PDA

View Full Version : S3D files

phacemeltar
08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
looking for help or insight in editing the s3d files in the EQ directory. i am looking to make some edits to my game, and am struggling to find the appropriate software.

Nysus
08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Extract using http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemulator/files/OpenZone/S3DSpy%201.2/
Make edits, save as BMP
Load back in using S3D Spy

Zaela
08-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Alternatively, EQGExport (www.shardsofdalaya.com/EQGExport.7z).

If you just want to change images, you can save them as PNG to upload them and they'll work, although they'll still need to be named "whatever.bmp" or "whatever.dds" unless you change the data in the WLD file. May need to be flipped upside down, though, assuming the original is really a BMP and not a DDS just called BMP (they were lazy when they updated textures etc)

phacemeltar
08-09-2014, 01:56 AM
thanks guys, this is great software!

Nysus
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Alternatively, EQGExport (www.shardsofdalaya.com/EQGExport.7z).

If you just want to change images, you can save them as PNG to upload them and they'll work, although they'll still need to be named "whatever.bmp" or "whatever.dds" unless you change the data in the WLD file. May need to be flipped upside down, though, assuming the original is really a BMP and not a DDS just called BMP (they were lazy when they updated textures etc)

Wait, so you can save the textures as .png files, rename them as .bmp files, load them up and EQ will recognize them?

Zaela
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Wait, so you can save the textures as .png files, rename them as .bmp files, load them up and EQ will recognize them?

Yeah, the client uses a generalized image loader. The first few bytes of the binary header (the "magic word/number") are what determine the actual type.

Nysus
08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Well dangit, that's good news and bad news. The bad news is that I have to go back and resave and import the ~20 zones I've already upressed. The good news though is that the files will be ~40% smaller.

Derubael
08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Was just reading Zaela's Eqemu thread on his extraction/import tool. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. I can't wait to cook up something awesome and have Rogean slip it into the next patch =P

Nysus
08-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Oh snap, even jpegs work. Now my files will be ~80% smaller.