PDA

View Full Version : Why do people use fraps?

Baler
07-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Fraps is by far one of the worst game recording programs now. It throttles game fps to match what it is recording at. It jumps in framerate in intervals of 15 if it can't keep up. It uses a ton of hdd space. Hell you might as well be recording in lossless if you have that much hdd space. Fraps is just so bad compared to more modern recording programs. Not to mention it has a Large Performance Hit when used.

Bandicam [pay]
Dxtory [pay]
mirillis Action! [pay]
Open Broadcaster Software [free]
MSI AfterBurner [Free]
Shadowplay ([Free]nvidia gtx600+)

These are all better options that can provide high quality recordings at lower hdd space usage with the proper setup and codec.

A codec for people who want high quality with low hdd space is x264vfw.
A codec for people who want maximum quality with large hdd space that can read/write fast or have an ssd is Lagarith Lossless.

Zaela
07-31-2014, 06:02 PM
I think it's pretty obvious what people are going to say here.

Faron
07-31-2014, 06:07 PM
need dat fps so you can see at nonstop eq action

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 08:17 PM
I tried fraps once, free trial or something so got a sweet 10 second video...

im not going to pay to record playing p99 for the offchance I get trained or something. that's just me though

Baler
07-31-2014, 08:36 PM
I also forgot to mention that the youtube codec sucks! So if you're recording a video with a high quality codec and then only planning on uploading it to youtube then you're doing yourself a great injustice. Youtube videos are only 30fps max without using tricks/techniques. So uploading a 60fps video to youtube is a waste of time and resources.

I know EQ isn't the most high fps game. Recording doesn't just have to be for catching people breaking rules or doing 'bad' things. How about some raid videos or hell some more pvp videos from all those freaks who spam red or die all the time.

Rhambuk
07-31-2014, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=Baler;1558900]How about some raid videos QUOTE]

I want some gm event videos

Tiggles
07-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Do all of them allow you to queue up video?

Baler
08-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Do all of them allow you to queue up video?
What do you mean exactly?

Shadowplay and Afterburner can pre-record the last ~10+ minutes of whats happened, and you can even record them to ram or hdd. Even with Third party codecs such as x264vfw or lagarlith.

Or if you mean by queuing up videos most of these programs can record for a certain amount of time then stop and start a new recording.