works?

Pheer
10-06-2014, 10:42 PM
When you refer to disease cloud do you mean the level 9 dot or are you talking upgrades at higher levels. Is the agro from it that good? Is there any explanation on how that works?

Yes, the level 9 dot disease cloud has really high agro generation

Buellen
10-14-2014, 03:00 AM
As other have said

Disease Cloud is high agro spell.

All the hybrid melee classes have 1 spell from their level 9 set that generates a lot of agro.

Paladin: Flash of Light

Ranger: flame lick

Shadow Knight : Disease Cloud

i believe disease cloud is the best one followed by flame lick. Flash of light is last due positioning needed to maintain mob agro or it running off in random direction.

Jaleth
10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Aye flash of light is the only real choice for paladins before lvl 30 stun. Once stuns ate used fol becomes nearly useless, if only situational

Tuljin
10-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Aye flash of light is the only real choice for paladins before lvl 30 stun. Once stuns ate used fol becomes nearly useless, if only situational

This is inaccurate

Stun is a very important and characteristic element of playing a Paladin, however it does not render Flash of Light obsolete. I will say that playing for 30 levels without Stun is a bizarre feeling, and when you finally get it it is certainly a game-changer and brings the Paladin into true form.

Flash of Light is your snap agro spell. You blind an enemy, it snaps to you. This is the #1 method of tanking, however not the #1 method of hate generation. When you pull a mob toss out a stun not only to knock out a caster cast, but also to make sure the mob has a nice amount of hate on you so he doesn't agro or cast on anyone else as it's running to camp.

By casting stun while tanking, it ends up stunlocking the mob. An excellent player knows when to stunlock and when to Flash of Light. The issue with stunning is that the mob does not turn to you instantly. Stunlocking loses precious seconds of backstab time and melees dealing damage without defensive skill damage mitigation. Over time, this results in a significant loss of damage output from your group. You want to Flash of Light to have it snap to you, THEN toss out the stun to keep the hate nice and high.

The idea is ABT - - Always Be Turning

Stun is also very mana intensive. Flash of Light is 12 mana, stun is 30, and Holy Might is 60. With an already low mana pool and the fact that you are rarely sitting, this is significant.

A great Paladin will have Flash of Light, Stun, and Holy Might in his spell bar and use all three appropriately.

Flash of Light is not useless - - in fact the opposite. It is essential.

Olidaen_Delacroix
10-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Pulling strategy: Snare mob. Then run back. Feign Death. Other mobs return to their spawn points, snared mob will stand still. Get up.

Hmm this used to work only with dooming darkness (lv 49). I haven't used it for a long time so idk if it still works.

About PVP on blue, the main idea is kite. Cast clinging darkness until it lands, and keep your pet alive / unrooted / unmezzed / unfeared. Then just hit your opponent with a big dmg 2 hander, until he dies. If he doesn't die fast enough, use your harm touch but it usually isn't necessary...

I never tried PVPing on red with an SK.