PDA

View Full Version : stop smoking now... youre gona die

phacemeltar
08-08-2014, 01:53 PM
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/7/headlines/nypd_arrests_wife_of_man_who_filmed_fatal_arrest_o f_eric_garner

found on reddit, thought it was interesting.

JayN
08-08-2014, 01:56 PM
wut, the video is about gaza! and I cant read so no idea what they wrote

phacemeltar
08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
oh i only read the story, something about new york?

Ames who?
08-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I used to live a few blocks from where this happened. The police in that area are hyper aggressive.

Tasslehofp99
08-08-2014, 02:43 PM
ROFL I love this tidbit:

Patrick Lynch: "It was not a chokehold. He was a big man that had to be brought to the ground to be placed under arrest by shorter police officers."

Lopretni
08-08-2014, 05:50 PM
More US citizens have been killed by police than marijuana or acts of "terrorism"~

Rhambuk
08-09-2014, 01:38 AM
More US citizens have been killed by police than marijuana or acts of "terrorism"~

it's for our own protection

phacemeltar
08-09-2014, 01:44 AM
i mean technically.. youre gona die anyways

Tradesonred
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Right, you might die 25 years earlier than if you didnt smoke though.

drelk001
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Right, you might die 25 years earlier than if you didnt smoke though.

But why would you think of it like that... if you dont smoke; you could die at 20 from a carcrash, say that car crash ever happened, live up to 95. If you smoke you could get killed at 20 from a car crash, say the car crash never happened, you live until 60.... I could 95

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-10-2014, 10:36 PM
But why would you think of it like that... if you dont smoke; you could die at 20 from a carcrash, say that car crash ever happened, live up to 95. If you smoke you could get killed at 20 from a car crash, say the car crash never happened, you live until 60.... I could 95

Can you say that again? In English this time.

phacemeltar
08-11-2014, 12:13 AM
some non-smokers get lung cancer, some smokers live to 105.

Tradesonred
08-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Because my dad died in 2011 at 63 years old from lung cancer due to cigarettes and wished he could have 25 years more

Glenzig
08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
some non-smokers get lung cancer, some smokers live to 105.

The smokers that lived to 105 gave all the non-smokers lung cancer.

Rhambuk
08-11-2014, 08:30 AM
The smokers that lived to 105 gave all the non-smokers lung cancer.

what, were supposed to feel bad?

Glenzig
08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
what, were supposed to feel bad?

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment. But, since you brought it up, why wouldn't you feel bad for the I'll affects that your addiction has on other people around you?

Ket
08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Pffffft. What about the ill effects of that smelly son of a bitch who doesn't shower that I have to sit next to on the city bus? Let's segregate that guy. Or that old lady that can't look over the friggin' steering wheel while my unsuspecting ass is just trying to cross the street - let's force that wizened old midget to take the bus. She can sit next to that smelly dude. And the bus can drive behind a semi that needs an overhaul to fix the spewing of those toxic emissions that everyone driving behind him has to breathe. Or the factories spewing crap in my air. The jackass littering in my drinking water.

They don't feel bad, I don't feel bad. Not any worse than those legislators in "progressive" cities that have forced business owners to close down bars and pool halls because they lost their clientele after smoking bans begun. If they want to start throwing a fit about health hazards, let's not pick and choose. Just let me smoke my cigarette. When my habit makes you cough and give me dirty looks, I feel good. Evil little butterflies in my stomach for every whiner that just "can't stand the smell".

Fuck, I'm bitter.

-Ket

Ket
08-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Do wut now?

Glenzig
08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
They don't feel bad, I don't feel bad. Not any worse than those legislators in "progressive" cities that have forced business owners to close down bars and pool halls because they lost their clientele after smoking bans begun. If they want to start throwing a fit about health hazards, let's not pick and choose. Just let me smoke my cigarette. When my habit makes you cough and give me dirty looks, I feel good. Evil little butterflies in my stomach for every whiner that just "can't stand the smell".

Fuck, I'm bitter.

-Ket

So since people are too weak willed to go out for 3-5 hours without smoking a pack of cigs that makes it wrong to ban smoking in public areas? Are you that much of a slave to a 3 inch long stick of tobacco? You can't muster up the will to just not smoke for the amount of time it takes to shoot a few rounds of pool and grab some beers? Is it just not worth trying to find enjoyment if you have to maybe give up your cigs for a few hours, or a few days? That's a pretty sad way to live man.

Ket
08-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Are you that much of a slave to a 3 inch long stick of tobacco?

Yes. I'd thank you to stop oppressing me.

I'm not saying I'm an advocate of 80's style smoke filled workplaces and hospitals - not at all. I am, however, saying that I'm tired of being forced to stand out in the cold to smoke a cigarette and STILL get dirty looks thrown my way. If I'm going to get dirty looks, I'd prefer to do it in comfort.

That, and when I go to a pool hall, it's not for a few rounds. It's for a marathon. I love pool. We all do things that increase our enjoyment of any given activity. Cigarettes - while drinking beer and shooting pool - great improves that experience for me.

Quit bringing me down!

Glenzig
08-11-2014, 01:04 PM

I'm not saying I'm an advocate of 80's style smoke filled workplaces and hospitals - not at all. I am, however, saying that I'm tired of being forced to stand out in the cold to smoke a cigarette and STILL get dirty looks thrown my way. If I'm going to get dirty looks, I'd prefer to do it in comfort.

That, and when I go to a pool hall, it's not for a few rounds. It's for a marathon. I love pool. We all do things that increase our enjoyment of any given activity. Cigarettes - while drinking beer and shooting pool - great improves that experience for me.

Quit bringing me down!

If you make the choice to smoke, you'll just have to learn to live with it. You can always quit. Your life will only improve because of it. It isn't oppression, its just the consequence of your personal decision to smoke. Sometimes personal decisions carry very public consequences. This is one of those decisions.

Ket
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Your life will only improve because of it.

Now, that's debatable. Never really understood this stance. If you were to say my *health* would improve, sure, I'd be forced to agree. But my life? That's awfully presumptuous of you, Glenzig. There is this idea that people have where they think all smokers are being held against their will by the habit of smoking and that, given a choice, free of withdraws and cravings, they'd immediately opt for a smoke free lifestyle. That's just not true. I LIKE smoking. It's a lifestyle I choose, yes, but like many other choices people make, both as individuals and as a culture, it does harm innocent bystanders. If folks are going to pick on smokers, maybe they should also turn their attention to parts of our culture and way of living that does real harm.

I don't really have a problem with folks not wanting to spend inordinate amounts of time in a cloud of smoke - I just don't appreciate choices taken away from me. Bars, as individual establishments, should be free to decide whether they want to be smoke free or not, not forced.

All that said, a lot of this is just me blowing smoke out of my ass in a friendly debate. Actually, as a fellow Vanguard-ian, I have a lot of respect for you and promise to not blow that smoke in your face.

-Ket

Whirled
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
here's a TL;DR answer:

I used to smoke... LOTS!
I stopped & my health & life got better.
There was much rejoicing!

p.s. = Try not to let other ppl's actions (( the staring)) make any impact on you.

p.p.s. = LLAP

Glenzig
08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Now, that's debatable. Never really understood this stance. If you were to say my *health* would improve, sure, I'd be forced to agree. But my life? That's awfully presumptuous of you, Glenzig. There is this idea that people have where they think all smokers are being held against their will by the habit of smoking and that, given a choice, free of withdraws and cravings, they'd immediately opt for a smoke free lifestyle. That's just not true. I LIKE smoking. It's a lifestyle I choose, yes, but like many other choices people make, both as individuals and as a culture, it does harm innocent bystanders. If folks are going to pick on smokers, maybe they should also turn their attention to parts of our culture and way of living that does real harm.

I don't really have a problem with folks not wanting to spend inordinate amounts of time in a cloud of smoke - I just don't appreciate choices taken away from me. Bars, as individual establishments, should be free to decide whether they want to be smoke free or not, not forced.

All that said, a lot of this is just me blowing smoke out of my ass in a friendly debate. Actually, as a fellow Vanguard-ian, I have a lot of respect for you and promise to not blow that smoke in your face.

-Ket

Thank you. I appreciate your candor in your responses. I'm sure you would agree though, that better overall health and more money left in your bank account, not to mention the freedom to enjoy hobbies without the constant nagging of "man I need a cigarette" in the back of your mind, would equate to an improved life.

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-11-2014, 03:34 PM

I'm not saying I'm an advocate of 60s style of unprotected sex orgies in public playgrounds, pools, and parks- not at all. I am, however, saying that I'm tired of being forced to go home, pay for a hotel or use some dirty as restroom to have sex with my girlfriend and STILL get dirty looks thrown my way. If I'm going to get dirty looks, I'd prefer to do it without spending the extra effort.

That, and when I go to a pool hall, it's not for a few rounds. It's for a marathon. I love pool. We all do things that increase our enjoyment of any given activity. Sex - or simply a good old fashioned BJ and shooting pool - greatly improves that experience for me.

Quit bringing me down!

Ket
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM

I'm not saying I'm an advocate of 60s style of unprotected sex orgies in public playgrounds, pools, and parks- not at all. I am, however, saying that I'm tired of being forced to go home, pay for a hotel or use some dirty as restroom to have sex with my girlfriend and STILL get dirty looks thrown my way. If I'm going to get dirty looks, I'd prefer to do it without spending the extra effort.

That, and when I go to a pool hall, it's not for a few rounds. It's for a marathon. I love pool. We all do things that increase our enjoyment of any given activity. Sex - or simply a good old fashioned BJ and shooting pool - greatly improves that experience for me.

Quit bringing me down!.

I ain't even mad. That was awesome.

-Ket

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
;)

fishingme
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm a smoker, I find what bugs me the most is cologne or perfume smells, most folk drench themselves in that shit so damn much they create an aura that's 25 feet around them. Shit for instance my boss, I can tell just by the smell of an area at work that he was there recently. And diesel trucks man, I'm shocked that there's so many on the road that can pass emissions.

Rhambuk
08-13-2014, 11:00 AM
you know its strong when you can smell anything as a smoker

Misto
08-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm a smoker, I find what bugs me the most is cologne or perfume smells, most BLACK PEOPLE drench themselves in that shit so damn much they create an aura that's 25 feet around them. Shit for instance my boss, I can tell just by the smell of an area at work that he was there recently. And diesel trucks man, I'm shocked that there's so many on the road that can pass emissions.

KagatobLuvsAnimu
08-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Racism

You've never encountered an Italian, have you?

fishingme
08-17-2014, 02:20 PM
funny enough the people im talking about are black and mexican lol

Tradesonred
08-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Dont think you can get a feel of how horrible this shit stinks until you stop smoking. Theres not that much that will make me veto a girl right off the bat but smoking is one. Racism another one.

myriverse
08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't really buy that nicotine is so difficult to quit. I smoked a pack a day for 27 years. Yes, I'd tried to quit several times that never went anywhere, but one day about 6 years ago, I got fed up. Quit cold turkey. I had none of the difficult withdrawal symptoms you hear about. No headaches, nausea, irritability; nothing. And I even lost 70 lbs shortly after.