PDA

View Full Version : Banded armor commission

xxjeep
09-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Hey all!

I'm pretty new to P99 and have been running a 19(formerly 20) rogue. I've had some back luck since I tried to run off of Antonica so I'm asking here. I tried to get to EC and died twice.

Anyone available to craft me a set of small/regular banded armor? I hear that's a good place to start. Or, is there something better I should be looking for. Currently I'm using tattered leather pieces from the bone chip quest in Kaladim and I'm pretty squishy. No jewelry yet.

Please PM me here. I've saved up about 130pp.

Thanks for the help in advance, and I love what you guys have done with the community!

-Zindivel
Wood Elf Rogue

Jimjam
09-08-2014, 02:36 AM
Better than equipment for survival: if you need to run away from something don't just run forwards; most things can match the speed of players.

You want to run diagonally. This is faster.

There are a few ways to do this. Hold down control, forwards and one of the sideways arrows. Alternatively hold down both the left and right mouse buttons and a sideways arrow.

Also, try not to travel alone. Try to get your XP in groups.

Following this advice will boost your survivability way more than banded armor.

When crossing dangerous zones you can either use hide and sneak or a cloudy potion (purchasable in the starting cities). The cloudy potion is good for any class to carry as it is an instant click invis, so if your invis starts to fade you can refresh it with no delay and no risk. 10PP per cast though, so try to grab invis from other players.

Also try to get Spirit of the Wolf cast on you by other players. The higher level the better. This will make you run faster too; you can combine it with running diagonally to run even fasterer.

Regarding your original request, a suit of banded armor should set you back around 100pp. If someone is kind enough to make it for you at cost it will knock another 20pp or so off the prices (if I recall correctly).

With any money left over, try getting a high damage piercer for your main hand. When a group is considering inviting you to join as a rogue the biggest thing they will look at is your damage per second, and backstab is a big part of this.

If you want to make a good impression once in groups learn how to use the hide ability to reduce aggro in a fight and how to use sneak to reduce adds while pulling.

I hope this advice helps, sorry for the wall of text :).

Swish
09-08-2014, 08:04 AM
good post Jimjam!

On a sidenote, you'll see that quite a few rogues have far too much plat behind them from previous characters and have invested in a rogue epic MQ which isn't realistic if a rogue is your first character. I didn't get mine til 52-53 so don't feel like you won't get grouped if you don't have it (and take all the jokes about "omg dude, I thought rogues started with their epic" :p)

Better to save up 4-5k (which in itself isn't easy) and invest in a "Rapier of Oriin", the bestest pre epic piercer.

For your offhand weapon, it's all about ratio rather than big damage, so aim for something like a 9/18 or 10/20 weapon eventually (rather than 11/30 for example).

PDX0621
09-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Look me up under any of the characters in sig, I can pick you up, port you, buff and bind anywhere ya need, no charge.

xxjeep
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Those techniques are all really good ideas, Jimjam. The strafing one didn't come to my mind. As far as the other ones go, I guess it just comes down to my carelessness. It was late at night and I couldn't find buffs or ports. Next time I'll have to just be patient. As you said, I do have hide and sneak...so I hardly have an excuse.

Swish, I've heard I'll have to compete with quite a few epic twinks, but I guess that's just how it goes. I know rogue is a class I'd enjoy so I wanted to do it as my first one :) After I buy some armor, I'll also start saving for that Rapier of Oriin.

PDX, I'll look you up if I see you online and need a port/bind. Thank you very much!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Definitely helps.

-Zindivel
Wood Elf Rogue