PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering the switch

Kerafyrm
08-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Hello everyone! I have seen the various advertising for Red on the Blue forums and I believe I am ready to bite. I have only been playing on P99 for a couple of weeks. I do have a few questions if anyone would be able to answer them.

Does the server have an active EXP bonus? I looked it up but was confused by the answers.

I hear people talk about a close knit community. But also alot of griefers. For the most part are people pretty jovial. Example: Person A gets Ganked by Person B. Do they have a laugh about it in OOC or does it become a flame war?

How newbie friendly is the server? I'm not talking about handouts. I mean if a new player is leveling in a low level zone is it swarmed with griefers trying to keep them from leveling?

Needed classes?

Again I am sorry for the influx of questions. Just I am very passionate about my characters when I play and I enjoy a tight knit community. Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Farzo
08-08-2014, 09:35 AM
In short:

Not newbie friendly, you will die, it will be frustrating, however if you stick it out it's a great server.

Gotta move around abit to xp; don't whine in /ooc about been pvped people dislike it.

Once you log in quite a bit and level up ( it''s quite fast with the xp bonus) you'll find the nice people =)

WARNING:

You will have people trying to convince you of shit that happened up to 3 years ago on the server, just nod, and listen to their blah blah and remind yourself it has nothing to do with you as there are alot of haters/bitter people on this server with alot of snakey venom waiting for the new players.

A cleric,rogue,monk will get you a guild pronto! A Druid can solo/port/easy to level.
But play something you enjoy.

Jenni D
08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
just join nihi like every other player has done since 2012. #profit

Farzo
08-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Oh and the xp highway is: starting zones-->Unrest-->MM-->CoM

So naturally there is alot of PvP/Griefing etc. in those zones.

Farzo
08-08-2014, 09:46 AM
You can go 1-50 non-guilded, but post 50 it's best you join a guild as the server pretty much splits in to two groups:

Nilly and Anti Nilly ( + a small group of indifferent and solo PvPers)

Tassador
08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Just play make your own determination it's not splitting the atom it's fucking eq 16 years later.

rollin5k
08-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Def pay a soloable class and avoid high traffic areas. You will be killed by the unemployed otherwise. heavily twinked characters you literally can't kill will want to grief you. Drag you're pet to guards, train you etc.

rollin5k
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
All that excitement renders blue unplayable though!

dethbringre
08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Start as a porter or chanter/necro. Something that can solo easily.

Like above poster said, it doesnt take long to level up. Use that solo class to farm your true class some gear, it'll be much less painful to start up a class that cant solo well with 10-15k worth of gear.

Sektor
08-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Make a wizard

Cap3r3
08-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I leveled my mostly naked shaman to 50 fairly easily. I grouped in unrest, mm, and com without being pk'd but I did plug a handful of times since my gear was terrible. After my low 40s I soloed for the most part to 49/50.

compulsion
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Just I am very passionate about my characters when I play and I enjoy a tight knit community. Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Just play blue. Red is less grindy bullshit, and you can do 1-40 in a few days if you are vocal or just a more adept player. It is a ton of fun and can have some pretty intense moments if you look for them.

But if you are looking for community, this really really isn't the place. There are a handful of people on the server maybe who are legit friends, but this place is really about looking out for yourself.

I'm all for pop +1, but from the tone of your post, I don't think you would last 12h played. If you were a badass on VZTZ I'd say try it, since you would probably make it to 24h played while going 2k 55d and then quitting.

Swish
08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone! I have seen the various advertising for Red on the Blue forums and I believe I am ready to bite. I have only been playing on P99 for a couple of weeks. I do have a few questions if anyone would be able to answer them.

Does the server have an active EXP bonus? I looked it up but was confused by the answers.

I hear people talk about a close knit community. But also alot of griefers. For the most part are people pretty jovial. Example: Person A gets Ganked by Person B. Do they have a laugh about it in OOC or does it become a flame war?

How newbie friendly is the server? I'm not talking about handouts. I mean if a new player is leveling in a low level zone is it swarmed with griefers trying to keep them from leveling?

Needed classes?

Again I am sorry for the influx of questions. Just I am very passionate about my characters when I play and I enjoy a tight knit community. Thank you for any insight you can offer.

http://i.imgur.com/VLd4gi1.gif

Labanen
08-08-2014, 12:39 PM
just join nihi like every other player has done since 2012. #profit
still awaiting your app...

Malone88
08-08-2014, 02:11 PM
But if you are looking for community, this really really isn't the place. There are a handful of people on the server maybe who are legit friends, but this place is really about looking out for yourself.

Disagree. Have made better friends on red -- very decent folks who aren't twinked out like everyone is on blue.
Have been grouping with them nightly and the xp bonus is so worth it. I've even made friends with some pk'ers.
Most are cool peeps if you don't get too rustled after a pvp loss. Certain classes can avoid PvP pretty well. Gating classes, bards, etc.
Wizard/Druid would be a good starting class because of ports and druid gets SoW. I find healers and chanters are low numbers
because I guess they are harder to PvP with.

Having a thick skin and selective hearing are a plus on red. OOC and Forum chat can be toxic, just tune it out.

Jenni D
08-08-2014, 02:34 PM
hi ruban. good to see you are still around. my fave nilly!

Kergan
08-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Guide for new players, presented in timeline form:

Week 1: Create a cleric, shaman, druid or mage. Take 1 week to get level 50 with exp bonus.
Week 2-4: Apply to Nihilum, raid for 2 weeks.
Week 5: Get your first Phara Dar loot

Nirgon
08-08-2014, 03:38 PM

Needed classes?

Resists are going to work muuuch better in an upcoming patch.

Can't wait!

Uuruk
08-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Don't play on server. It's toxic as fuck.

Clark
08-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Guide for new players, presented in timeline form:

Week 1: Create a cleric, shaman, druid or mage. Take 1 week to get level 50 with exp bonus.
Week 2-4: Apply to Nihilum, raid for 2 weeks.
Week 5: Get your first Phara Dar loot

Lol

Silent
08-09-2014, 06:57 AM
When I stopped playing a few weeks or so back, The wave of new people leveling up were ranging from 40s to mid 50s and there was tons of pvp in this range compared to 60. I am unsure if there are new waves of people leveling newer characters, or more new players like yourself starting but the group bonus is too good to pass up.

That being said, being able to bind + port is great for pvp(get ganked in mistmoore, bound outside recover corpse easily as opposed to running from fay or other). Druids are great to have, but the pvp for some is kinda meh til like 52+. Wizards aren't too gear dependant at start compared to the nuke damage they can do but you will be a easy kill for a twink rogue or SK etc.

All in all I always will say play what you will enjoy the most, be it a necro or a warrior whatever. Clerics/Enchanter/Shaman always seem to be in high demand if you plan on doing some PVE content as well. Rogues are always being snatched up due to how easy it is to toss an epic on them and see how well they do with a set of mithril arms/legs and other cheap gear. The rogue epic alone is GG and having a rogue squad in pvp is always good. But I am unsure of the end game pvp status atm! You are unlikely to get an epic pre 50 on a rogue unless you find a guild early on with a MQ ready that will trust you or you buy a MQ not sure what they are goin for maybe 30k still shrug. Former blue players can always trade some currency at a cost.

Tacitus
08-09-2014, 07:35 AM
As a new red player lower levels will become a struggle especially if you roll a melee for your first class. I suggest you make a wizard if you want to shine on the leaderboard or make a druid, mage or another farming class that you can benefit from. Crushbone> Unrest>MM<SolB will make your exp bar fly, i got to 50 in 2 weeks of playtime with pure grouping. This comes with a price though as there are alot of de leveled and overgeared twinks roaming the area with 1 goal. Just dont get discouraged, their goal is to make you quit, you just have to keep sticking through. Once you get 50 Join a crew and you will have INSANE amounts of fun.
I'd suggest rolling to Red now if your looking to do it at all, perfect timing.

LostCause
08-09-2014, 07:36 AM
with the up coming changes melee healers / enc best bet

Swish
08-09-2014, 07:54 AM
As a new red player lower levels will become a struggle especially if you roll a melee for your first class. I suggest you make a wizard if you want to shine on the leaderboard or make a druid, mage or another farming class that you can benefit from. Crushbone> Unrest>MM<SolB will make your exp bar fly, i got to 50 in 2 weeks of playtime with pure grouping. This comes with a price though as there are alot of de leveled and overgeared twinks roaming the area with 1 goal. Just dont get discouraged, their goal is to make you quit, you just have to keep sticking through. Once you get 50 Join a crew and you will have INSANE amounts of fun.
I'd suggest rolling to Red now if your looking to do it at all, perfect timing.

That's good advice all around :)

Farzo
08-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Yep Tacitus' advice is spot on.

mtb tripper
08-11-2014, 04:34 AM
come an play