PDA

View Full Version : Why EQ > WoW

BofanStrongbeard
08-16-2014, 12:02 PM
A California couple have been sentenced to prison for extreme child neglect after locking their two daughters in their mobile home for years.

The husband and wife were reportedly “obsessed” with the online game ‘World of Warcraft’ according to KTLA. They were both unemployed and played the game all day for years.

Lester Louis Huffmire and his wife Petra Huffmire, both 41, pleaded guilty on Aug. 5 to two felony counts of child abuse, two misdemeanor counts of false imprisonment, one misdemeanor count of contributing to delinquency of a minor, and sentencing enhancements for great bodily injury, according to a news release from the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

Prosecutors said the home was unsanitary and uninhabitable . Investigator found kitchen appliances “covered in mold and cobwebs, stacks of trash, debris, mold, and feces throughout the home, a pile of used condoms under a stuffed teddy bear, and inoperable toilets,” according to the release.

The two girls, ages 5 and 10, were not allowed out of the house for any reason -even to attend school.

When police were informed by a neighbor about the situation the children were found with dirt crusted on their feet, matted hair, damaged teeth beyond repair, and malnourished, the release stated.

Lester Huffmire was sentenced to five years in state prison. Petra Huffmire was sentenced to three years and four months in state
prison.

Read more: http://fox43.com/2014/08/13/children-locked-inside-home-for-years-as-parents-play-world-of-warcraft/#ixzz3AZViwxFl

... I bet their characters are twinked out tho

radditsu
08-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Yeah. But

http://www.geeknative.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/everquest-sex.jpg

BofanStrongbeard
08-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Touche

Sirken
08-16-2014, 12:31 PM
insert R99 joke

Xer0
08-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Why EQ > WoW
The true answer to this is Nostalgia.

On another note
You do realize that all MMOs are designed to be a virtual skinner box? They want you addicted. Because that's the only way anyone keeps paying to play a game, meanwhile ignoring the fact that there's no real "fun" to be had.

Also, I do believe vanilla wow was better in many ways, the least of which is to say graphically.

The first time I played WoW, I was like 17 or 18. I'd started playing EQ during late velious and I must say it was nice not to have to watch text to see if I dodged, or parried; actually seeing it happen blew me away.

If you've played WoW through all it's expansions it's easy to see it's exponentially easier as time goes by. Why? Because people want phat lewt. People want to feel like a powerhouse. And if it's too difficult to do, why are they going to spend $15/month for the privilege of being an underpowered scrub?

When I first quit wow, it was because Mists of Pandaria looked ridiculous. So I went over to a Vanilla wow server and holy shit, having been used to game mechanics in later versions of wow, I treated the game like I'd just be able to steamroll through the newbie levels and wreck any NPC I ran into, because hell; I could on new characters in retail. But I was rudely surprised.

While my visions of "vanilla" eq are basically limited to what p99 has to offer, I do firmly believe that WoW improved the genre in hundreds of ways, at least when compared to the early 2000-2004 EQ.

Klapton
08-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah. But

http://www.geeknative.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/everquest-sex.jpg

No video?!??!?

sox7d
08-16-2014, 01:32 PM

On another note
You do realize that all MMOs are designed to be a virtual skinner box? They want you addicted. Because that's the only way anyone keeps paying to play a game, meanwhile ignoring the fact that there's no real "fun" to be had.

Also, I do believe vanilla wow was better in many ways, the least of which is to say graphically.

The first time I played WoW, I was like 17 or 18. I'd started playing EQ during late velious and I must say it was nice not to have to watch text to see if I dodged, or parried; actually seeing it happen blew me away.

If you've played WoW through all it's expansions it's easy to see it's exponentially easier as time goes by. Why? Because people want phat lewt. People want to feel like a powerhouse. And if it's too difficult to do, why are they going to spend $15/month for the privilege of being an underpowered scrub?

When I first quit wow, it was because Mists of Pandaria looked ridiculous. So I went over to a Vanilla wow server and holy shit, having been used to game mechanics in later versions of wow, I treated the game like I'd just be able to steamroll through the newbie levels and wreck any NPC I ran into, because hell; I could on new characters in retail. But I was rudely surprised.

While my visions of "vanilla" eq are basically limited to what p99 has to offer, I do firmly believe that WoW improved the genre in hundreds of ways, at least when compared to the early 2000-2004 EQ.

Not sure if trolling, but if you are, well done. I nearly vomited in my mouth.

Further reading on WoW's influence:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125533-Former-Dev-WoW-Has-Killed-the-MMO-Genre

myriverse
08-16-2014, 02:03 PM
there's no real "fun" to be had.
The true fact of life is that all fun is equally unreal.

abacab-101
08-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Lester Huffmire was sentenced to five years in state prison. Petra Huffmire was sentenced to three years and four months in state
prison.

Both were guilty of the exact same crime, at the exact same place, and went to trial at the exact same time.

Why does Petra get half the sentence?

#yesallwomen

Swish
08-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Both were guilty of the exact same crime, at the exact same place, and went to trial at the exact same time.

Why does Petra get half the sentence?

#yesallwomen

Abacab makes a fine point as always.

Also this has way more to it than parents sitting down to play World of Warcraft. That may have contributed to it but I doubt the neglect was a consequence of "yeah I'd feed the kids but I need to do another 20 daily quests first".

Those foodstamps tho, pras Obama

sox7d
08-17-2014, 01:07 PM
So no really tho why did the woman get a lighter sentence?

Welcome to America.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pussypass

ManosMan
08-17-2014, 02:57 PM
I doubt anyone else here can mention WoW without barfing, but I personally hold a pretty objective view of a many different MMO's and banged around Live and 'vanilla' free servers of WoW. There are some ways WoW is better, but class-wise WoW is a garbage dump. Way too few classes, way too many cross-mingling abilities. There are no support classes because every class offers some version of support, summoning a useful item or CCing their special 'type' of mob.

I mean come on, Warlock and Mage are STILL the only FREAKIN casters. Warcraft I had Priest, Conjurer, Warlock and Necrolyte... They just added a couple melee classes and spent all their time designing bright shiny armor sets and pointlessly stupid races. EQ classes tear up WoW classes and eat them for breakfast.

Swish
08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome to America.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pussypass

lol'd

Asap
08-18-2014, 09:04 AM
I bet you if instead of neglecting their kids, they neglected their cats, the US would be in an outrage.

Kidneypunch
08-18-2014, 09:11 AM
I bet their toons aren't even that good. The real good gamers have normal lives outside of gaming, I have witnessed it first hand. THe neckbearded, lock your kids in your trailer home are the ones who think they are good, but in reality they are so bad they need to log all of those hours to make up for their terrible skill sets.