PDA

View Full Version : Bard kiting with programmable keyboard

Logansrun
09-09-2014, 09:55 PM
I've started playing a bard recently and getting into AOE kiting. Up to this point, my method has been holding down the W and A keys while also holding the right mouse button. When I want to start turning, I let off the mouse for a split second.

This has worked well enough so far, but I read up on this guide on the wiki http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Techie%27s_Bard_AE_Kiting_Guide which mentions kiting while using a programmable keyboard.

I went and bought a Logitech G105 to see if I could try it out. From what the guide mentions, it sounds like I should program the right/left keys to fire every so often in order to create perfect circles.

The problem I'm having with this is that if I'm holding down the keys in order to strafe, my strafe gets canceled as soon as the keyboards fires the button to turn right. This causes mobs to catch up.

Has anyone got experience kiting this way that could help me out? Maybe I'm just reading into the guide wrong.

Estu
09-09-2014, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure this is OK to do in terms of the server rules.

zanderklocke
09-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Reading through that guide, it seems sort of cheap to just program a keyboard to do everything.

However, like Estu said, autofire/programmed key fires is against the rules according to the staff. I'm guessing the bard that made that guide did not know that.

Thulack
09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Reading through that guide, it seems sort of cheap to just program a keyboard to do everything.

However, like Estu said, autofire/programmed key fires is against the rules according to the staff. I'm guessing the bard that made that guide did not know that.

pretty sure aslong as he at PC its fine to use the keyboard since it doesn't inject anything into the client.

Logansrun
09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
pretty sure aslong as he at PC its fine to use the keyboard since it doesn't inject anything into the client.

This was my thought.

Tupakk
09-10-2014, 12:06 PM

That would be a wicked program if they could have it set on a macro to automatically fire every so often as the mobs pop. I can just see bandit camps with a bard running around all day on autopilot.

Serious note tho, I feel it takes the fun out of kiting if you just hit a button and your toon runs around in circles but meh

Haynar
09-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Automating tasks = bannable. If programming your keyboard gives you an advantage that others do not have, then you may want to think about it.

H

applesauce25r624
09-12-2014, 07:08 PM
BAN BAN BAN BAN !

loramin
09-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Derubael was supposed to issue an official policy (or at least some sort of official comment) for this very topic. I asked him to awhile back and he said it was coming (the backstory being that I got in a dispute with the author of that same wiki guide).

It's almost not needed now thanks to Haynar's comment, but I'd still love to see an update to an official rules page.

Infectious
09-12-2014, 08:17 PM
How could it be bannable cause he has a better keyboard, that anybody can buy? Just a question though.

Haynar
09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
I didnt say you would get banned. When you take it to the point you dont even have to touch the keyboard anymore. Thats an issue. When you start auto twisting songs without doing anything, thats not ok either.

Just be careful in what you do or how you program your keyboard, so you dont go too far.

When everyone watching you, thinks you are macroing... Probably gonna get busted.

H

Aztefano
10-02-2014, 06:34 AM
A bard is complicated to play as it is, can't see much harm in using a better keyboard to mitigate this.