PDA

View Full Version : Droid X 3g connection issues

Noser
08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Has anyone been able to login using a tethered droid x 3g connection? I'm trying to play on my laptop using my droid x for 3g connecton (no wifi available here) but i can't get to the server select screen.

Other things seem to work tho like skype/websites. I've tried disabling firewalls/adding exceptions. I've also tried both win7 and winxp with the same results so im not sure if the server just isnt accepting 3g connections from verizon or whut

ShadowWulf
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Ill look into it, I know it works on my Droid 1 but im also running a custom kernal for free wireless tethering, so it behaves differently than the stock X kernal would.

Noser
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks shadow. I'm not really an advanced user so I didn't want to mess with the kernel. I'm using an app called EasyTether since verizon doesn't allow you free tethering by default :{

azxten
08-31-2010, 07:34 PM
I would guess that EasyTether allows TCP but not UDP and the author assumed that was good enough for the program. EverQuest requires both TCP and UDP to function correctly especially the server list.

Noser
08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
That's a good point azxten. I haven't thought of that.

update: it appears i can connect using the 3g mobile service but that is limited to 2gb a month and id rather not use it. so i just need to find an app with udp support i guess.

ShadowWulf
08-31-2010, 08:26 PM

update: it appears i can connect using the 3g mobile service but that is limited to 2gb a month and id rather not use it. so i just need to find an app with udp support i guess.

Root your phone, there should be custom kernals by now for the X and then you can tether all you want free =)

corradojeff
09-01-2010, 11:09 AM

EQ uses fairly little data. I went away ona work trip and was using my iPhone tethered and I played for roughly 20 hours over several days and my "Tethered Data Usage" was as follows:

Sent 121MB
Received 562MB

I monitored my usage hour to hour because I was worried about going over. I found that my data usage was between 30-50MB an hour.

If your not putting in a rediculous amount of time in to playing while your tehtered than you shouldn't have to worry about going over your 2GB limit but do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Muzyn
09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been able to connect to P99 while tethered to my Droid running easytether.

Noser
09-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I've been able to connect to P99 while tethered to my Droid running easytether.

oh really is that using the freebie version or the full paid version?

Muzyn
09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
oh really is that using the freebie version or the full paid version?

Free.

Izzni
09-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I would guess that EasyTether allows TCP but not UDP and the author assumed that was good enough for the program. EverQuest requires both TCP and UDP to function correctly especially the server list.

EasyTether works once you turn on UDP passthrough in its settings.