PDA

View Full Version : P.T./Silent Hills

Lopretni
08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
New Silent Hill by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro. A playable test ("P.T.") is available for free on PS4. Anyone played it, thoughts?

I think it's brilliant and has potential to be the greatest horror experience across any medium ever. Apparently Kojima Productions absorbed some of Team Silent so there's some of that original talent in the mix. This little 3 room demo blew away other studio's attempts with the Silent Hill license out of the water.

Misto
08-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm waiting for TheRadBrad to upload another video.

He has got 40,000 likes on the video.

So it's definitely a well-liked and anticipated demo.

Some people make not like the jump scares.

But truth be told that's what makes it scary.

Anticipation -> Build-up -> Jump scare

Did you watch him play Outlast and Outlast Whistleblower? Those are amazing.

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-15-2014, 03:24 AM
I've never understood why people fawn over Kojima so much. Metal Gear Solid was a good game seventeen years ago but they got progressively worse after that what with over half of the time a player spent on the last 3 games watching instead of playing them.

Axoc
08-16-2014, 03:53 AM
From what I've seen, it's all jump scares. Don't get me wrong. I love jump scares, but they don't seem very "Silent Hill" to me. I have only played SH4 (which I loved by the way, why does it have such a bad reputation?) but have seen clips from SH1 and SH2. Everything that I've seen from the old games seemed to be more of the slow build up of horror rather than "oh shit it's a zombie in my hallway or a woman behind me literally out of nowhere". The only scene that was remotely like that that I remember was the very first opening dream sequence in SH4 and the "rabbit scene" if you spied on your neighbour before the hospital episode.

Is there any word yet on whether the final product is all jump scares? Or is this more of the "haunted apartment" from end-game SH4? Or was this just a proof of concept/tech demo and not anything remotely resembling the actual events in the game, just showing off monsters and the apartment?

radditsu
08-16-2014, 11:38 AM
I've never understood why people fawn over Kojima so much. Metal Gear Solid was a good game seventeen years ago but they got progressively worse after that what with over half of the time a player spent on the last 3 games watching instead of playing them.

ZoE so good. MGS3 was the best ps2 game that ever happened. MGS4 story was awful but I enjoy the gameplay.

radditsu
08-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Peace Walker so good too.

The guy just has some weird sexual hangups. Like most of Japanese developers it seems

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I dunno. Different strokes I guess. ZoE was alright, but I hated Snake Eater.

radditsu
08-16-2014, 03:55 PM
I dunno. Different strokes I guess. ZoE was alright, but I hated Snake Eater.

Snake Eater was the best game. Start to finish it was so strong. The last boss was just about perfect. A wonderful arc. The boss had a ton of backstory that really fleshes out what big boss does in the future.

Then some switch flipped and he just sexualized the shit out of little girls.

It was concerning.

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Snake Eater was the best game. Start to finish it was so strong. The last boss was just about perfect. A wonderful arc. The boss had a ton of backstory that really fleshes out what big boss does in the future.

Then some switch flipped and he just sexualized the shit out of little girls.

It was concerning.

No clue. I stopped after 3. Like, Sons of Liberty was bad enough, 3 was the nail in the coffin for me. It's not that 3 was poorly designed mechanically, there simply want anything compelling me to care about the characters. There also were all of these little immersion breakers like snakes dropping boxes when killed for meat. After that I honestly stopped caring about the story completely.

Derubael
08-16-2014, 05:00 PM
MGS was incredible, but I feel like they did get steadily worse after that. Not to say they were bad games (though I think an argument could be made for at least one of the MG titles as not being up to par), but the story just went to a wild place and I lost interest. Gameplay has always been at least above average, though I think it was.... peacewalker that had really outdated controls for the time period (it may have been a different title, can't remember).

Kojima gets worshiped because of how big an accomplishment MGS was at the time of it's release. Even now that's a game I can go back and play and enjoy thoroughly - and that's saying a lot for those Playstation era 3d games (most of which look and play like complete trash if you go back and try them nowadays). Personally I think he gets just a tiny bit more credit and attention than he deserves, but there's no denying that his influence on the gaming world was significant. He really did blend Japanese and Western archetypes into a game both cultures went wild for.

That's a really big deal, even though back then the gap between Japanese and Western games was smaller than it is today, it was still difficult to find a middle ground that both cultures would really enjoy and understand. I think that's part of the reason Kojima gets so much fanfare - he was in that first group of "gaming legends" that came out of Japan. These guys were taking huge risks with new IP's in a time where gaming was just starting to pick back up. Without their contributions, sacrifices, and risks, the gaming landscape would look very different today.

Back on topic: I hope the new SH game is good - "horror" video games created by large publishers have been absolute garbage as of late, and while the smaller studios doing horror (Amnesia, Outlast, etc) have done an excellent job, it'd be great to see a classic come back with a bang.