PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Else Play Other Private Servers?

Axoc
08-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Since from what I've seen other EQ private servers aren't really remotely similar to P1999 (and I feel like it'd be in very bad taste to talk about them anyway), do any of you play any other MMOs on private servers, and if so, where?

For example, whenever I get burned out on EQ, I'll hop over to a WoW private server (Hellground) and mess around for a bit to recuperate from any EQ losses and/or stress. Do any of you do the same, and if so, on which servers? I think a casual P1999 guild on another game could be fun for whenever SHTF over here - repeated raid wipes, grouping with people who don't know their class, etc.

Apologies if this is seen as in bad taste/should be deleted by the mods/admin or if it's in the wrong section, but I didn't see anything against it in the rules, just have seen on other private servers where the mods/admin can be Gestapo-like when mentioning other private servers, even if they're different games :)

Tongpow
08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
i log onto shards of dalaya every now and then to laugh at it

had 1.2k online a night prior to p99 existing, worse numbers than red99 now

Thulack
08-15-2014, 07:18 PM
ive played on the Diablo 2 Emu Server. It's fun.

radditsu
08-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I have played on KilP and PEQ. If you like to be self sufficient they can be a ton of fun.

Haynar
08-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Used to play on SoDalaya, then they nerfed my custom sword. I dont play there anymore since it would mean i have to group to get a good weapon now.

H

Zaela
08-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Was a dev on shards of dalaya for around 5 or 6 years starting 2007ish. Can't recommend it now. Surprised anyone here even knows about it.

Learned how to program in the process at least. Although the circa ~2005 eqemu codebase it split from is awful.

FoxxHound
08-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Use to do DAoC and WoW. Not sure where I will go; or what I'll do now.

Axoc
08-16-2014, 03:48 AM
What's the big deal about Shards of Dalaya? Was it the biggest EQ private server before P1999 or something like that?

Use to do DAoC and WoW. Not sure where I will go; or what I'll do now.

Pretty much how I felt before finding P1999. The higher level I'm getting here the less and less time I find myself spending on WoW private servers.

People on this server seem to bring up DAoC a lot. I remember playing it for maybe a week or two way back around when it launched but never got too into it - is there a good private server out there that is close to retail-like and anywhere close to decently populated? It could be fun to roll a character just to walk around for the nostalgia trip (assuming that posting the name/link here is okay rule-wise, not trying to get anybody into trouble :) )

phacemeltar
08-16-2014, 04:23 AM
theres a p99 guild over on rebirth. called clan crushbone, horde.

Grubbz
08-16-2014, 04:31 AM
to bad rebirth sucks dick.

Laugher
08-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Used to play Irreverent nonstop before I started over here full time, back then (2008-2011) they had VP/PoTime open at the time and ended up gearing out about 9 alts with my 2box main combo haha.

Was on there recently and I guess they changed the content difficulty to be a little more 3box-full group based as opposed to the 2box solo approach, the server challenege (the only custom gear on the server and thats about as good as p5 time, also if you have your 1.0 done you can do the custom epic 1.5/2.0 by collecting a rare drop in Server challenge). Server challenge last I was there was essentially a raid event nowadays; VP/PoTime have been closed but Vex Thal/elementals and now GoD are open.

Have played a lot of emu, but Irreverent seems to keep a steady pop (avg. 25-60 ppl/night) since I began playing there consistently (2008) and doesn't necessarily require massive amounts of time.

Also did Feenix WoW, got a few 60s over there as well, p cool classic era server & seemingly steady enough pop.

FoxxHound
08-16-2014, 09:32 AM
What's the big deal about Shards of Dalaya? Was it the biggest EQ private server before P1999 or something like that?

Pretty much how I felt before finding P1999. The higher level I'm getting here the less and less time I find myself spending on WoW private servers.

People on this server seem to bring up DAoC a lot. I remember playing it for maybe a week or two way back around when it launched but never got too into it - is there a good private server out there that is close to retail-like and anywhere close to decently populated? It could be fun to roll a character just to walk around for the nostalgia trip (assuming that posting the name/link here is okay rule-wise, not trying to get anybody into trouble :) )

If Uthgard ever comes back up. It seems like it could be moderately close to retail (hopefully). Only up to Shrouded Isles expansion tho

Axoc
08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
to bad rebirth sucks dick.

Grimfan
08-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Playing the early levels of Shards of Dalaya, it feels like the direction EverQuest should have taken. However, I have heard that some of the later level stuff is pretty messy. Honestly, like a lot of EMU's, the limitations to how good it is are mostly focused around the lack of people playing it. But for SoD it's worse, their client is a piece of shit.