PDA

View Full Version : post lvl 50 sk wtf?

holsteinrx7
08-22-2014, 06:00 AM
just hit lvl 50...

headed to KC 1st time...

spent a lot of time gearing up in ecl, using full best in slot tradable gear as far as i could push it. about 900 ac, trak bp, rod of mourning, ebon mace, ogre imbued war plate, nos/hiero/rbb...
205 str
180 sta
90 agi
140 dex
105 int

as soon as the melee caps froze at 200 im now missing the majority of the time (more than 7/10 swings sometimes). procs getting resisted. seeing monks tank and dps better than me at the same time.

all ive got left is aggro it seems.

should i be disappointed? it makes me think im going to be junk in velious (never played vel). reroll/regear?

i have heard that most sks quit from 50-54 and it gets better after that. but with few spells coming im not sure what the hell im doing leveling a 60% pen chr to go from feeling like a king in COM to this. im baffled. not even sure a epic could save this. at least my new pet is better and can dw..*sarcasm*...?

Pheer
08-22-2014, 06:44 AM
youd be surprised how much difference every level can make in the 50s

Daldaen
08-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Level is the single most important stat in EQ.

At your level just keep trucking along and holding aggro with spells, you're not meant to DPS much anyways.

A level 60 SK with good gear and epic is especially awesome for basically anything other than tanking the hardest raid mobs. Everything else they have better snap aggro and self healing than any warrior would have.

Could always try grouping in SolB Efreeti or BnB. And. Maybe Kedge if you form the group. Mobs are easier in classic zones.

kaev
08-22-2014, 06:09 PM

all ive got left is aggro it seems.

Agro is the tanking stat around which everything else revolves. As Dald mentioned, only the very hardest raid mobs will require a tougher tank than a knight, and knights are a big deal as off-tanks in some of those encounters. In group content a skilled knight makes tanking look easy. The biggest hurdle you have atm is munchkins who fear the xp malus. Work at being a good tank and good groups will want you regardless, good players don't buy into the hybrid hate (some will troll the hell out of you about it tho.) Also, learn to pull well and you'll be loved even more.

Daldaen
08-22-2014, 06:20 PM
If I have an option of tank for an exp group, I go... Paladin->SK->Bard->Ranger->Warrior.

Snap aggro is all that matters when a group is killing mobs in <60s. Hybrid spells supply that aggro potential.

Groups should only be inviting you to take hits and hold aggro. There are 3-4 other slots in group to get mobs dead.

Jaleth
08-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Snap aggro is all that matters when a group is killing mobs in <60s. Hybrid spells supply that aggro potential.

Groups should only be inviting you to take hits and hold aggro. There are 3-4 other slots in group to get mobs dead.

Someone sticky this wisdom!

holsteinrx7
08-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Agro is the tanking stat around which everything else revolves. As Dald mentioned, only the very hardest raid mobs will require a tougher tank than a knight, and knights are a big deal as off-tanks in some of those encounters. In group content a skilled knight makes tanking look easy. The biggest hurdle you have atm is munchkins who fear the xp malus. Work at being a good tank and good groups will want you regardless, good players don't buy into the hybrid hate (some will troll the hell out of you about it tho.) Also, learn to pull well and you'll be loved even more.

so much knowledge dropped. i appreciate this whole post and a lot of what other people posted. i guess i just need to keep trucking. i kind of went into this knowing most sks struggle from 50-54? really hard. i just thought twinking myself would change that.

people are starting to shut me out of duo/trio groups because of the xp pen+lack of dps, and i find myself making due with the druid folk some nights. had a cleric say to me last night "i wish you were a warrior". multiple clerics and shaman saying they dont want the xp penalty.

"were just trying to duo/trio"

"sorry"

yet i was their main tank throughout guktop/bottom, mistmoore, and the early part of com before they broke away. i remember saving every one of their asses on multiple occasions. i chain pull and my xp gain is great, and theres only 9 levels left in the game. at 60, dont u want as many friends as possible? why race thru the last few levels to be lonely at the top? maybe this was engineered for sks to decend into darkness and mystery ;).

good players dont shun hybrids...ive had grps with knight/pally/bard/ranger in the same group. the xp was slower but we all had fun. smh.

the minute i go afk with monks and warriors in the group someone dies and/or leaves. like clockwork. dying is the worst xp pen.

Tenlaar
08-22-2014, 07:02 PM
If I have an option of tank for an exp group, I go... Paladin->SK->Bard->Ranger->Warrior.

Glad to see bard at least included in the list, but they should be ahead of paladin and SK!

Wrench
08-22-2014, 07:41 PM

i have a similar list for group healers

cleric->shaman->paladin->bard->druid

Pheer
08-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I tanked in KC basement outside of a group while camping verix cause they were struggling to find a tank rep. At 60 with epic i had to be careful to not KS them despite them having several dps classes, I think at one point i even clicked off my haste just to be sure.

The early 50s will be the biggest struggle like you said, especially 54. It took quite awhile to grind through to 60 but I have no regrets.

holsteinrx7
08-22-2014, 11:46 PM
feign is one of my role models for sure.

Brut
08-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Lvl54 of horror, once it's done you're on home stretch. /nod

Love the durrs who go "omg dont want penalty go away sk" then invite bard + iksar monk 5mins later.

holsteinrx7
08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
brut be my other rolemodel. i hope you guys still play. too many people hit 60 and fade awayyyy.

Pheer
08-23-2014, 07:15 PM
brut be my other rolemodel. i hope you guys still play. too many people hit 60 and fade awayyyy.

i still play but my sk is just always camped out in VP these days

holsteinrx7
08-25-2014, 08:45 AM
almost to lvl 52 and its going a little better. really looking forward to the 52 pet. spent 12 hours this weekend LFG in KC. sunday had at least 6 50-54 sks lfg. was like a elephant graveyard of sks.

im gonna keep pushing. its a super fun class when the group is well made. if i stand in the hand's room with 2 strong pets in the group, i can fear and the mobs die before they leave the room. clerics get board and relax from the lack of damage incurred.

Waedawen
08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
i have a similar list for group healers

cleric->shaman->paladin->bard->druid

Swing and a miss

Daldaen was being serious

Wrench
08-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Swing and a miss

Daldaen was being serious

i absolutely believe it

any druid who spends 90 percent of their time soloin in kedge and pling is most likely gonna have issues controlling their aggro when they do group

no chewie dont
08-26-2014, 02:40 PM
dinged 60 with 4 hybrids in group
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/DING2_zps2e68a0de.gif
exp penalty is overrated

Deldanko
09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
^^^^ epic

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
dinged 60 with 4 hybrids in group
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/DING2_zps2e68a0de.gif
exp penalty is overrated

That's a legendary gif

Kender
09-02-2014, 10:49 PM
also not classic

Yinikren
09-18-2014, 03:30 PM
52 and especially 58 pet make life much easier solo. I think I was fear kiting ravishing drolvargs outside of KC until 54-55.

holsteinrx7
09-20-2014, 06:12 PM
now 55 and can tank KC alright, almost time to move on. cant tank or even offtank on a raid very well. seeing hits for 230 sometimes. now i know why all are shaman and monk.

holsteinrx7
09-21-2014, 04:20 PM
ack. i think i want to reroll or quit entirely. this just isnt worth it and im not having fun except for in extremely awesome grouping situations. this server and the class are letting me down.

Daldaen
09-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Did you not train in something? Double attack, Parry, Riposte?

Cause SKs are an excellent class. They level slow but they are very useful in every aspect of the game.

Gurbuuk
09-22-2014, 03:55 AM
at 55 you can tank easily in Hate or fear. Most of Sky, it will be very hard though.
Create a magelo if you want advices.

here is mine for some ref

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Gurbuuk

Issar
09-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Vore! You're the guy that gave me (erudite paladin) the Flayed Skin gear, thinking I was an SK. I'm not one of you filthy bastards. But I do admire your utility and pulling ability in groups/raids. Don't forget about those aspects. That being said, if you're not simply not having fun, then that's another story. You need to play a class you like and have fun.

holsteinrx7
09-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Lol, issar! we meet again! its nice to hear youre still going on that paladin.

i checked and everything's all trained up. my gear i have about 250k of stuff and im very beefy for KC, but i fall flat on my face trying to "offtank" anything. i know getting to 60 will help, but it really wont. i feel like ill always be a novelty!

Issar
09-24-2014, 12:25 PM

i checked and everything's all trained up. my gear i have about 250k of stuff and im very beefy for KC, but i fall flat on my face trying to "offtank" anything. i know getting to 60 will help, but it really wont. i feel like ill always be a novelty!

Man, sucks to hear that you're feeling that way, but I think I understand what you're saying. When I was playing my SK, it was post Luclin and life was much different for the knights.

If you decide to re-roll, let me know if you roll a human/erudite necro. I got some gear for ya lol! On a serious note though, if you want to re-roll, let me know if you want a duo partner. I could use a break from my slow Pally travels!

Pheer
09-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Getting those 5 levels will help a lot more than you think it will. The difference between 55 and 60 would surprise you.

Also, fuck KC. You need to find some good seb/HS groups. KC is a shithole and only worth exping in with a good group in a couple specific camps. Anything other than that is a waste of time. You could maybe do the hole as well, convince some people to go down there with you and maybe even do the will of innoruuk/head of the valiant quests at the same time.

Colgate
09-25-2014, 01:35 AM
shadowknight can tank p much everything in kunark, u need 2 relax dawg

holsteinrx7
09-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Haha ya you're right I need to chill. Ogre sk isn't so bad.

Not Salem
09-28-2014, 05:52 PM
yeah colgate is right, Nihilum on red server has used a troll shadowknight to tank dragons in VP, as well as an Ogre SK to tank venril sathir

Destron
12-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Bi-Polar is serious business.

captnamazing
12-17-2014, 08:52 PM
all praise kaev