PDA

View Full Version : ok nerds gimme a monitor/tv recommendation

karsten
08-20-2014, 01:52 PM
gonna buy a new monitor and slap my high-powered dedicated eq gaming laptop onto a docking station because I'm a man that loves docking

I haven't done this in like forever and I'm a normal person with a normal life, so I need some neckbeard advice

What monitor would you get? Alternatively, what TV would you get that could act as a monitor? What size? (I have a normal sized computer desk)

positives/negatives of a TV-as-monitor versus a monitor-that-i-might-also-use-as-tv>

other thoughts?

Give me an advice-bukkake

Genedin
08-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Honestly man, I would just get whatever is on special.

Samsung, LG, and Dell make the best monitors in my opinion.

Just get one that is a named brand and is the size you want + on sale.

Especially if you are playing everquest, not like you are going to miss out on pixels.

Eslade
08-20-2014, 02:04 PM
I'd suggest not buying a monitor and quitting everquest altogether.

Cheesypoof
08-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I use a massive flat screen HDTV at home because they were cheeper than computer monitors. I regret it now. I like my work set up more with two average sized monitors. Get somthing with a fast refresh rate. Usually TV's have a slower refresh rate.

Here is a gay guy explaining FPS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w

Kergan
08-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Honestly, go with a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor. The general rule of thumb for monitors/TVs is the optimal viewing range is between 2-4x the inches of the screen. So if you have a 50 inch monitor you'd want to be sitting between 100-200 inches from the screen. That is roughly 8-17 feet...not really ideal for a computer situation. You could go smaller to like a 42" and make it 7-14 feet but even that sounds like it would be too far away for your setup.

27" is a decent compromise, it'll be awesome when you're gaming and function as a great looking but sorta small TV. I guess part of it depends which function you plan on using it for more.

Kergan
08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Oh just an aside from what I said about, higher resolutions support sitting closer. So like the new 4K TVs you can go inside that 2x the inches threshold without seeing issues. Same applies to a 2440x1600 monitor at 27 inches. The guideline is based on 1920x1080.

Rogean
08-20-2014, 02:43 PM
On a similar subject I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on a good TV to double as a secondary monitor on occasion. I've heard Samsungs have good compatibility with PC's.

Samsung
08-20-2014, 02:45 PM
On a similar subject I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on a good TV to double as a secondary monitor on occasion. I've heard Samsungs have good compatibility with PC's.

Did someone say Samsung?

Rogean
08-20-2014, 02:46 PM
o.O

Cheesypoof
08-20-2014, 02:47 PM
idk u would have to ask Samsung to buy.. erm i mean show you one personally.

Gaffin 7.0
08-20-2014, 02:48 PM
LG is the way to go

Mac Drettj
08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
visio, samsungs walmart brother

Grimjaw
08-20-2014, 03:02 PM
didn't cheap out when I bought my Sony Bravia 1080p 60mhz refresh rate, this was when flatscreens were starting to steadily drop in price, but for a good namebrand like Sony Bravia it was still expensive at 800$. It sat in my room but never got watched for a few years and then a month ago I got the brilliant idea to start using it as my monitor. pretty much without issues! the odd time things look a bit blury tho I am just starting to notice now, every once and a while.

Kergan
08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Depends on the size you're looking at Rogean, and what you want to spend. A monitor with speakers and an HDMI input is really no different then using a TV assuming it's going into a cable box. I've always considered Samsung a good baseline as they control everything from the design to the factory, while most companies only control the design. The high end Sony TVs are still always near the top of the list, but you tend to pay about a 5-10% premium. Sharp actually makes some really good TVs in their upper line and they are a Japanese based company which tend to have better engineering in general. I'd steer clear of Toshiba entirely, they have some good TVs but its really up and down with them.

I spent about 3-4 years doing product testing and development at the Best Buy corporate office and I worked a lot with TVs...quite frankly the "you get what you pay for" stuff applies here. I've seen what is done to lower price points on televisions and the first thing that goes are the premium level interlacing, color processing, etc.

Gaffin 7.0
08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
LED is so fugly

Samsung
08-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Depends on the size you're looking at Rogean, and what you want to spend. A monitor with speakers and an HDMI input is really no different then using a TV assuming it's going into a cable box. I've always considered Samsung a good baseline as they control everything from the design to the factory, while most companies only control the design. The high end Sony TVs are still always near the top of the list, but you tend to pay about a 5-10% premium. Sharp actually makes some really good TVs in their upper line and they are a Japanese based company which tend to have better engineering in general. I'd steer clear of Toshiba entirely, they have some good TVs but its really up and down with them.

I spent about 3-4 years doing product testing and development at the Best Buy corporate office and I worked a lot with TVs...quite frankly the "you get what you pay for" stuff applies here. I've seen what is done to lower price points on televisions and the first thing that goes are the premium level interlacing, color processing, etc.

TLDR

Grimjaw
08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
didn't cheap out when I bought my Sony Bravia 1080p 60mhz refresh rate, this was when flatscreens were starting to steadily drop in price, but for a good namebrand like Sony Bravia it was still expensive at 800$. It sat in my room but never got watched for a few years and then a month ago I got the brilliant idea to start using it as my monitor. pretty much without issues! the odd time things look a bit blury tho I am just starting to notice now, every once and a while.

32"

Grimjaw
08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
also ya sharp aquas p good I hear

Rogean
08-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Would only need HDMI Inputs (Plural). I have separate speakers I can plug in (So it should have a 3.5 jack too).

But obviously any higher end TV is going to have numerous plugs and options. An actual monitor would be much more expensive though. I don't need it to be high refresh. I'd only be watching movies on it, even if plugged into a PC.

Kergan
08-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Samsung a good bet for that, so is Sony. LGs are hit and miss but mostly hit from what I've seen. Vizio's are surprisingly good for their price point too.

You have to pay attention to what exactly is getting stripped out feature wise...sometimes you can drop a tier from a manufacturer and only lose stupid shit like 3D, internet apps, some inputs you don't need etc. In general (even though you mentioned refresh rate isn't a big deal) the more inputs you have the higher your input lag is going to be. Most gaming monitors for example only have a single input.

I'm actually looking at putting a new TV in my basement and I want a big one. It's really only going to get used to watch football so I don't want to drop a ton, mostly because in 5 years all the OLED shit will be out and make half the crap nowadays borderline obsolete (like when plasmas/LCDs replaced CRT TVs). Best Buy has a 65" Sharp entry level TV for $950 which is dirt cheap for a 65". I was actually pretty happy with the picture quality, because most of the shit the got skimmed was dumb things like 3D or 240Hz refresh (overkill, waste of money).

It's really hard to recommend a specific model though, everyone has different needs and reacts to color temperature settings differently. When we used to get TVs in direct from China everything looked really red tinted to us, but to the Chinese that was normal. The best way to shop for a TV is identify your minimum requirements and look for a model from each major manufacturer that meets them (Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Vizio...I'd forget about the rest). See if you can actually view one in person at a retail place and buy the one that looks best to you. You should look up recommended settings on the avsforum.net forums and make the adjustment, TV manufacturers tend to crank up the brightness and contrast way past where it needs to be in order to look "crisp" when displayed next to several other televisions and under bright white lights in a retail environment. I've seen many TVs look like absolute dogshit on the showroom floor, but with proper calibration blow other TVs at their price point out of the water.

Infectious
08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I tried my 60 inch samsung led in livingroom as a monitor, it sucks for eq. Only really worth it for netflix and movie watching.
For easter I got my daughter a 42 inch sanyo and took her 32 inch(forget brand) and now use it as a monitor for my labtop and I will say Im very happy.
Ps4/netflix/tv watching is nice on the 50+ inch tvs, but for some reason I didnt like eq on it.

karsten
08-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I think i'm leaning towards a monitor with a high refresh rate that i can also turn sideways and watch football on from my couch. I'd want integrated speakers because why not. Do most monitors (kergan you had been talking about a 27" which is I think the ideal size) also have a cable-in port?

so, it'd be HDMI from docking station to monitor, and then cable connection that i could switch back and forth from

I do want it to be big but I'm in full understanding that i'll have to be way far away from large TVs to have them be useful in any way.

So, the last question would be, would a 27 incher be big enough to have on one end of the wall so that I can sit on my couch and eat cheetos while watching it, say some great sexy anime with subtitles? Are there larger gaming monitors and if so, do they start going up drastically in price once you go past 27?

mtb tripper
08-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Honestly man, I would just get whatever is on special.

Samsung, LG, and Dell make the best monitors in my opinion.

Just get one that is a named brand and is the size you want + on sale.

Especially if you are playing everquest, not like you are going to miss out on pixels.

Kergan
08-20-2014, 04:08 PM
I think i'm leaning towards a monitor with a high refresh rate that i can also turn sideways and watch football on from my couch. I'd want integrated speakers because why not. Do most monitors (kergan you had been talking about a 27" which is I think the ideal size) also have a cable-in port?

so, it'd be HDMI from docking station to monitor, and then cable connection that i could switch back and forth from

I do want it to be big but I'm in full understanding that i'll have to be way far away from large TVs to have them be useful in any way.

So, the last question would be, would a 27 incher be big enough to have on one end of the wall so that I can sit on my couch and eat cheetos while watching it, say some great sexy anime with subtitles? Are there larger gaming monitors and if so, do they start going up drastically in price once you go past 27?

Monitors never have a cable-in port. That implies a tuner, which is what turns a monitor into a television!

Lots of easy ways around that though, easiest being HDMI direct from a cable box. A little more complex would be an external USB based tuner for your PC that you could probably get in the $50-100 range.

Monitors pretty much stop at 27", after that they are almost all TVs. As for the distance, depends on how far it is from your couch to the wall...if its over 9 feet I'd probably get something bigger.

Haynar
08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
I got one of these monitors.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/9113705

It has built in speakers and 3.5 mm jack. I should hook up my roku or rpi to hdmi to see if audio works there too.

Makes for an ok monitor. Got for $139.

H

karsten
08-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Monitors never have a cable-in port. That implies a tuner, which is what turns a monitor into a television!

Lots of easy ways around that though, easiest being HDMI direct from a cable box. A little more complex would be an external USB based tuner for your PC that you could probably get in the $50-100 range.

Monitors pretty much stop at 27", after that they are almost all TVs. As for the distance, depends on how far it is from your couch to the wall...if its over 9 feet I'd probably get something bigger.

ahh ok, but if I have a cable box that has an HDMI out, then i'm good to go on that

what is going to be my main difference between, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B007HSKSP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+27

and

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-inch-Performance-Monitor/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408566337&sr=8-2&keywords=benq+27

in terms of performance and what my eye can actually recognize?

karsten
08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
what tv you want? PM me amazon link and your address and it will be there in 2 days.

cool thanks gyno

Samsung
08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
noah threads are the fucking WORST

karsten
08-20-2014, 06:00 PM
sektors you stop being a beta bandwagon boy this very instant :D

Eslade
08-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Everyone loves Samsung in this thread.

karsten
08-20-2014, 06:14 PM
that's a good point

first and only samsung appreciation thread

Kergan
08-20-2014, 06:21 PM
ahh ok, but if I have a cable box that has an HDMI out, then i'm good to go on that

what is going to be my main difference between, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B007HSKSP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+27

and

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-inch-Performance-Monitor/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408566337&sr=8-2&keywords=benq+27

in terms of performance and what my eye can actually recognize?

The only real difference is the panel. A panel is like 90% of the performance of the monitor/TV though.

More generically one is using a TN panel and one is using a VA panel. It's odd that they are advertising a VA panel monitor as a "gaming" monitor though, in most regards that is the one thing VA panels are shitty at. TN panels are faster response, but worse contrast radio and color reproduction. So the VA panel (more expensive one) will look nicer but you'll have ghosting/blur issues with fast motion especially while gaming.

You have to be careful with response time measurements. They are like wattage ratings on a stereo - complete bullshit marketing numbers. They usually measure transition from gray to white to gray which isn't real world meaningful, and if you were to measure to the exact same monitor black to white to black it would be much higher, which is usually the kind of actual performance you'll see especially in gaming.

Without seeing them its hard to tell, but it is unlikely I'd pay double the price for a VA panel, especially when both are at the 1920x1080 resolution point. I'm a big fan of S-IPS panels, even for gaming now that they've crept down in both price and response time.

If you want something really nice check out:
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors

They are an American company based out of California that is importing the Korean panels used in most 27" IPS monitors and assembling them in the US. That means you can have an American company to deal with rather than rolling the dice buying a Catleap/Auria etc. Unfortunately they are on constant backorder because the demand is so high, they build these things specifically for gaming but they carry an awesome S-IPS panel. I've had my eye on their company for about 2-3 years now and I've been impressed so far. Can't beat $369 for a brand new 27" SIPS 2560x1440 monitor!

The caveat with 2560x1440 monitor is that its DVI only. This is the same for any manufacturer, at least for now. The reason being an HDMI cable at current spec can't handle the bandwidth required to power such an awesome picture. They do make a multiple input version, so if you had a cable box it would be able to take the signal...but only on a DVI input would you be able to handle the full 2560x1440 resolution. Doesn't matter for cable though, since that shit comes in at 1920x1080 max anyway, at least until we get some true 4K content!

So for about 10% more than that BenQ VA 1920x1080 monitor you could have a 2560x1440 S-IPS panel built for gaming with inputs for your TV as well.

Samsung
08-20-2014, 06:22 PM
The only real difference is the panel. A panel is like 90% of the performance of the monitor/TV though.

More generically one is using a TN panel and one is using a VA panel. It's odd that they are advertising a VA panel monitor as a "gaming" monitor though, in most regards that is the one thing VA panels are shitty at. TN panels are faster response, but worse contrast radio and color reproduction. So the VA panel (more expensive one) will look nicer but you'll have ghosting/blur issues with fast motion especially while gaming.

You have to be careful with response time measurements. They are like wattage ratings on a stereo - complete bullshit marketing numbers. They usually measure transition from gray to white to gray which isn't real world meaningful, and if you were to measure to the exact same monitor black to white to black it would be much higher, which is usually the kind of actual performance you'll see especially in gaming.

Without seeing them its hard to tell, but it is unlikely I'd pay double the price for a VA panel, especially when both are at the 1920x1080 resolution point. I'm a big fan of S-IPS panels, even for gaming now that they've crept down in both price and response time.

If you want something really nice check out:
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors

They are an American company based out of California that is importing the Korean panels used in most 27" IPS monitors and assembling them in the US. That means you can have an American company to deal with rather than rolling the dice buying a Catleap/Auria etc. Unfortunately they are on constant backorder because the demand is so high, they build these things specifically for gaming but they carry an awesome S-IPS panel. I've had my eye on their company for about 2-3 years now and I've been impressed so far. Can't beat $369 for a brand new 27" SIPS 2560x1440 monitor!

The caveat with 2560x1440 monitor is that its DVI only. This is the same for any manufacturer, at least for now. The reason being an HDMI cable at current spec can't handle the bandwidth required to power such an awesome picture. They do make a multiple input version, so if you had a cable box it would be able to take the signal...but only on a DVI input would you be able to handle the full 2560x1440 resolution. Doesn't matter for cable though, since that shit comes in at 1920x1080 max anyway, at least until we get some true 4K content!

So for about 10% more than that BenQ VA 1920x1080 monitor you could have a 2560x1440 S-IPS panel built for gaming with inputs for your TV as well.
Did anyone read this? lol

Eslade
08-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Did anyone read this? lol

Skipped right over it.

Kergan
08-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Do I fucking care if you read the advice I was giving after being asked? You can't afford that shit anyway bro all your money gone to failed pixel investments.

Samsung
08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Do I fucking care if you read the advice I was giving after being asked? You can't afford that shit anyway bro all your money gone to failed pixel investments.

loool he mad

Eslade
08-20-2014, 06:31 PM

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/748/810/810748.jpg

Mac Drettj
08-20-2014, 06:38 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/748/810/810748.jpg

lol

Uuruk
08-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Please ban Samsung for having a trademark name. At least be consistent with rules.

Genedin
08-20-2014, 11:28 PM
I bought a way too expensive 60 inch from Samsung and it is amazing for PS4 and my computer. Looked awesome playing ESO. I still would suggest finding one at the local pawn shop. Preferably one with a tube that will explode when you shoot it after too many pain killers and bud lights.

Casey VII
08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
I play on two 27 inch Samsung monitors. Believe me when I say that after a year or so it won't be enough to satisfy, especially when you are lounging away from your desk.

Need that 32 inch 1440p at the very least. Or just mount a TV above your 27 inch monitor.

karsten
08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
well shit, now I want a huge TV

Eslade
08-21-2014, 01:51 PM
well shit, now I want a huge TV

What a huge TV might look like ;
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01_02/transvestiteSKY_468x605.jpg