PDA

View Full Version : Network Issue: "Connection to Server Could Not Be Reached"

Alluveal
08-06-2014, 09:09 PM
So, here's a weird one, but I thought I would ask. (And there may be no solution, but what the heck? Let's see!)

I installed everything on my PC at school. (I'm a gaming researcher, so we have a multitude of games on our PCs here.) But, I cannot log in. It gives this error:

"A connection to the server could not be reached. Please check your internet connection to make sure you are online."

(Then "If the problem persists....")

I don't even get a list of servers. This is when I first enter my userID and PW.

So, I had my laptop with me and decided to try it on my laptop. (Which I used to play at home.) I connected to the school's wireless. Got in. Played a bit and logged. BUT, when I hooked up the NETWORK line directly to my laptop and disconnected the wireless, I got the same error above on my laptop.

This leads me to believe that the network line (that goes to the ethernet) is simply not letting me through. That some ports might be blocked, or some settings might be wonky.

I tried multiple lines in our game lab, and they all did the same thing. BUT, they connect just fine with other games (just installed GuildWars 2 last week, have WoW on another computer, and a few STEAM games as well). They all load up just fine. For some reason, though, the direct-line network does NOT like P1999 Everquest.

Things I have tried:

Uninstalling/Re-installing
Opening Port 5998
Changing Hostfile to .org (instead of .net)
Giving EQ access through firewall

Just curious if anyone has any ideas about this. I have some fellow classmates (and faculty) who want to check it out. And I'd like to play as well. Just not sure why it would work on wireless but not through the direct ethernet cord. (I'd settle for wireless, but we're in a "Bermuda Triangle" area of campus where wireless drops a LOT and is not reliable.)

Suggestions? :)