PDA

View Full Version : Goddam. Here it is

Weekapaug
08-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Probably going to have to put my dog down this week.

Not unexpected as there have been health problems, but my first dog. I'm a noob to this particular rodeo.

Beagles charm women and shoot up sopwith camels and shit. Little bastage is 14 and still follows me around like a pup. He was a gift from a girlfriend. Three girlfriends ago. The women come and go but your boyo is your boyo.

How do you do this?

Tecmos Deception
08-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Not to be an ass... cause this is a serious topic, and I'm being serious. But have you read Old Yeller?

I mean, MOST people would take their dog to a vet and have a discussion with the vet about why you think it's time for your dog to be put down and then the vet would inject him with something laying on a table in the dog equivalent of a hospital room, I guess. It sounds dumb, but my Grandpa didn't put down dogs or horses or anything else that way, and it wasn't because there just wasn't a vet within a 10-minute drive... so that's the way I think about it too /shrug

But I guess it's easy for me to say, since I haven't had to put a pet down (yet) :-\

myriverse
08-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Lost my dog about 5 years ago. She was a beagle, too. My life hasn't been the same since. :( Although my loss was sudden and tragic-- car, cellphone, nuff said. But you do get past it.

I feels.

Swish
08-29-2014, 09:23 AM
My dad passed away in 2007 and left his old cat Jinxie, who went on for another 3-4 years to live to 21... poor cat really struggled.

Never nice making that trip to the vets, and you wonder whether she knew what was happening or not.

Best cat ever though, had some mates over for a film night one time... she sat through 3-4 films and couldn't get enough attention/fuss from everyone :D

Pringles
08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
My dad passed away in 2007 and left his old cat Jinxie, who went on for another 3-4 years to live to 21... poor cat really struggled.

Never nice making that trip to the vets, and you wonder whether she knew what was happening or not.

Best cat ever though, had some mates over for a film night one time... she sat through 3-4 films and couldn't get enough attention/fuss from everyone :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKwnFaJTAM ?

Daakkon
08-29-2014, 10:17 AM
I had to put my black lab rottie down last summer :( My gf's dog is a 16 year old shihtsu and will have to be put down because he refuses to die.

eqgmrdbz
08-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Having my first pet/dog put down was tougher than i expected, i knew he was getting bad health wise, and when he could no longer walk/was in pain, i knew it was time. I found a local place to put him to sleep, i went there figuring they were going to take him put him to sleep, then i would see him after. Well, i was there waiting with him, and the guy says "bring him in here", we go to a side room, and i place him on the bed/table. The guy then asks me what i was not expecting, "would you like to stay with him?", instant lump in my throat, as i'm looking into my dogs eyes and say "yes".

It just got worse and worse from there, without thinking i started talking/stroking him saying, "it's ok....it's ok". I am in total feels as the guy walks in with the injection, and i start crying, uncontrollable crying (eww im getting teary eyed thinking about it). There i am talking/stroking him, sniffling and tears pouring down my face, as i'm seeing him slowly go to sleep, after a while, they guy checks him, looks at me and says, "he's gone". I could barely say anything coherent, but i managed a croaky "ok", I walked out and signed a form to have him cremated, i was not well for a week after. :(

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
08-29-2014, 10:50 AM
My feelers are feeling a feel right now.

Got two of my own - 6 year old mutt and 4 year old lab/mastiff X. The lab has some pretty bad knee problems so I can pretty well assume he's not long for this world. I'll probably be bawling my eyes out when either of then goes/I have to take them.

Glenzig
08-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I have had to do this too many times to count now. I have taken some to the vet, and I have put some down personally. Either way its not a pleasant experience. Currently have a 13 year old golden retriever who has been going downhill for the past year or so. Don't know how long she'll hang in there, but its going to be a sad day when she goes. I got her for my wife about 2 months after we got married , and she's been a very good dog in every way for us.

lecompte
08-29-2014, 11:04 AM
If you don't want to bring him to the vet to have him put down and you're concerned about him feeling pain or something, dogs respond to a variety of "downer" drugs in a similar way as humans (google it to be sure) and you can get him to relax like that then do the deed.

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/pet-euthanasia.html
I doubt you can get pentobarbitone sodium but other bartibtuates can usually be found and used to relax the animal while the deed is done.

Laugher
08-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. A good dog is a good member of a family.

Aveenia
08-29-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm so sorry you are going through this it's so rough. I have had to make that decision a few times and it never gets easier.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Anyone give their dogs a "last supper"? I'm thinking it's going to be an enormous steak, and probably a stick of butter for dessert for my two.

Maybe some pie.

Misto
08-29-2014, 11:52 AM
To be quite honest, you should probably stop being a pussy and take your dog to the vet to be put down.

My dog died, she was about 14.

I was always afraid of my dog getting ran over by a car. (she escaped alot) So knowing my dog died from old age was actually a relief.

Watching your dog suffer is way more sad, than the moment you know your dog is dead.

That's my opinion anyway.

Thulack
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Having my first pet/dog put down was tougher than i expected, i knew he was getting bad health wise, and when he could no longer walk/was in pain, i knew it was time. I found a local place to put him to sleep, i went there figuring they were going to take him put him to sleep, then i would see him after. Well, i was there waiting with him, and the guy says "bring him in here", we go to a side room, and i place him on the bed/table. The guy then asks me what i was not expecting, "would you like to stay with him?", instant lump in my throat, as i'm looking into my dogs eyes and say "yes".

It just got worse and worse from there, without thinking i started talking/stroking him saying, "it's ok....it's ok". I am in total feels as the guy walks in with the injection, and i start crying, uncontrollable crying (eww im getting teary eyed thinking about it). There i am talking/stroking him, sniffling and tears pouring down my face, as i'm seeing him slowly go to sleep, after a while, they guy checks him, looks at me and says, "he's gone". I could barely say anything coherent, but i managed a croaky "ok", I walked out and signed a form to have him cremated, i was not well for a week after. :(

Pretty much same story here with any animal i have had to take a put down. Honestly i think my hardest one was one of my pet rats that i had to take in to get put down. I got a pair of rats after my wife and i had split and they became my buddies over the 2 years i had them. The one passed in his sleep one night and the other lasted about another 3 months before getting a tumor. Doesnt matter how old you are losing a pet is like losing a family member if your a civilized human being and it never gets easier. :(

Glenzig
08-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Anyone give their dogs a "last supper"? I'm thinking it's going to be an enormous steak, and probably a stick of butter for dessert for my two.

Maybe some pie.

I know this might sound horrible to some people, so I hope its not too offensive. But, yes I have done this before when I have had to put them down myself. Its much easier to do the deed when they already have their head down. Plus it eases it slightly for me knowing that at least they went out doing something they enjoy.