PDA

View Full Version : This server still needs variance

Darwoth00
08-24-2014, 01:47 PM
I was an advocate when Nihilum was in power, and since I'm not a hypocrite: I'm still an advocate now that my pals are in power.

Without variance, you just replace one zerg with another. Yes, Nihilum and Nizzar may be gone, but in the coming days or weeks one guild will rule in their place. EQ pvp already gives advantage to whoever can bring more players, more players = more power. So without variance, you become even more powerful with each member you recruit because you can set up all the raid mobs on the same day to kill. So each member only needs to be able to log on for a couple of hours one day a week for you to hold down 90-100% of the raid targets.

With variance, you remove that huge advantage to zerging. You give the power back to players who log on REGULARLY. It shouldn't take 3 years to realize that zerg guilds already have huge advantage in everquest PVP, so by giving them a huge PVE advantage (static respawns every week) where they can log on those huge number of warm body players, you've just created a monster.

Replace Nihilum with whatever guild name you want, without adding variance you end up with the same result.

Mac Drettj
08-24-2014, 01:58 PM
ok cast

harnold
08-24-2014, 01:59 PM
No variance on the pvp server is nuttier then a bag of peanuts What reason do the powers at be give for setting up the pve raid bosses this way? Have they lost their marbles?

heartbrand
08-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I think a better solution than variance is to have respawns stagger. Who the fuck wants to track mobs throughout the week? But staggered mobs with global emotes? Now we talkin. Also OP is cast.

Slathar
08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
i no longer support variance

thank you

Eslade
08-24-2014, 03:18 PM
How about we keep repop day, but make the mobs spawn in different orders and no more than 2 can be up every 2 hours. Excluding vp of course.

Jenni D
08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
I damn well refuse to believe this is the end of duke nizzar and his cronies

JayN
08-24-2014, 04:30 PM
they make to much money to go quietly into the night

LostCause
08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
only been like 3 days bros lol

Feniggles
08-24-2014, 05:37 PM
I damn well refuse to believe this is the end of duke nizzar and his cronies

its over, nothing to see here please move along. buy back your cleric so we can play with chewie again

cabinfever
08-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Can someone elaborate on variance? Do raid mobs not spawn at random times?

Feniggles
08-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Can someone elaborate on variance? Do raid mobs not spawn at random times?

they are static a 7 day mob spawns exactly 7days to the minute after it dies

cabinfever
08-24-2014, 05:49 PM
they are static a 7 day mob spawns exactly 7days to the minute after it dies

ohhhh ok I gotcha. So the people that killed it know exactly when it's going to spawn. I feel like an idiot.

Feniggles
08-24-2014, 05:51 PM
ohhhh ok I gotcha. So the people that killed it know exactly when it's going to spawn. I feel like an idiot.

this servers so inbred everyone knows all the times anyway

G13
08-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Poopsock + PVP = Fun?

krazyGlue
08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
i no longer support variance

thank you

Mac Drettj
08-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Lol

Darwoth00
08-24-2014, 06:52 PM
this servers so inbred everyone knows all the times anyway

This isn't the point at all. Doesn't matter if the server broadcasted when the spawns were coming up, the inequality in non-variance is that it props up zerg guilds with more power. It's an easy sell to recruit a player if you just say: hey log on at this hour one time a week and collect loot with us. The only way to topple the zerg is to outzerg them and take their place. It's a cruel cycle and one you will see with Nizzar+Nihilum gone. Someone else will take their place.

The point of variance is that you have a 3, 6, or 12 hour window on spawns and after weeks or months each day will have numerous spawns throughout. This gives the advantage back to people who play REGULARLY instead of one day a week! Whether someone wants to poopsock the spawns, batphone everyone, or whatever isn't the issue either. What everyone misses is that zerg guilds are already by nature strong in EQ, letting them line up every raid mob like a bowling pin for a few hours a week on a single day just makes them stronger in recruiting.

G13
08-24-2014, 07:44 PM
This isn't the point at all. Doesn't matter if the server broadcasted when the spawns were coming up, the inequality in non-variance is that it props up zerg guilds with more power. It's an easy sell to recruit a player if you just say: hey log on at this hour one time a week and collect loot with us. The only way to topple the zerg is to outzerg them and take their place. It's a cruel cycle and one you will see with Nizzar+Nihilum gone. Someone else will take their place.

The point of variance is that you have a 3, 6, or 12 hour window on spawns and after weeks or months each day will have numerous spawns throughout. This gives the advantage back to people who play REGULARLY instead of one day a week! Whether someone wants to poopsock the spawns, batphone everyone, or whatever isn't the issue either. What everyone misses is that zerg guilds are already by nature strong in EQ, letting them line up every raid mob like a bowling pin for a few hours a week on a single day just makes them stronger in recruiting.

Poopsocking and batphone is the issue. That's what variance creates.

Creating Variance would open up a massive can of worms. Once that genie is out of the bottle it will be difficult to put back in. You would never be able to track anything. A smart guild leader would have his members work in shifts to kill any enemy tracker in the zone. Instead of being logged in as a zerg, they would just change their tactics. It always comes down to who wants the pixels more. All variance does is create a longer string for the carrot.

I've been thinking about playing on this server and reading the boards ect. This server seems to be made up of 2 different mindsets. Those that want to PVP and those that want pixels with less competition and just numbers. Easy to organize raid schedule around a static spawn without the hassle of trackers and batphone. Nizzar is no fool. No money to be made when you're competing against IB and TMO Pixelquest. He created a nice little nest egg over here.

Trackers and batphone is not a fun game. It's an unhealthy obsession with pixels. If you want to make this server more welcoming a % of the pop is going to have grow up. Set standards of play. Instead of whining to the mods to fix the problem with cries of variance, maybe the server should come together as a population and find some compromise. Work as a community to police the server yourselves. All guilds, even though PVP and in competition, should set a level of standards for play so that if someone gets out of line there is common ground to keep those people in control.

I dunno, set an X number of players allowed per PVE encounter. You can set lvl limits. Classify the mobs so X can be adjustable and tuned to each encounter respectively. Set up boundaries around the zone so guilds can setup blockades, ect. You know when the spawn is going to be so each guild can prepare. You have to fight your way in. No camping in the zone allowed before the mob spawns. Everquest is 15 years old. The devs back then were shooting in the dark. Nostalgia is cool and everything but I see a lot of opportunities to make PVP on this server fun and enjoyable beyond a serverwide msg and "Pras bra!" in /occ

The server is going to be what you make it. Right now the sever has an opportunity to change it's image and bring more people in. Use that opportunity wisely. The existing community needs to step up and give people on the fence reason to take the plunge. Provide people an incentive beyond PP and gear. Provide a server that is fun and enjoyable to play on.

Just my 2 cents

Giovanni
08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Why have trackers? Have a global emote when a boss mobs spawns.

*A green mist seeps forth from Sebilis as the scent of decaying flesh fills the tomb."

Bazia
08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
^^^^^^

G13
08-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Why have trackers? Have a global emote when a boss mobs spawns.

*A green mist seeps forth from Sebilis as the scent of decaying flesh fills the tomb."

Could work

Number 1 rule is you can't camp your guild in the zone