PDA

View Full Version : Client crash

danubi
08-03-2014, 04:08 PM
when i press play everquest, my client crashes.

tried reinstalling, but notthin works \

any help?

mtcorias
08-05-2014, 09:56 PM
I've had this same problem, it was working fine last night, but since then not only does it crash when I hit "play" but it also doesn't play the music when it starts either.

I tried reinstalling and playing around with my resolution (can't figure out how to make it windowed though).

Was looking forward to revisiting my misspent youth, maybe it's a sign..

Daywolf
08-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Install WinEQ 2.0, give that a try. It's legal here, endorsed, free, and fixes a lot of crash problems. I couldn't play here without it, not even get past the load screen.

mtcorias
08-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Are there instructions for how to configure it? I've used Wine with my mac years ago and unless things have changed I don't recall it being overly user friendly.

Thanks for the reply though!

Daywolf
08-05-2014, 10:13 PM
You just install it then run winEQ. If you have EQ installed in the default location, than it's already configured; you just select EQ default from winEQ list. Also make sure you are not patching from live, and that you get the official p99 patch here.

Haven't run it under wine on my linux box, let alone a mac. But for the OP anyway, this will most likely fix the problem for Winder$, good chance of it anyway.

phacemeltar
08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
OP - what kind of crash are you getting? can you SS or provide an error message?

mtcorias
08-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Can't speak for the OP but mine simply crashes when I hit "play", no error message, nothing. Just quits to desktop.

Tried WineEQ (followed the instructions from the other thread) and no luck, still crashes to desktop the moment I hit "Play" after choosing a server.

I've played around with the resolutions, tried windowed and full screen, tried different servers, tried reinstalling, tried saving it to the default folder and a new one, nothing appears to work... Very odd.

As noted it has worked already for me the other day when I first installed Project 1999. It also, as noted, doesn't play the music during start up.

Daywolf
08-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Does it work on other servers in the list? I had the oddest game-breaking bug for the longest time, still worked on other servers in the list, just not here after some early p99 patch. Only resolved when I got a newer/different computer. Though I'd get to character select, just not past that here. Yay for 10yo game clients compiled to run on XP..

danubi
08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Mine simply crashes aswell after i hit Play, no error msg or notthing.

I reinstalled the game, played around with the resolution, full screen. even updated my video card drivers.. and still the game just closes after i hit "play Game" in server selection screen.
Program is allowed thrugh windows firewall, and virus program.

Havent had any problems before, this problem started 2 days ago.. normally ican play just fine

but notthin i do seems to fix it

Swish
08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Yeah this was happening to me last night.

1. Type in password and get to server select screen.
2. Hit to play any server (not just the P99 servers).
3. Find yourself at your desktop with no trace that EQ was ever running :p

Reinstalled just now and not even getting past the login screen (perma "Logging into the server, please wait" message).

EDIT: Turned off firewall just now... same result :/

Swish
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Add to the checklist:

Tried allowing an exception to windows firewall to get "eqgame.exe" past it.
Tried running P99 as an administrator
Using an ethernet cable, stable connection
Tried WinEQ

Still can't get past login screen :(

Swish
08-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Before anyone does a "not classic" on me, I haven't put Duxa back in yet... forever this screen :(

http://i.minus.com/jkiZAs4bw5Xyk.png

Swish
08-06-2014, 05:25 PM
OK got to the server select screen.

The answer is in the announcements section but I'll post it here to help anyone still struggling.

Find your "eqhost.txt" file.

You need this in there...

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

Now if only I could figure out why it crashes when I try to select a server. Insta-desktop on trying any server.

Auridan
08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Add my friend to the list of people with this issue. We were playing fine just last night and now he install crashes after server select. Did something change last night/today?

Auridan
08-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Has anyone had any luck with fixing this?

danubi
08-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Was on 3 hours ago, now i cant get on..

im getting "an unknown error occured while trying to join the server" happens with all servers, not just project 1999. or i get instant crash when i press "Play Everquest"

Baraki
08-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Add me to the list. Same thing - crashes to desktop as soon as I hit Play. Was working fine last night and this morning.

EDIT: As with others, I did a full re-install and still get the same problem.

Swish
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Ended up doing a system restore back to 2nd August. Everything works fine again.

Really weird :/

Daywolf
08-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Ended up doing a system restore back to 2nd August. Everything works fine again.

Really weird :/
Yeah I tried about everything a few years back when mine quit working. Except one thing that might have been a last resort and didn't think of at the time. Installing VMware.

sumguy
08-10-2014, 08:37 PM
i am currently having the same problem with crashing when i hit enter world at character select screen. what product did you install with VMware that got your's working again?